Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
All right, Just finished the install. Took a couple of hours including wiring. I used the eTrailer videos for the install. All of my notes below reference the steps in the videos (with some of my own time savers) so watch those first before installing

Just to confirm, the above 2019 Curt hitch fits PERFECTLY on the 2020 Crosstrek. Couple of install notes below

- The exhaust does not need to be dropped. In fact, it kind of helps to leave it in place for a one man install. You can balance the hitch on top of it while getting the bolts in place.

- The driver side is a little harder to thread the bolts through because there is less vertical clearance (due to the exhaust), so I would recommend starting your bolts on that side first

- I used a little bit of spray paint to cover where I filed the hole larger (I used a small 1/4" rotary file fitted into a cordless drill)

- 110 ft lbs is a LOT of torque (I actually broke an old 3/8" extension)! If you don't have a torque wrench, you better crank hard

- The wiring was pretty easy. Just make sure you have some extra zip ties to keep it high and clear of the exhaust, as it runs right next to it.

- I have the trailer plug zip-tied top the cross bar for now. I'll probably get a mounting bracket at some point

- The 2019 video shows the correct place to find the factory plug (under the rear hatch threshold trim), but be careful with the two fasteners holding that trim piece because they can fling away. Put your hand in front of them when prying off

- The eTrailer video recommended to route the wire behind the side trim panel. I didn't feel the need to because it worked good routing it adjacent to the spare tire, so I didn't have to remove the side panels. I used some of my own double sided tape to stick the module next to the spare. I did have to release the factory wire bundle a little to have enough length (just break the small piece of tape holding it). I don't have a problem with this routing because you almost never remove the rear floor panel so cosmetically, it's fine

That's about it. Thanks to those who took the plunge and tested the hitch out before me! Now time to let Curt know that the 2019 hitch does indeed work beautifully on the 2020 model

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek 6mt Premium
8 Posts
Looks like Curt updated their web site to reflect that this hitch IS compatible with the 2020 model.
I think etrailer is listing all of the hitches as compatible with the 2020s now. Got my parts list for a drawtite class III and trailer brakes last week.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts