Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2020 Crosstrek Premium on order and I am sure the headlights are like my wife's 2019 Impreza, Not really all the bright.
I have searched but the info I found is a bit dated, Looking for recommendations to improve the lighting.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the 2019 Premium 6-spd CT. Before I received my car I had thought about getting the LED bulbs from Diode Dynamics but decided against it because I think the LEDs would be constantly on High Beam during the day due to the daytime running lights (I don't know of any dimmable LEDs available for headlights). That said, I find the OEM bulbs to be plenty bright. In fact every single day I drive into work I have one or more drivers flashing their high beams at me! I give them a quick flash back and all is good. Hold off on buying any bulb replacements until you receive your car and test it for yourself. You may be surprised!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Check with Nick @ Diode Dynamics.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru XV Crosstrek
30 Posts
I was the same way. I have LED's in my Tacoma and when I got my CrossTrek the bulbs were just not bright enough. I eneded up going with the Diode Dynamics ones as when i called them they walked me through what I needed. Yes the LED high beams for the DRL are bright but in the middle of the you want visibility and no one is going to flash you for them anyways.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
115 Posts
I was the same way. I have LED's in my Tacoma and when I got my CrossTrek the bulbs were just not bright enough. I eneded up going with the Diode Dynamics ones as when i called them they walked me through what I needed. Yes the LED high beams for the DRL are bright but in the middle of the you want visibility and no one is going to flash you for them anyways.
So you're saying the LED high beams do not run at reduced power like the halogens and run at full brightness even as DRL's? Also, do you notice any flickering in the DRL's?

I'm a new owner of a 2020 Premium 6MT and would love to hear these answers. Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Subaru XV Crosstrek
30 Posts
So you're saying the LED high beams do not run at reduced power like the halogens and run at full brightness even as DRL's? Also, do you notice any flickering in the DRL's?

I'm a new owner of a 2020 Premium 6MT and would love to hear these answers. Thanks!
Im a new 2020 owner as well as I got mine at the beginning of the year. They run at full brightness as a DRL. This is directly from their website:

Features
  • Direct replacement for Subaru Crosstrek high beam headlight bulbs
  • Correct optical focus for increased output with no added glare
  • Perfect 9005 fitment, no modification needed
  • Designed and validated to OEM lighting standards
  • Operates at full brightness level for DRL
  • Engineered and Manufactured in USA
I liked that all of it was a direct plug and play with no mods or anything else needed. I havent noticed any flickering from any of it. They sent the anti flicker kit with mine that is another direct plug and play as well.

I ended up ordering the Fog lights as well and just love the look the give off. Everything is right where it needs to be and I didnt need to adjust any of the beams. I would give them a call for free shipping or message one of the guys on here if you decide to go that route.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
115 Posts
Thanks for the detailed reply - it all sounds great! Did you have to pay extra for the anti-flicker kit? Also, did you have to remove any pieces of the trim or car so you could remove the old bulbs and replace them?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru XV Crosstrek
30 Posts
Thanks for the detailed reply - it all sounds great! Did you have to pay extra for the anti-flicker kit? Also, did you have to remove any pieces of the trim or car so you could remove the old bulbs and replace them?
No it was included with my high beams. I don’t know if it was completely needed but I put it on anyways.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
115 Posts
Awesome. Thanks again for the help!

One more question: Did you need to remove any trim pieces or car parts when replacing the stock bulbs?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru XV Crosstrek
30 Posts
Awesome. Thanks again for the help!

One more question: Did you need to remove any trim pieces or car parts when replacing the stock bulbs?
It was open hood and on the battery side just reach down and unscrew old plug new in. On the passenger side I had to just pull those black tabs off the front and the silver tabs on the side as seen in the picture. Then unplugged old bulb put in new one, zip tied the cables to keep it clean in there, and put it back on. Nothing is off permanently all told took me about 15 minutes.

Attachments

·
Registered
882 Posts
Throwing out the welcome mat for your first post...Greetings from the Battlefields of Gettysburg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Folks, I have a 2019 Crosstrek Premium.

I have Both Diode Dynamic H11 Low beam and SL1 Yellow Fog lights. They are amazing!
I had to return my DD 9005 High beam bulb because It was turned on full blast for DRL mode.
Incoming traffic didn't appreciate high beam to the face during the day, so I removed them for safety reasons.

I tried Morimoto LED 9005 for my DRL and it dimmed on DRL Mode, which was great, but it flicker like crazy, so I returned them as well. I even tried using their anti-flicker module, but it still didn't work.

I tried many different other high beam bulb for my crosstrek, but none of them worked properly when on DRL mode.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Hi Folks, I have a 2019 Crosstrek Premium.

I have Both Diode Dynamic H11 Low beam and SL1 Yellow Fog lights. They are amazing!
I had to return my DD 9005 High beam bulb because It was turned on full blast for DRL mode.
Incoming traffic didn't appreciate high beam to the face during the day, so I removed them for safety reasons.

I tried Morimoto LED 9005 for my DRL and it dimmed on DRL Mode, which was great, but it flicker like crazy, so I returned them as well. I even tried using their anti-flicker module, but it still didn't work.

I tried many different other high beam bulb for my crosstrek, but none of them worked properly when on DRL mode.
You might try 9011s to replace the 9005s. The color is not white.

To modify;

1 - 15 of 15 Posts