Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm a brand new Crosstrek owner. I just got done installing the factory crossbars. I followed the instructions to the letter:
  • I positioned the front crossbar 5" behind the frontmost point it could go.
  • I positioned the rear crossbar 1.5" in front of the furthermost point it could go.
I'm writing because my install doesn't look like the photo on the Subaru website, and the front crossbar does appear a little further back than where I'd think it "should" go.

I'm curious to see where other people have the bars installed and why. Photos attached. Thank you!

Brett

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would place them where you think they will be most useful. With mine, I have them spaced to easily handle the wood,ladders, kayaks, etc. I put up there. The front bar is almost even with the "b" column, and the rear one near the end of the rack. I would figure the further back you can put the front bar, the less you will hear the wind noise when travelling at highway speeds.

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
270 Posts
I've got a 2019 Limited with sunroof. My front crossbar is about even with the back edge of the sunroof, which looks like it's about 5 or 6 inches back. I think you're good. Of course, the crossbars are meant to be adjustable depending on what you are carrying on them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a 2019 Limited with sunroof. My front crossbar is about even with the back edge of the sunroof, which looks like it's about 5 or 6 inches back. I think you're good. Of course, the crossbars are meant to be adjustable depending on what you are carrying on them.
Yes, I did notice the diagram in the installation manual seems to show it roughly lining up with the back edge of the sunroof...so that definitely sounds right.

Also, I know from being tangentially involved in product development for various employers, it's not uncommon for the marketing team to photograph something installed incorrectly. This isn't a dig on marketers, as oftentimes photographs are of pre-production samples and instructions haven't been written yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would place them where you think they will be most useful. With mine, I have them spaced to easily handle the wood,ladders, kayaks, etc. I put up there. The front bar is almost even with the "b" column, and the rear one near the end of the rack. I would figure the further back you can put the front bar, the less you will hear the wind noise when travelling at highway speeds.
Thank you!

·
Registered
Totalled my 2018 6MT. Got a 2020 just before the Covid-19 hit.
112 Posts
I have mine as far apart as they can be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts