Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have the full wiring diagrams for the 2020 crosstrek if anyone else would like them, i have yet been able to convert the page into a pdf or docx without losing the images so for now it just a complete webpage file.

be advised due to the large size of the page and file i have only been able to get IE 11 64 bit to open the page and not crash the tab from running out of memory.

and as such i also can't upload it here, so here it is in my gdrive: Link

download and open in IE (or another browser if you find one that won't crash)

and if anyone finds a way to convert it without losing the images please come back and upload it.

also here is the body repair manual if anyone needs it, found it useful in seeing where i could route custom circuit lines through the frame.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,827 Posts
Do you have permission to post these? Often, they are covered by copyright.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have permission to post these? Often, they are covered by copyright.
well a lot of manuals from subaru are up on numerous well known public sites at this point and for a large part so is the wiring diagrams with a few bits and pieces being missing concerning the new features for the 2020 models.
so i don't think they are really pursuing it at all.

if someone actually takes issue with it DMCA wise or the like then i'll pull the downloads and do something else, but i don't think that will happen, it's not like i'm posting their entire service manual, just the wiring diagram picture references, wouldn't have a need to if they would offer any help or public documentation on identifying connectors or wire colors when you need to do work on your own vehicle.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,827 Posts
Yeah, it's a murky area. It bothered me in the past how much I had to pay for shop manuals (actual bound manuals, long before the Internet). I can see the manufacturer's concerns, though, especially regarding liability if they are seen to endorse someone making DIY fixes and changes.

However, just because something is already up on a site somewhere doesn't mean it's now public domain.

·
Super Moderator
2013 XV Crosstrek, Tangerine Orange
3,398 Posts
Yep, murky. American copyright law allows for something called "fair use," which involves sharing an excerpt of a larger work, but the definition of what constitutes an excerpt is open to interpretation. If Subaru of America complained we'd of course need to take these down, but unless that happens I think it's reasonable to consider these "fair use" excerpts. And a public service!

(My bigger concern on this topic is the reposting of things like paywalled magazine articles -- we'd still remove those.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yep, murky. American copyright law allows for something called "fair use," which involves sharing an excerpt of a larger work, but the definition of what constitutes an excerpt is open to interpretation. If Subaru of America complained we'd of course need to take these down, but unless that happens I think it's reasonable to consider these "fair use" excerpts. And a public service!

(My bigger concern on this topic is the reposting of things like paywalled magazine articles -- we'd still remove those.)
that was in general my thinking on the diagrams, they are in and of themselves only a portion of the information from the manual and unless you already know a fair bit in general about cars or electronic circuits, are largely useless; that and i think they comprise less than 5-8% of the entire service manual so by both measures they are excerpts.

that and trying to hack and test your way through systems and circuits is such a PITA (what i tried to do before i broke down and paid the stupid fee) that these at least really need to be up on some site somewhere honestly.

and as for liability, last i knew there was boilerplate hold harmless agreements in almost every automobile manufacturers wheel house that is somehow usually referenced on their site or in owners manuals about how you absolve them of pretty much everything concerning any modified systems once you start altering core designs like electrical systems.

subaru is the outlier in that they still publicly honor your warranty if your mod was not the cause of the failure. (they all are supposed to honor it in the USA but others make you fight it)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts