Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At just over the 60K warranty (and after having spent $1.5K on 60K recommended service), the vehicle failed to start. Jump starting worked, but I got the message "hybrid system failure" . In addition to needing a starter battery replacement (which is cheap), the dealer says there is major corrosion between the inverter and the harness . The inverter needs to be replaced, that part alone is $4K, total fix is $6K (see attached quote). Anyone else have a similar experience with inverter issues? What would cause such bad corrosion? Is this random bad luck?

This model seems problematic, 3 out of 4 wheel bearings failed (at least those failed within the warranty period).

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
1,134 Posts
At just over the 60K warranty (and after having spent $1.5K on 60K recommended service), the vehicle failed to start. Jump starting worked, but I got the message "hybrid system failure" . In addition to needing a starter battery replacement (which is cheap), the dealer says there is major corrosion between the inverter and the harness . The inverter needs to be replaced, that part alone is $4K, total fix is $6K (see attached quote). Anyone else have a similar experience with inverter issues? What would cause such bad corrosion? Is this random bad luck?

This model seems problematic, 3 out of 4 wheel bearings failed (at least those failed within the warranty period).
I've had my car for over 3 years and 16,000mi with no issues. Any chance you have pictures of the major corrosion between the inverter and the harness? I'm curious where exactly that is on the car if it's somehow outside the car exposed to the elements. Do you keep your car stored outside in the elements or do you have a garage to park in? Also, no issues with my wheel bearings.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I'm coming up on 40K miles on mine and had to replace the starter battery two months ago. I find your post alarming and would love to get more details. How do you find this corrosion? Where is it specifically?

Where is the inverter you refer to?

Do you have salted roads in the winter? What?

EDIT: here's a link to that expensive part

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I'm coming up on 40K miles on mine and had to replace the starter battery two months ago. I find your post alarming and would love to get more details. How do you find this corrosion? Where is it specifically?

Where is the inverter you refer to?

Do you have salted roads in the winter? What?

EDIT: here's a link to that expensive part

My thoughts as well. Sounds like this person lives in a high salt environment, be it Northeast salted winters or along the coast with salt water air.

My car is garage kept and barely driven in the snow so I shouldn't have to worry about salt corrosion and I am 2 hours from a beach town.

From what I was able to locate, I believe the inverter is under the hood, but I'm not positive.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Doesn’t the Crosstrek use Toyota’s hybrid tech?

I know Toyota is having corrosion issues with some models.

Yeah, it's Toyota's tech, but it's laid out differently. The subaru is a full mechanical AWD, not selective like Toyota where if the front wheels slip, it transfers power to an electric motor on the rear axle. Ultimately, I'm not sure if this issue is the same as what's happening to this person's Subaru.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2019 Crosstrek hybrid also experienced a major corrosion issue after 3 winters and 57,000 miles. I live in the Northeast where a lot of salt and brine is used on the roads. The vehicle will not run, not even the gas engine. I had it towed to the dealer a month ago. After waiting 12 days just to have a hybrid technician look at it, they said that there is corrosion on the DC to DC converter and that it is a $7500 part which is not covered under warranty because it’s environmental. (I had the dealer undercoat the vehicle (which doesn’t protect this part), I park in a garage all year, and I had it washed religiously, especially in the winter). My dealer is trying to get Subaru to pay for it, but after 2 weeks, no answer. I called Subaru of America and they gave me a $300 voucher. I don’t think they knew what I was talking about. My dealer says this is the 5th hybrid they’ve seen with this problem. In my opinion, this is a serious design problem in the Northeast and Subaru needs to fix it.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My 2019 Crosstrek hybrid also experienced a major corrosion issue after 3 winters and 57,000 miles. I live in the Northeast where a lot of salt and brine is used on the roads. The vehicle will not run, not even the gas engine. I had it towed to the dealer a month ago. After waiting 12 days just to have a hybrid technician look at it, they said that there is corrosion on the DC to DC converter and that it is a $7500 part which is not covered under warranty because it’s environmental. (I had the dealer undercoat the vehicle (which doesn’t protect this part), I park in a garage all year, and I had it washed religiously, especially in the winter). My dealer is trying to get Subaru to pay for it, but after 2 weeks, no answer. I called Subaru of America and they gave me a $300 voucher. I don’t think they knew what I was talking about. My dealer says this is the 5th hybrid they’ve seen with this problem. In my opinion, this is a serious design problem in the Northeast and Subaru needs to fix it.
Where's the part that is corroded? Is it under the hood? Do you have any other information that would help others see if they are seeing any corrosion?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts