Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got an email notification a week or so ago about a new Nav/Map update and finally decided to do it this weekend. I used the Subaru Map Downloader to download the new map and install it on a SD drive. Took about 70 minutes to install(and a gallon of gas!) but the update appeared to go as planned.However, when I try to launch nav, I get the spinning sprocket of death on my screen and the nav software never loads. Just, "Navigation is Loading".

I waited 30 mins and nothing. Held the power button on the radio for 30 secs until it restarted...and nothing.

Any ideas?

David

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,210 Posts
So I got an email notification a week or so ago about a new Nav/Map update and finally decided to do it this weekend. I used the Subaru Map Downloader to download the new map and install it on a SD drive. Took about 70 minutes to install(and a gallon of gas!) but the update appeared to go as planned.However, when I try to launch nav, I get the spinning sprocket of death on my screen and the nav software never loads. Just, "Navigation is Loading".

I waited 30 mins and nothing. Held the power button on the radio for 30 secs until it restarted...and nothing.

Any ideas?

David
It should only take about 15 mins and you don't need the engine running. But if you rally have bricked it, you'll need to get it replaced by the dealer. Does the rest of the HU work?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks AstroKats, The rest works. It gets stuck on loading navigation whenever I try to start up Nav.

Just disconnected the battery and will let it sit for a while and see if that does anything. Had to do that with my wife's 18 OB whenever its HU locked up before it was replaced.

David

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,210 Posts
Thanks AstroKats, The rest works. It gets stuck on loading navigation whenever I try to start up Nav.

Just disconnected the battery and will let it sit for a while and see if that does anything. Had to do that with my wife's 18 OB whenever its HU locked up before it was replaced.

David
In that case, you could start over. Maybe the maps file were corrupt. I'd suggest trying a different USB drive with a new download. Format it first and make sure you "eject" it before unplugging it after the download in case it's still writing data.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,210 Posts
Also, there more info on the HU here:

Reactions: DaveTN

·
Registered
86 Posts
DaveTN, I was just about to down load that map update to a thumb drive, too. So I’m waiting to hear the outcome of your experience.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, that sucks....

No joy, Nav still bricked.

Used another USB drive and my desktop rather than my laptop to download a fresh map from the installer. Took about 45 mins on 300 MB fiber internet to download and install onto the USB drive.

This time I hooked my car up to the battery tender rather than running the engine. Inserted the thumb drive and turned on accessory and was prompted that the update was already installed. I chose the install anyway and it ran for 70 SEVENTY minutes! Update completed and I restarted the radio and the car. No nav. Just the spinning thing and "nav is loading".

Waited about 10 mins and went into settings and did a factory reset. No difference. Still get the "nav is loading.

Facepalm.....

David

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,210 Posts
Sorry, I guess a trip to the dealer is in your future...

I'm pretty sure a few people have done it successfully, so I'm not sure what it could have been.

They probably want the engine running to keep the voltage up. I've done every update with it just on ACC. but you had yours running and it still got bricked. Let us know what happens.

Reactions: DaveTN

·
Registered
40 Posts
You are not in your garage when doing all this are you? To me, your pictures seem to indicate that. Try pulling the car outside, if so.

I'm just curious if it's having trouble finding a satellite to complete the setup.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,210 Posts
You are not in your garage when doing all this are you? To me, your pictures seem to indicate that. Try pulling the car outside, if so.

I'm just curious if it's having trouble finding a satellite to complete the setup.
Good call - would be funny if that's what it was! 😸

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good thought but nope. Took the pictures in the garage due to the glare but kept it out in the driveway for quite some time trying to get it to work. Also drove around for 30 mins and no joy.
Clock is also off too. Had to change it from GPS time to manual time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That tells me, you have some sort of connection issue.....either with the satellites, or internet. I understand you can reboot the head unit, but not sure I'd do that just yet.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited
333 Posts
You had me worried. I just checked my Nav since I updated last week and maps are working. And yes, that update took over an hour! I leave it idling in the driveway since it’ll turn off the electronics after 30 minutes if the engine isn’t running. This why they tell us to have the engine running for the install.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You had me worried. I just checked my Nav since I updated last week and maps are working. And yes, that update took over an hour! I leave it idling in the driveway since it’ll turn off the electronics after 30 minutes if the engine isn’t running. This why they tell us to have the engine running for the install.

First (failed) update, I left it running...for the full 70 minutes. Second (also failed) update I did with it connected to the battery charger.

I've also done the 30 second power button reset, factory reset, and disconnected the battery. Drove to work this morning with the Nav screen on and at the end of my 30 minute commute, still no joy. Clear skies and no obstructions. No other external electronics except my phone (nav/GPS works fine on it)

David

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I called the dealer service department and explained the situation and all my troubleshooting and was told that "the radio is likely bad and will have to be replaced". First available service appointment is next week, in part due to my work schedule. However, they won't order another radio until they run the diagnostics.

At least CarPlay works.

David

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,210 Posts
I've read that it does that after a trip (e.g. if you're sitting in the car listening to the end of a radio segment) but haven't experienced it. If so, that could be reason they want you to leave the engine running...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update:
I tried another thumb drive, re-downloaded the update from the map downloader app, loaded it onto the new thumb drive and tried again.

Left the car in my driveway with the engine running and the update took just over 70 minutes to complete (which seems to be the norm). When the update completed, I removed the thumb drive and re-started the car and now navigation works!

Not sure why it took three times and so long. Updates are usually much easier than this. One of the memory cards was brand new, all three scan and work just fine.

Oh well, its working now.

Now to try my luck with the Outback (different download of course)

Thanks for all the replies, support, and suggestions.

David

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,210 Posts
Update:
I tried another thumb drive, re-downloaded the update from the map downloader app, loaded it onto the new thumb drive and tried again.

Left the car in my driveway with the engine running and the update took just over 70 minutes to complete (which seems to be the norm). When the update completed, I removed the thumb drive and re-started the car and now navigation works!

Not sure why it took three times and so long. Updates are usually much easier than this. One of the memory cards was brand new, all three scan and work just fine.

Oh well, its working now.

Now to try my luck with the Outback (different download of course)

Thanks for all the replies, support, and suggestions.

David
The OTA updates I've done have been around 15mins but no maps (without the engine running). We have nav but don't use it so I haven't been that motivated to try to update it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts