Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think it's about time to start a build thread to get the car up to date as far as what's been done. I built this car for my wife and baby girl as daily driver, do everything vehicle. We had a 2007 Outback which my wife loved but after a routine maintenance job that should have been no big deal, car was never the same after and the result was premature engine failure. At 12 years of age and over 150,000 miles it would have cost more to fix than it was worth. We decided it was time for the wife to get a new car. She said it had to be another Subaru and she wanted me to "make it cool". She wanted something slightly smaller than the Outback this time and fell in love the Subaru Crosstrek. We had looked for a few months while saving money aside then 4th of July weekend found the right sale at Subaru Of Spokane so we made the 3 hour drive over to pick up a car. We had originally decided on a black one which is what we made the drive over for but after arriving at the dealership and inspecting the car, my wife said Nope, I want that one instead...

We took home this 2019 Crosstrek Limited in Cool Grey Khaki. I was a bit shocked at first at the color and figured she'd hate it in a weeks time but it's her car so whatever she wants, fine by me. Car is loaded with leather, eyesight, steering responsive LED headlights, etc. Here it is on the day we brought it home:

Knowing we were getting the car, I had a pretty good pile of parts ready to go already when we brought it home:

So the very first mod on the car was the new Prinsu Design Studios rack for the Crosstrek. Car was about a week old when I started tearing it apart. The Prinsu rack requires removal of the factory OE Subaru rails. It is a full replacement rack system that bolts into OE rail locations using 6 bolts on each side. Removing the rails requires dropping the sides of the headliner access the nuts on bottom side of roof in order to pull the rails. Here's what you get with the Prinsu rack- I opted for the optional noise reducing trim as well to help with wind noise on the highway.

And here's the rack assembled ready for install:

Because the install of the Prinsu rack required removing factory rails, and that meant dropping headliner a bit, and because our old 2007 Outback was a pretty loud vehicle on the highway, I decided this was a good time to add some sound deadening material inside the car. I opted to remove the headliner entirely so I could apply some Dynamat Extreme and Dynaliner to the roof of the car as this was perfect time to do so. Here's shot of the scariest thing I've done to the car yet- removing this thing was a nightmare. It is a thin material and super easy to bend which if you do will crease and be wrecked. This was not easy to work with but I got it out:

This is where things got ugly. The wife happened to take something out to the garbage and had to walk through the garage where I was working to get to the garbage cans outside. Her brand new 2019 Crosstrek was about 1 week old when she came out and saw this. The look I got sent shivers down my spine. All I could say was "Just walk away Babe, just walk away".

Here's with the rails removed:

I installed the Dynamat Extreme on the roof first:

Then overlaid that with the dynaliner:

And with everything finally back together, here is the new Prinsu Design Studios rack on the car:

More to come...

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So after the Prinsu rack was installed, I then moved to adding the rest of the Dynamat Extreme to rest of car. I did all doors covering as much of the inside of main door shell then the full outside of the door just under the interior trim panel with as much material as I could. After the doors were done, I moved to rear of cargo area and did the entire floor area in back, as well as the rear main cargo door. I can't recall exact numbers now but with the roof done, all the doors and cargo area, testing with meter showed a 13 db drop in interior noise volume overall, in town and at highway speeds. It was impressive. Car "felt" better opening and closing doors, radio sounds better, it's more quiet inside- overall I was so impressed with the difference it made inside the Crosstrek that I want to do my 2018 Colorado Duramax next. I didn't take any pics of install of this, there are tons of vids and pics on google of the process.

more to come...

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So next up came tires/wheels/lift, etc. The car came with 18" wheels from factory. I'm not a fan of 18" wheels for any reason and the factory tires suck in snow which we have a fair amount of here during winter. I wanted a good all around tire to handle year round duties so we didn't need to swap winter tires on every year, have 2 sets to deal with, etc. I got new TPMS sensors off Amazon and decided to move into a more favorable 15" wheel size to get more sidewall on the tire. My wife picked the wheels she wanted and after seeing them, immediately said I want those. She decided on the Black Rhino Boxers. I went with the 215/75/15 BFG AT KO2s as I've had great luck with them in the past. I had them mounted up at Discount then immediately went across the street to Les Schwabs to have them siped. Siping tires makes a HUGE difference in both traction and overall tire life so it was critical to have that done before mounting to the car. Here's after they were done:

So after doing a lot of searching, I decided on LP Aventure for the lift. They were the most complete kit I'd seen anywhere and had all the brackets to relocate all the brake lines, parking brake cables, sway bar extensions, subframe spacers, etc. Everything needed for proper install on the car. Very complete kit, high quality parts. Install was super easy.

I've always felt Subaru's are "under sprung" from factory and hate the body roll and squatting of the cars off the lot. Our old Outback was horribly under sprung and I was disappointed in the new 2019 Crosstrek also, feeling it too despite being "new" was still too light in the springs. I called up Rallitek and discussed the build of the car, long term plans and goals and discussed which set of springs would suit our needs best. We decided on the OE height factory replacements to work with the OE shocks/struts. These are a bit stiffer than factory to eliminate the body roll and help handle loads better. I quickly got to work installing Rallitek springs and the LP Aventure lift, with help of my 10 year old baby girl as well. No real pics of the install work as I always forget when I'm working to take pictures. Here's the parts ready to go:

Rallitek spring on front strut:

And rear:

And after install here's a few shots of the car with the new Black Rhino Boxers with BFG AT KO2's, LP Aventure lift and Rallitek springs:

The car drives and handles MUCH better with the Rallitek springs. No longer wishy washy and wallowing through corners, it's stable and solid, much improved feel. Super happy with Rallitek springs. LP Aventure lift was super easy install, very well thought out. Overall very happy with the new parts on the car.

more to come...

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next up was starting to add some lighting and also a a few pics of getting out up in the hills. I went with Baja Designs for all the lighting on the car. These guys are experts at what they do and build Awesome quality lights built to last and out perform the rest. I went with Squadron Pros on the windshield for ditch lights, and also have amber lenses to swap on later once it's closer to snow fall. I didn't get any pics of install again but here's a shot up in the hills. I am quite impressed with the off-road capability of the Crosstrek. This particular spot our Outback was never able to get to as it's a very steep, rough road with lots of rocks and rough terrain. The Outback was too low to the ground and would get high centered/stuck. In the steep sections, even with all wheel drive the Outback did not have the power even in 1st gear to crawl up the steep stuff before it even really got nasty. The X-Mode in the Crosstrek was pretty sweet- we made it up here with no trouble at all. I'm impressed with this little car!

more to come...

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So this car will need to run a few different lights, a fridge, a winch, etc. This meant a bunch of switches will be added. The Crosstrek is a great little car but interior leaves a bit of an issue with adding aftermarket switches as locations to mount switches cleanly are slim, and especially not for as many as I'll need to add. I also don't like taxing the factory electrical system and with as smart as these new cars are with as many creature comforts as they have, electrical can be a real nightmare. I needed a stand alone switch system to work in the car. I went with the Spod Bantam with touch screen to handle this task. The Spod is a stand alone electrical system that has all your relays, switches, etc. all built in. It has battery monitor, temp sensor, low voltage cut out all built in as well and is fully linkable if you need multiple systems for bigger chores. Once the Bantam box is mounted under the hood, you run 1 single ethernet cable through the fire wall to your touch panel. I decided on this location for the switch panel itself:

And here's the Bantam under the hood where all the magic happens. There is a positive and negative direct to battery and an ethernet cable going through firewall to touch panel. That's it. Everything is built into the Bantam box for all your relays, etc. Your factory electrical system is totally untouched.

The unit has 8 switches built in, fully selectable and fully programmable to handle whatever you may need. dimming function, strobe, combined and cut outs- whatever you want to do the Spod can handle it.

more to come...

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So again I forgot to take pics of the Baja Designs SAE amber fog light install. They've been on the car and wired up off Spod for a while now. I have had a Warn Axon 55-S winch sitting here for the car for couple months now. I had plans to run a winch mount but it turns out nobody makes one- or nobody did- for the new 2018+ global platform. Rumor is they were waiting for release of the new 2020 Outbacks to hit streets to develop products for those then move on to the Crosstrek platform. I was trying to find time to build my own winch mount but life happens and we're always busy. Winch has been sitting here for couple months now and I've not had any time at all to tear the car apart to build a mount. Me doing so would also mean with my work schedule the wife's daily driver would be in pieces for a few weeks at best for me to get something tabbed, painted, installed, etc. and back together. Thankfully Warn just announced release of their new semi-hidden winch mount for the 2018/2019 Crosstrek. I pic was released last Thursday prior to SEMA which was shared that I caught wind of. I immediately emailed a friend at Warn and was told they were unveiling the new hidden winch mount at SEMA on display. Turns out they teamed with Rallitek to design and build the mount for the Crosstrek. Mine arrived Wednesday. I covered the main install points in the off-road section in a Warn hidden mount specific thread so I don't go into details here but will share the same pics again for this build. Install is pretty simple just take your time with cutting/trimming the factory fascia. Overall this mount is perfect, Warn nailed it!

And here it is on the car. You can also see the Baja Designs SAE amber fog lights and I swapped to amber lenses on the Baja Designs Squadron Pro's on the windshield.

I'm hoping to get the optional upper bar mounted today as well as the final front lighting from Baja Designs once the bar is on. I'm running low on electrical supplies and not sure I have enough to get everything wire just yet so we'll see what the day brings. Will update again once install is done...

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Hey Mike,

When you Dynamat your truck, just a money saving tip. You don’t need 100% coverage, or even close to it.

(I’m a rep for Dynamat)

A few squares on the outer skin will drop road noise drastically. Higher coverage on the inner skins (where the door panel mounts) will give you that deeper “thud” when closing the door.

The pre-cut kits sold for various models don’t provide 100% coverage. Not to be cheap, but because it isn’t needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Mike,

When you Dynamat your truck, just a money saving tip. You don’t need 100% coverage, or even close to it.

(I’m a rep for Dynamat)

A few squares on the outer skin will drop road noise drastically. Higher coverage on the inner skins (where the door panel mounts) will give you that deeper “thud” when closing the door.

The pre-cut kits sold for various models don’t provide 100% coverage. Not to be cheap, but because it isn’t needed.

Thanks guys!

And thanks for tip here- I had picked up a bulk pack or something on amazon and have 6 sheets left out of the last pack I got. I'll see how far I can get that in the truck then. Was going to start on back section/back of cab first and back doors then move to front with whatever is left. I'll see how far I can get with your advice then order more if necessary. I probably won't do the roof the in the truck as I have no idea how to get the headliner out of that one. Thinking they must have done it without the windshield in maybe...

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well with church and other house work that needed done I didn't get as much time on the car as I'd hoped. I am also out of the wiring supplies needed so nothing got wired yet. I did get the optional bar mounted though and the Baja Designs LP6's mounted. Wife decided she liked the look better with the LP6's under the bar not on top so that's where they went. Overall think it looks pretty sharp. Can't wait to get them wired properly- these have an amber back light, low and high beams with a big pattern, excited to see how they work. Hopefully these will help avoid collisions with all the deer around here.

Couldn't resist heading up the hill a bit. 2 big bucks and several doe just off the side of the road in the fields thankfully no threat to the road yet but I need to wire these things soon as it's a real threat come dark. We have a bunch of coyotes as well and have also had a couple cougar right here recently. Good lights will be be help at night. Couldn't resist getting a few pics as sun was going down.

more to come...

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Dynamat should also improve the car's insulation too, no? Keep the car warmer in colder weather?
Thanks guys! In theory Yes, it should. The dynaliner used on roof is 1/2" thick foam then the dynamat extreme is foil backed which should radiate/reflect heat back inside. Should also help keep cooler in summer. I'm not sure I have any way to tell or measure how much though to know or prove that it does either way. For as much difference as it made quieting the car down though it is definitely worth doing and any temperature difference after would be just added benefit.

Best of luck,

Mike

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
1,821 Posts
Looking at the side profile, I still can't tell if there is an actual improvement in approach angle or not. Is the new bumper actually higher than the old? And is the lowest clearance point more rearward now?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Fantastic build! Just curious, does the Dynamat add much weight to the car?

Keep up the great work!

saint
Not sure exactly how much he put in, but Dynamat IS inherently on the heavy side. But they do make Dynamat Lite. I actually just got a sample pack yesterday, hoping to install it this weekend to see how it compares to the OG stuff.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fantastic build! Just curious, does the Dynamat add much weight to the car?

Keep up the great work!

saint 😇
Thanks! I forget exactly but want to say the entire box of the extreme bulk pack I got on Amazon was right around 40 pounds total. I used the whole pack in the car with all the inner/outside of doors, roof, cargo area, etc. The dynaliner that went on the roof over the extreme is 1/2" thick and it was super light weight. I was actually very surprised how light that stuff is.

RallyeBourne- you mentioned elsewhere something about the floor - I did not do the floor in the Crosstrek here as it had underbody spray on the car and is double wall floor area, then has a thick insulation on the firewall and under the carpet itself- I did not want to pull all that up and was not going to mess with that section in my truck either. Would you recommend doing so anyway? With everything else done in the Crosstrek, do you think it would make a noticeable difference to do the floor also? I will be doing my pick up next once I have the Crosstrek finished. My baby girl complains the back seat of the truck is loud and she can't hear very well so I was planning on doing rear of the cab and doors for sure. Do you think the floor would help? I think it will be easier to tear the floor out of the truck than the Crosstrek. Just curious if you think it's worth it I'll attempt it, if not, no worries and Thanks for the tips!

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
864 Posts
You wouldn't happen to have taken pics of the side rails you took off, did you? I want to see what the underside of them look like.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You wouldn't happen to have taken pics of the side rails you took off, did you? I want to see what the underside of them look like.
I did not- but I'm hoping to do some wiring on the car this weekend to finish a few things up. The rails are on the rack next to where the car is parked so I'll try and remember to get a pic for you this weekend.

Best of Luck,

Mike

1 - 20 of 28 Posts