Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
834 Posts
Consider how the new consumer feels: they have been waiting for their new car for weeks, then they are told that it needs a new steering rack.

It was good that Subaru did this but I am appalled at how @Digitalis has been treated here...
And how has he (or she) been mistreated? I wasn't mistreated when I had to drive 45 minutes to a dealership to have my airbag replaced. Takata made a bum part, Subaru replaced it. I was advised not to drive it until replacement, and when I said I needed a vehicle they provided one.
Digitalis is in the same boat - just pre-delivery. Some steering component was made defective. The only difference is whether or not he should receive a loaner. I say it's up to him to ask.
If I've missed something, other than how he could feel slighted in this deal, I apologize I have missed it. Yes, it sucks. Waiting always sucks, we learned that in December as children. It doubly sucks for something you have money in, but a deposit is just a deposit. Digitalis is probably entitled to that back btw, as they missed their delivery date.

A few months ago I bought a heavy duty set of garage shelving. After partial assembly I realized some small parts were bent in the wrong spot and one had flashing. Ok, I emailed the manufacturer, who responded promptly and sent out new parts. I had to wait a week. I lived. I did not pack things up and return them for a different company's shelving, as the I researched the ones I wanted originally and got a good deal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Everything is fine guys, nobody mistreated anyone, aside from some (expected) minor trolling, everyone provided their opinions (as crosstrek owners), so some fan-boyish comments are to be expected. If this were a Wrangler forum, everyone would be trashing Subaru and highlighting their brand of choice.

I get everyone's point in the sense that **** happens and sometimes is not ideal. I can deal with that. But as I mentioned before my concern now is the long term reliability of any of the cars that were constructed during that week that prompted Subaru to stop manufacturing.

As consumers, we don't have the full scope of things so I'm sure there were more issues behind that call. Issues that in turn could directly impact the reliability and number of potential recalls that those cars will be subject to.

So to me, the "logical" thing to do on Subaru's part will be to reassure the customers that are buying any car manufactured during that period that everything is fine. They could easily do that by extending their warranties for peace of mind. If they don't trust those cars enough to do that, why should we?

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
834 Posts
Again, they stopped production not because of a barn fire, but because a component that didn't meet spec was identified on a limited run of that component. They could easily have continued production and performed a recall later - they did not. Subaru has always been a stand up company. Call it fanboying if you wish, but there are countless examples of this out there, and some I know of personally where SOA personally went above and beyond for individual owners.
If it helps, remember that your steering is electric assist, not hydraulic. Far less complicated to replace parts.
If you bought a 30 year roof, and had a few bad shingles, would you expect a 60 year warranty to make things right? Steering racks simply don't fail in 100k miles, unless there's a defect. One was found and fixed. This is literally a non-issue except it doesn't give you the feel goods. So if it's going to bug you, ask for more or walk away. You won't hurt anybody's feelings.
Speaking of Jeep - they forgot to weld frames recently. The frames, let that sink in.
Hyundai? They catch fire while Hyundai pretends they don't.
Subaru? A couple years had a CVT solenoid that had a very slightly high failure rate after the powertrain warranty, they extended that warranty to 100k miles for models multiple years after the redesign. They had what, 2 or 3 valve springs break, so they redesigned them and issued a recall to replace everybody's built before the redesign. That was not a financial decision, that was a stand up decision by a company that treats its customers right. Far cheaper to fix anything that happens under warranty if it can even be proven to be Subaru's fault.
So, we can welcome you to the family, or say thanks for trying. It's your choice, and it's a personal one. If you base it on facts and statistics alone, you will simply wait for your new car.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
This thread is really wordy and has given me a headache. But I don't think I learned anything aside from getting an insight into some personalities....

If any of you are ever in Tulsa, be sure and try our own craft nectar of the gods: Marshalls Atlas IPA (ABV 6.5% and unfiltered).
:eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,364 Posts
And how has he (or she) been mistreated? I wasn't mistreated when I had to drive 45 minutes to a dealership to have my airbag replaced. Takata made a bum part, Subaru replaced it. I was advised not to drive it until replacement, and when I said I needed a vehicle they provided one.
Digitalis is in the same boat - just pre-delivery. Some steering component was made defective. The only difference is whether or not he should receive a loaner. I say it's up to him to ask.
If I've missed something, other than how he could feel slighted in this deal, I apologize I have missed it. Yes, it sucks. Waiting always sucks, we learned that in December as children. It doubly sucks for something you have money in, but a deposit is just a deposit. Digitalis is probably entitled to that back btw, as they missed their delivery date.

A few months ago I bought a heavy duty set of garage shelving. After partial assembly I realized some small parts were bent in the wrong spot and one had flashing. Ok, I emailed the manufacturer, who responded promptly and sent out new parts. I had to wait a week. I lived. I did not pack things up and return them for a different company's shelving, as the I researched the ones I wanted originally and got a good deal.
I meant in this thread...

Yeah, the Takata thing was a pain (our Honda had to go in twice) but I'd rather they take care of things than what Ford did with the Pinto... :icon_rolleyes:

Oh, and The Knack, I hope you brought some of that British beer! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I worked in the auto dealership industry for over 15 years in sales, service and parts. I had direct experience with Chevrolet, VW, Audi, BMW, Ford, Mazda, and Toyota in those years and was privy to all of the issues both in front of and behind the scenes in all areas of the dealership and manufacturer. I have seen both the good and the bad.

My wife and I have just purchased a 2019 Crosstrek Limited which is our third Subaru.

This is the first car manufacturer that has proven itself over and over again. Any issue that I had with my vehicles has been addressed in both a proper and respectful manner. Both at the dealer and manufacturer level. Even in situations where I was absolutely sure I was going to be met with resistance based on my experience working in dealerships, SOA has come through every time in a prompt and fair manner. They are NOT the typical car manufacturer. They DO care about their customers and want to ensure that you are theirs for life. They stand behind their product and have satisfied me even when they were under no obligation to do so. They could have said no and been technically correct in their handling of the situation. But they didn't.

If you want to purchase a vehicle from a company that has respect for its customer base, high standards for professional conduct, and make a great vehicle for the money.......this is the one. You won't find any better.

I say this with no reservation at all. I happily purchased the new Crosstrek knowing I was getting the best value for my dollar, both during and after the sales transaction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Back at the end of November, I decided to get a brand new 2019 Crosstrek Premium to replace my aging 2007 Outback. Since then, the whole experience has been downhill (mainly due to the lack of updates on the dealer's part). Since I wanted a Manual transmission and they did not have any in the whole state (so they said) I agreed to place an order. Since it is coming from Japan they said it could take between 6 to 8 weeks, so I placed my $1000 deposit and decided to wait.

It is now Feb 21st and I just found out the car might not be here until sometime in March. I understand they had some manufacturing issues a few weeks ago so I gave them the benefit of the doubt and since I waited this long I did not mind waiting a bit longer.

The thing that got me now is the latest communication from my dealership implies that after the car arrives, they will still have to wait for a part from Japan (EPS racks and hardware kits to complete WUC-88) if I'm not mistaken this seems like a full replacement of the steering column? to be installed at the dealership???? What gives? I thought I was buying a brand new car and now it seems I may get a refurbish one?? If they are now sending parts to be replaced at the dealer prior the sale it seems they are trying to avoid the bad press of what an official recall would do to their "reliability" ratings.

To me this whole thing is making me question my decision to purchase the car as I feel It won't have the Japanese precision and attention to detail I was looking for, and that the longevity might be dependent on the dealership's skill and the mood of the guy doing the job....far from what I had in mind...

I feel sick to my stomach to the point that I'm thinking in canceling the order and even lose the (convenient) non-refundable $1000 deposit.

What do you guys think? should I just call it? how normal are this "at the dealership" heart surgeries? whats next, a whole motor or transmisison to be replaced prior the sale? :(
I totally understand where your coming from. I ordered one and I want to get it with as few miles and as little idling time as possible so I can break the engine in the way I want too before the cylinders glaze. At the risk of seeming overly anal, I told the dealer as much and asked them not to show or test drive the car beyond the minimum service that they are required to do. This is trivial to some but not trivial to others including me. I worked hard to make the money to buy the car and I want the best possible outcome.

Dealer repairs are never the same quality as factory installation. Even factory repairs are not as good as factory installation. At the factory these repairs are "out of process" and that rework introduces potential quality issues. At the dealer, not only are they "out of process" there is no process other than the instructions that Subaru sends. All that said, I suspect this rework will be completed with no issues other than a little extra idle time, testing (including a drive), and an additional day or two of delay prior to delivery.

I believe you have a good case to get your deposit back should you choose to back out. Every dealer I checked with (~5) told me the deposit was fully refundable should I decide to not purchase the car. Apparently it is meant more to hold the car in your name??

Ultimately you will have to make your choice but I understand your frustration. Personally I would probably keep the car but negotiate some extra's from the dealer (floor liners, free oil change, etc...). Also, if you haven't called SOA and asked already, you should be able to get the $500 owner loyalty rebate. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Dealer repairs are never the same quality as factory installation. Even factory repairs are not as good as factory installation. At the factory these repairs are "out of process" and that rework introduces potential quality issues. At the dealer, not only are they "out of process" there is no process other than the instructions that Subaru sends. ...
Thanks for looking at things from my perspective, I knew someone else would understand my hesitation/worry. Something that should not be present when buying a new car.

For those who did not read prior posts, I've been a Subaru owner for over 12 years and I can't complain, yet I've also seen how the quality of their products is not the same (like many other Japanese cars), especially the paint, however, I still see them as the BEST value out there, hence why I wanted to give them another try. But as Murphy's law would have it, they manufactured mine in the worst possible time and might be more prone to defects/recalls than others prior/after their closedown, time will tell.

I still hope Subaru can do something for me so I can finalize the purchase if not, I will have to look somewhere else.

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
So to me, the "logical" thing to do on Subaru's part will be to reassure the customers that are buying any car manufactured during that period that everything is fine. They could easily do that by extending their warranties for peace of mind. If they don't trust those cars enough to do that, why should we?
There are actually two sides to that point and I do appreciate you taking the 'positive' point of view. What do I mean?

Subaru has been slowly extending the warranties of the CVT equipped models to 10 years/100,000 miles due to some undisclosed issue. Some have viewed that extension as a good thing (like yourself) that Subaru has faith in the product as they extended the warranty while others have taken the other side stating because they extended the warranty, something must be wrong with the system and won't trust the product a day after the warranty expired - ie they may have been more comfortable if Subaru buried their corporate heads in the sand and ignored the situation rather than going that extra step and sending out letters to notify customers of the extended warranty.

At the end of the day, I believe to many Subaru owners, Subaru has shown that they do trust their products and have extended warranties out to show that trust.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,364 Posts
You mean rather than lite beer? The way I look at it, if you didn't bring the beer, you can't object to the choice. :)
I can, and do, even though I may not, or should not... :D

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
1,864 Posts
This thread is really wordy and has given me a headache. But I don't think I learned anything aside from getting an insight into some personalities....
Isn't that the truth!! I sure have seen all types on this forum.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My main issue now seems to be around the fact that the car is one of the ones that prompted Subaru to close down their factories for an unprecedented amount of time. So I don't think I would feel safe in it due to any of the potentially undisclosed issues that might be hiding behind those cars. I wanted to buy a new car to be worry free not to be sent a ton of potential recalls down the line just for being manufactured during the wrong week.

If it was only an issue with the steering column, I don't see how they are still having their dealerships do the replacement after they closed down the factory for two weeks, there is got to be something else they are not telling us and that is my concern...

My hope now is to get some sort of additional reassurance from Subaru or warranty extensions due to this, if not I will probably cancel the order and find something else. As much as I like the car, I'm not willing to risk my family's safety for it nor I feel like waiting another 4 months for a new one.
It is only an issue with the steering column. You are the only one thinking that there is more to it...Why??? Subaru probably closed the plant down that long so they could thoroughly investigate and pinpoint the problem to make the proper redesign. It doesn't mean that there were numerous problems. They would look really bad if they would have another recall within a short period... they just wanted to get it right!

As for the mechanics at the dealer, they will receive the proper training and gain lots of experience. Yours won't be the only one getting that job done! A steering column replacement is a pretty simple job, especially after you do it a few times. If it's only the steering column, it shouldn't even involve any hose connections for fluids...just nuts and bolts and electrical connectors.

If you're worried about your families safety you should really consider cancelling this order and purchase a Crosstrek with EyeSight. I realize that you can't get EyeSight with a manual transmission, but the EyeSight feature is very impressive and well worth the extra cost. It saved me more than once already in just a few months!

I can't imagine that the dealer wouldn't honor your deposit on a different vehicle, especially when it'll cost more. That means more money in their pocket (But less in yours, but like I said before it is well worth it). Besides, if you reorder you won't be getting one of those with the steering column issue.

I was "on the fence" about the CVT when I ordered mine, but I finally leaned toward the safe side. I have never owned anything other than manual transmission vehicles(mostly Subaru's)...and that goes back for decades. After driving the CVT with the EyeSight for a few months now, I have absolutely no complaints about my purchase. I love this Crosstrek! If I would have to do it all over, the only thing I would change is not to order the factory floormats...they really suck.

I hope you come to a decision soon...whatever it is I hope you won't regret it in the future! Best Wishes.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
019, Excellent point made about "safety." If worried about family safety, EyeSight IS definitely the way to go. You can't say that you are worried about safety and ignore the safest feature of all, multiple safety features even. My wife will swear to that when EyeSight saved her in week one from an unavoidable accident, totally prevented it. And as far as the work being done, I doubt they'd bring in a bunch of high school kids and tell them "Here's your tools, go figure out how to do this." Whether done in factory, or as the car is being made, or at the dealer, Subaru stands behind their products. And manufacturing being shut down to investigate and not go further is a better indication of a company that values its customers than American companies who will keep pushing them out and ignore a potential safety problem. Subaru proves itself day in and day out as high quality and customer oriented.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Thanks again all for your insights, as far as all this new "safety" features like the Eyesight system that is something I never cared for, it could be the best thing in the world, but I still trust my judgment and driving experience over any computer. That is the main reason I chose the Crosstrek.

Call me old fashion but I ONLY drive Manual cars. I hate automatic transmissions with a passion, they feel like soul-less cars, replaced by computers. I like to drive cars, I don't like cars to drive me.

For me the driving experience is about controlling the car at every moment and not the other way around. (Besides, with manual transmissions now going the way of the dinosaur, they are becoming a great theft deterrent too ;)

My aging Outback is one of the last ones that they made with manual transmission and I'm sad I could not get another Outback due to that :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
You are the only one thinking that there is more to it...Why???
Sadly is quite the oposite Why? Because I like to read, and get informed before I buy a new car. Even Subaru acknowledged that and mentioned they have many quality control issues in one of their latest reports:

"...The Subaru report claimed that training for new workers at Fukai Toyotetsu was "severely lacking" with "most put on line with little to no training, creating quality and turnover issues." Stamping has little oversight from quality assurance teams, it said.

The report also cited concern that the supplier's stamped parts, such as radiator panels, suffered from splitting, a defect caused when metal is pressed too thin. The report concluded that the start of Outback production, expected as early as August, "is in serious jeopardy!"

The report said Fukai Toyotetsu was trying to stem the rapid employee turnover by turning to employment agencies, holding job fairs, taking out more newspaper ads and re-evaluating pay.

At Subaru of America, Doll said that those manufacturing issues are handled by Subaru's U.S. manufacturing unit, Subaru of Indiana Automotive Inc.

Doll said Subaru's Japanese parent company has been addressing quality problems. He noted that it appointed a quality czar, Atsushi Osaki, in Japan last year to lead Subaru through its problems...."

They also seem to have lied when they said that no car with the defect reached the US because mine did and it was flagged for a dealer repair due to that. Not the ideal way to "handle that" IMO

"...Subaru said none of the affected vehicles had reached dealers or customers outside Japan. As many as 10,000 were destined for the U.S. The company said it hasn’t decided how to deal with vehicles made with the defect...."

Another example here:

“We continue to be concerned that [Subaru] is not making the necessary investments and changes fast enough to ensure that vehicles are being produced with the quality the brand and its customers deserve,” Subaru’s U.S. National Retail Advisory Board wrote

All you have to do is search google, so you seem to be the only one thinking there nothing more to it. These are serious issues, and the reason I feel any of the owners for those 10000 cars that were affected, need to be reassured and have their warranties extended.

41 - 60 of 139 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.