Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! I just bought my first Subaru in September 2018. It’s a brand new 2019 Crosstrek. Shortly after purchase I noticed a grinding noise when making sharp left and sharp right turns. Stupid me, ignored it thinking I was being paranoid because this is the first brand new car I bought for myself. It also wouldn’t make the noise with every sharp turn. So I kept thinking ok maybe it’s nothing. The noise wasn’t consistent but it also never stopped. Well, at my 18,000 mile maintenance I decided I needed to have this noise looked at finally. It was also a year into having this car. Subaru couldn’t find a problem. 2 mechanics test drove my car and they came back and said no noise. I didn’t believe them so I even went out with one of the mechanics. And they were right. No noise... of course! I did have video of the noise but they said they have to hear it in person for themselves. Well my car is still making this grinding noise at sharp turns. I’m going to take it back but was wondering if anyone had any idea what it could be? Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Hello and welcome!

My first guesses are a torn boot got dirt in a cv joint or a slightly bent control arm. I’d say go under and have a look but that would have been part of the service.

My second guess is a bad bearing but that should be easily replicable.

Third guess is that the lug bolts weren’t tight so when you turned sharp, you’d hear the it shifting.

Fourth, misrouted brake line.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My 18 has done this since new. For me it's slower and sharper than normal turns. I've always been curious as to what it could be, cause it definitely doesn't sound normal, but figured since it did it from the beginning it most likely wasn't a worn part issue. Unless you strap a gopro under there while turning, I don't know how to pinpoint the issue. It sounds like tire rubbing the plastic fender though, so I suppose any signs of rubbing are a good start.

I will record the sound I have later today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and welcome!

My first guesses are a torn boot got dirt in a cv joint or a slightly bent control arm. I’d say go under and have a look but that would have been part of the service.

My second guess is a bad bearing but that should be easily replicable.

Third guess is that the lug bolts weren’t tight so when you turned sharp, you’d hear the it shifting.

Fourth, misrouted brake line.
Wow! That’s a lot of information! Thank you for your reply! It’s just weird that it’s a brand new car and from the get go it’s made this noise. My regret is not taking it in as soon as I heard the noise. I bet they would have jumped all over trying to fix it since it was happening pretty much the next day. Hopefully when I take it back, my car makes the grinding noise. Thanks again for the information!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 18 has done this since new. For me it's slower and sharper than normal turns. I've always been curious as to what it could be, cause it definitely doesn't sound normal, but figured since it did it from the beginning it most likely wasn't a worn part issue. Unless you strap a gopro under there while turning, I don't know how to pinpoint the issue. It sounds like tire rubbing the plastic fender though, so I suppose any signs of rubbing are a good start.

I will record the sound I have later today.
Yeah same here! If I just turn left or right, no noise. But if it’s a sharp left or sharp right like out of a parking lot, you hear grinding. I’m sorry you’re having the same issue but it’s nice to know I’m not just hearing things lol thank you for your reply!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I'd like to do this myself but I'm actually pretty busy at work today.

Take a read through the the 18' XV NHTSA site and look for any communications or complains that match the symptom. That'll get you started, I hope.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium
5 Posts
I think I've run into the same on my old 2014.
It only happened on a few occasions when I had to fully turn the wheel in one direction or another while pulling out of a lot or stop sign from a full stop and letting up a little would make the noise stop.
I always assumed it was the fully turned wheel rubbing up against something in the wheel well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
On my 2013, I regularly have a grinding noise from the lip of the brake dust shield rubbing against my rotor as the dust shield slowly rusts away (more so in the rear than the front of the car). It slowly becomes more noticeable over time, to the point that I ended up grinding off the lip and repainting the darn things to slow the rust. Next time I replace the wheel bearings, I'll probably elect to replace the shields and paint them with bed liner to stop the rust this time around. If it's your wheel bearings, you'll likely hear a "whirring" noise at certain speeds and possibly also feel a vibration in your steering wheel (I am familiar as I have replaced the rear bearings twice already at ~150k miles). Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think I've run into the same on my old 2014.
It only happened on a few occasions when I had to fully turn the wheel in one direction or another while pulling out of a lot or stop sign from a full stop and letting up a little would make the noise stop.
I always assumed it was the fully turned wheel rubbing up against something in the wheel well.
My 2013 was doing this and it ended up being lower ball joints. Took the dealership a few days of driving to replicate the noise and diagnose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts