Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings fellow crosstrekers,

just did a cvt oil change on a 2019 Subaru crosstrek at 40k miles. Wanted to show comparison between the new cvt oil and 40k cvt oil

left is new and right is old

truthfully, I believe it is best to change oil out every 30k after looking at the old oil

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks for posting. How much fluid did you use for the fluid change? How did you set the level(IE digital laser thermostat or through ecu software)? Did you use the factory fluid? I plan on doing our MY18, but it's only at 13k.
regards

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was a total of 4 quarts that came out and added 4 quarts. Which according to mr Subaru ( which he has a really good video on it ) his came out with about 5. It could be 4-5 from that observation. I used this app called “ ActiveOBD” on iOS which works well with the Veepeak OBDCheck BLE OBD2 on the Amazon. I don’t know how accurate that is but I’d prolly recommend also using an infrared thermometer as well with it. I could have configured it with OBD fusion but I was too lazy to do that tbh

stayed with the Subaru cvt fluid. It’s a bit pricey but I think it’s best to just use their oil. The temps have actually stayed cooler than I was measuring before the oil change and I’m looking it’s getting slightly better gas mileage as well

here’s also another source for added input

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks. I've used an infrared thermometer(titan #55010) on our BMW and Porsche, very handy. Agreed, staying with the factory fluid is a good idea. The trick for me will be getting it to the right temp to set the proper level(car will be on a lift). Looking at that fluid, I'll probably replace ours before 30k(IE lots of short trips). Thanks again for posting.
regards

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I've used an infrared thermometer(titan #55010) on our BMW and Porsche, very handy. Agreed, staying with the factory fluid is a good idea. The trick for me will be getting it to the right temp to set the proper level(car will be on a lift). Looking at that fluid, I'll probably replace ours before 30k(IE lots of short trips). Thanks again for posting.
regards
happy to be of assistance!

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
583 Posts
This looks great! I can’t imagine what it looks like with 100,000km (62,000 miles.)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm curious if the color of the oil is normal and does not indicate the need for changing at that mileage? Even though it looks dirty, does it still have the proper lubrication characteristics? Do you plan to have the oil tested at Blackstone Labs?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,754 Posts
I'm curious if the color of the oil is normal and does not indicate the need for changing at that mileage? Even though it looks dirty, does it still have the proper lubrication characteristics? Do you plan to have the oil tested at Blackstone Labs?
Yeah, I'm curious why it's not recommended to change the fluid for 132K miles?

Does the OP know how quickly it gets darker?

SO MANY threads about this here... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would be a good idea, I’ll send it off to black stone labs next oil change. Proper lubrication at 40k miles, absolutely. Is it the peak proper lubrication compared to new? Doubt that’ll be true to be honest

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yeah, I'm curious why it's not recommended to change the fluid for 132K miles?

Does the OP know how quickly it gets darker?

SO MANY threads about this here... :rolleyes:
Where does it state that you have to change it at 132k miles?

·
Registered
2019 Limited with Eyesight
398 Posts
Good to see the difference in colour. I just added an X Gauge in my ScanGauge II for CVT temperature. Will be interesting to see what *F it runs at this summer. Right now with ambients running about 32*F it shows about 124*F with the engine oil up to normal operating temperature.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Good to see the difference in colour. I just added an X Gauge in my ScanGauge II for CVT temperature. Will be interesting to see what *F it runs at this summer. Right now with ambients running about 32*F it shows about 124*F with the engine oil up to normal operating temperature.
What was the temp in the summertime? Does it correlate to the engine oil temp?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just out of curiosity, does it auto detect temperature or did you have to set it up? And if you did have to set it up, do you have the formula by any chance?

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
499 Posts
Curious, how does the CVT temp compare to the Oil Temp reading located in the Multi Function Display above the radio HU?

·
Registered
2019 Limited with Eyesight
398 Posts
Just out of curiosity, does it auto detect temperature or did you have to set it up? And if you did have to set it up, do you have the formula by any chance?
Had to set it up myself. Can't remember the TXD,RXD,MTH, codes but I have them written down in the glove box. For the NAM code called it CVT to keep it simple. I'll get the codes and post them here when I get the chance today if you'd like. I'll let you know the comparison between CVT temp and oil temp also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had to set it up myself. Can't remember the TXD,RXD,MTH, codes but I have them written down in the glove box. For the NAM code called it CVT to keep it simple. I'll get the codes and post them here when I get the chance today if you'd like. I'll let you know the comparison between CVT temp and oil temp also.
That would be great! Please

·
Registered
387 Posts
for my Scangauge, this CVT code appears to work.

TXD: 07E0221017
RXF: C46205103617
RXD: 3008
MTH: 00090005FFC6
for the name, I just used the "degrees F" symbol and "CV"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts