Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
It’s the CVT my sound goes away in the spring. If you want complete silence get a Tesla. Mechanical things make noise. Drive the car and relax. Life’s too short to worry about inconsequential things like this. I’ll post a video soon. It’s 22 here today and mines chittering happily away :)

Here are some videos from today Turn up your volume.
Its 22 outside. Post back when its 80 and sunny if you're still hearing it. My guess is you won't.

Chittering Sound

More Chittering sounds

·
Registered
80 Posts
The engine is noisey ... which is fine... i love me CT... but this sound stands out from the pack... which is what makes it annoying. My 1999 Corolla was more quiet until i had to put it out to pasture!

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,809 Posts
AK:
Are you referring to the 'standard' head unit or the upgraded HK hu?
Or do both/all units have a cooling fan?
-steve
I'm not 100% certain but from what @Doca has posted in other threads, I believe the basic electronics are pretty much identical in the different trim levels, which presumably would include the fan.

Also, see this thread. The WRX HU appears to be the new Harman unit and has what looks like a fan on the back: Model Year 2012 to 2017 - 2019 WRX Base head unit retrofit for 2017 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I'm not 100% certain but from what @Doca has posted in other threads, I believe the basic electronics are pretty much identical in the different trim levels, which presumably would include the fan.

Also, see this thread. The WRX HU appears to be the new Harman unit and has what looks like a fan on the back: Model Year 2012 to 2017 - 2019 WRX Base head unit retrofit for 2017 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium
I know not all head units have a cooling fan but the Harman units do.

It triggers under unknown condition and creates a buzzing sound that is hard to hear unless in a quiet environment.

The new WRX units seem to be the same one in the Outback but I'll know once I get the part #'s from the other fella trying to install a 19' WRX head unit into a 17' XV.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Well, I got around to taking mine in again and left it overnight.
I also sent them many youtube links of the issue where you can CLEARLY hear the sound and see that it is significantly louder from the passenger side.

Of course they called me the next day and said "we cannot reproduce the issue"
So annoying and frustrating and truly a tough sound to just swallow and accept.
As Nevermore mentioned, this is not some noisy raaar type noise from the engine which is what makes it very annoying.
I couldn't be more bummed about Subaru and their lack of willingness to get to the bottom of the issue.
My car clearly has an issue (having brought it in numerous times now for this) and I've provided the video clips.
The fact that they just say they can't reproduce it and send me off is quite dismissive.
I get it that there might be some off chance they didn't hear it (although mine is consistent) but make an effort to want to figure it out, come up with a plan, have me bring it in again or leave it another night....but no, it was more "please sign here..have a nice day".

·
Has Butch tires
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
654 Posts
You can't hear it with hood up correct? Is the noise synchronized with engine or vehicle speed? You hear it clearly inside while driving. Have you turned HVAC fan motor off and on? Is it possibly related to HVAC system, fan or water in heater coil with a bit of air in it? A little squirt of belt conditioner on the accessory belts might at least eliminate them if you were hearing them with hood open.
Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
The sound is definitely tied to the speed.
I cannot hear it when I'm driving at all.
When I come to a full stop the sound kicks in.
While I'm stopped, if I give a touch of gas, the sound becomes higher pitched.
I've turned everything off and nothing makes a difference, unfortunately (heater, ac, radio, lights, etc).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Joined the site to say that my 18 CT Limited does the EXACT same thing and didn't start doing it until around 22k miles or last November. Dealer could hear the sound but unless you are in the car for an hour a day it doesn't drive you crazy. They said it almost sounds like feedback coming through the speakers and schedule me out for a month until they have a loaner because they want to keep it overnight...

The sound starts 1-2 minutes after I start the engine and keeps doing it for about 30 min until the engine completely warms up. Absolutely infuriating for a brand new car. My V8 4Runner ran quieter than this thing. Definitely considering selling it if there isn't a solution soon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
That's exactly how I've explained it to some people...that it sounds like a poorly wire amp and you can hear the engine noise through the speakers.
Definitely not the case but sounds like it. It's for sure much louder in the passenger footwell (this is pretty obvious from the youtube links I posted).
I escalated my issue to Subaru Support and they have been quite nice and lined up a rental for me so I can take my car back for a few days so we can hopefully get to the bottom of this.
Call me paranoid, but the 2 times I've left my car there overnight and they've claimed the issue was nor reproducible, my car didn't make that noise for a day or 2 after I got it back!?!!
Of course the sound came back, but very strange that they didn't reproduce it and it went away for a day or 2.

I couldn't agree more that this is beyond frustrating for a new car. I don't even have 22k miles on mine yet and mine started after several months of owning the car :-/

Anyways, I will be taking my car back next week and will keep this thread updated.

·
Has Butch tires
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
654 Posts
The sound is definitely tied to the speed.
I cannot hear it when I'm driving at all.
When I come to a full stop the sound kicks in.
While I'm stopped, if I give a touch of gas, the sound becomes higher pitched.
I've turned everything off and nothing makes a difference, unfortunately (heater, ac, radio, lights, etc).
The sound is directly related to engine speed, correct?

Could this be a problem with coil or plug wires? Something not being secured from em noise in the ignition system. Sounds a bit like what we use to experience in old days when we added capacitor discharge ignition to our cars. We used to install resistor spark plugs and change wires to reduce the snapping and clicking from the more powerful ignition system. The distributor, if not clean or having faint conductive paths (dirt, oil,etc.), can also cause noises. Of course all of this shouldn't be happening on a modern car so perhaps this information is useless. Subaru should make this right.

The shade tree mechanic wisdom on radio noise (can't say it was correct, only that I learned it that way) was:

"Ticking" noises from Low-tension side of ignitions system.
"Crackling" noises were from the high-tension part of ignition systems
"Whining" noises often from alternator and the whine changes pitch/volume with engine speed.
Any noises from other car systems, fan heater, AC, wipers, even direction indicators you test by pulling the fuse or making sure they are isolated and trying car as you isolate the noises.

Sorry if this isn't helpful on a new Subaru. Increasingly the simple methods of diagnostics we used on simpler cars are less and less relevant to our new machines.

With firm handshake,
Raleigh

·
Registered
23 Posts
Anyone with answers to this issue? I suspect my crosstrek has this sound as well. Would be great to hear from anyone with a solution.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts