Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,446 Posts
I haven't done any major work under the hood so I'm not sure but I can't think of anything that would make a chirping noise while the engine is running. The water pump is towards the bottom of the engine.

As you're still under warranty, hopefully the dealer will be able to find and fix it. If it only happens when the car is cold you may have to leave it overnight.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Last winter when I brought it in for the sound and they couldn't diagnose before the temps weren't getting cold at night anymore... so I made sure they put a note in there system that the problem wasn't fixed and that they would attempt to fix it again this winter under warranty still. I am going to leave it overnight like you said... but i bet we will have some crazy warm spike that night!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi Nevermore and others...
Just checking back in to see if anyone has had any luck?
Mine seems to be getting worse and the sound lasting longer and louder.
BTW, I live in San Diego where it really doesn't get cold, but I've been having this sound now for well over 6 months straight.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a scheduled visit on the 20th to do the three recalls and then address the chirping noise again. I swing back here after to let you know if they find anything. It's staying nice and cold over the days and nights... so I am hoping they catch something. To confirm,... the is the sound you are hearing...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi,

I appreciate the response.
Yes, that is definitely the sound I am hearing.

I just uploaded a couple of videos also for confirmation...let me know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
My 2018 makes the same sound, thought it was the blower motor at first but after turning off HVAC it still continues.
Im going to mention something next oil change, see what they say.

·
Registered
80 Posts
well it's a no go. They couldn't get the sound to start yesterday... so drove my loaner car to my CT this morning and drove around with the service manager for 15 mins… and off course the sound didn’t happen. He did say to just swing in any morning (I pass by them) when the sound is happening so they can catch it. He also extended the warranty on the issue for another year. And last… he did mention that there is an air pump below the AC pump where I said the sound was coming from. He was going to look into it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for the update! Bummer it didn't happen when you took it in.
I will hopefully make an appointment soon since mine is pretty much guaranteed to make the sound every time.
I will just need to leave my car there overnight.

Please let me know if you discover anything new.
I will be sure to post back also if I (finally) get my car in.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've heard a similar sound in my '18. When I turn the H/U volume down the sound mysteriously goes away! Go figure.

artosa

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've heard a similar sound in my '18. When I turn the H/U volume down the sound mysteriously goes away! Go figure.

artosa
If it's affected by adjusting volume on the HU, then it's coming thru the speakers and its a ground loop issue. This is usually fixed by locating a bad ground, although if the issue is prevalent, there may be a design flaw.

I may have the same chirping/whirring sound. I wasn't alarmed though since it sounds airy, like a pump or some rotating piece moving air. I'll investigate next time I hear it.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,446 Posts
If it's affected by adjusting volume on the HU, then it's coming thru the speakers and its a ground loop issue. This is usually fixed by locating a bad ground, although if the issue is prevalent, there may be a design flaw.

I may have the same chirping/whirring sound. I wasn't alarmed though since it sounds airy, like a pump or some rotating piece moving air. I'll investigate next time I hear it.
The HU has a cooling fan...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2019 Forester and its he same sound. It is from the CVT and is normal when the ambient temperature is colder, say less than 45 degrees or so. It is from the CVT fluid being thicker due to the colder temps as well as being under high pressure. Here is the link to the forester forum discussion.

Here is a link to common CVT characteristics:

"9. Hissing or Squealing Sound:"
You may hear hissing or squealing type sound for a few seconds after shifting into any gear, the noise is caused by the transmission fluid inside of the CVT and is a normal operating characteristic.
This noise is most noticeable when outside the vehicle alongside of the right or left front fender in colder temperatures. The CVT requires fluid pressures up to 1,200 psi to operate and it must pass through small passageways, which may result in a momentary hiss or squeal sound.
This noise does not affect transmission performance, function or reliability.

My forester has done it since new. Its what makes a Subaru a Subaru :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I hardly think this is a "normal" sound.
The description on that site says a "momentary hiss or squeal".
My sound lasts for up to 10 minutes and there is nothing momentary about it.
I also live in San Diego so hardly the coldest of climates.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Just for clarification regarding the sound we are talking about...here are 2 links of videos I've taken where the sound comes across very clearly.

It just seems rather baffling that quite a decent number of people seem to be experiencing this with no final definitive answer/root cause from Subaru.
I have an appointment in a couple of weeks and I will play the videos for them and see how things go.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I hear the same sound think. It appears to some fan under dash. Doesn't really bother me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a similar sound on my '18. Appears to be coming from the center console area.
Pitch changes and then seems to go away as I raise the RPMs. No change when shutting off A/C. No change when shutting off HU. No change when taking out of park, into drive.

Man...there sure are a lot of frustrating noises with this car!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just for clarification regarding the sound we are talking about...here are 2 links of videos I've taken where the sound comes across very clearly.

It just seems rather baffling that quite a decent number of people seem to be experiencing this with no final definitive answer/root cause from Subaru.
I have an appointment in a couple of weeks and I will play the videos for them and see how things go.
Can you confirm that sound is not coming from the speakers? Someone posted earlier it was affected by HU volume. If it was coming from speakers, this would remove the drivetrain as an issue.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The sound is not from the blower fan. It still sounds when the fan is off and I've had mine replaced when it was defective last year.
The sound is not coming from the speakers or the HUD.

It's 100% tied to temp... though mine doesn't start until running the cold car for 10-15 first... then the sound kicks in.

I might go to harbor freight and get a mechanics stethoscope like suggested to try and pin point the noise. When it's occurring and you pop the hood... the standard engine sounds drown it out mostly... but from my take... it was coming from under the AC pump area. It's pretty congested in there so i home the scope will help.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts