Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I have a fairly new (under a year) Crosstrek that has this very very annoying issue.
Only after my car has been off for an extended period, when I start it, wait for it to warm up, for the first 5 to 10 minutes when the car is stopped/idle there is a very noticeable chirping/high pitch sound coming from the engine.
If I gas ever so slightly, this sound is intensified (reminds me of a poorly installed amp and you can hear the engine through your speakers).
After 10 minutes or so you cannot hear this sound anymore.

I am fairly certain this has gotten more noticeable and lasts a tad bit longer than before.
I did report this during my first service and was told "this is typical, oil moving around...blah blah blah".
I'm just having a hard time accepting that a brand new car is expected to have this sound this is, quite honestly, very annoying to hear.

I plan on re-reporting this during my next service but wanted to check on this forum to see if others experience this and if it is indeed "normal" for this car?

Thanks in advance!

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,809 Posts
Hi All!

I have a fairly new (under a year) Crosstrek that has this very very annoying issue.
Only after my car has been off for an extended period, when I start it, wait for it to warm up, for the first 5 to 10 minutes when the car is stopped/idle there is a very noticeable chirping/high pitch sound coming from the engine.
If I gas ever so slightly, this sound is intensified (reminds me of a poorly installed amp and you can hear the engine through your speakers).
After 10 minutes or so you cannot hear this sound anymore.

I am fairly certain this has gotten more noticeable and lasts a tad bit longer than before.
I did report this during my first service and was told "this is typical, oil moving around...blah blah blah".
I'm just having a hard time accepting that a brand new car is expected to have this sound this is, quite honestly, very annoying to hear.

I plan on re-reporting this during my next service but wanted to check on this forum to see if others experience this and if it is indeed "normal" for this car?

Thanks in advance!
Not on our '18 and it's almost identical to the '19.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,153 Posts
Not on our 2019. Take it to another Subaru dealer if that is an option.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not experiencing such a noise on my ‘19. Even had the wife double-check my hearing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all who have replied.
Took it in today (for the second time regarding this sound) and was given the runaround again saying this is normal.
This sounds exceeds anything that could be considered normal (i even played them recordings of it)!!
Of course they said I would need to leave it overnight so they could test it when it's cold (which is when it happens).
Of course no loaner car.

I will try my luck at another dealership.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This is the sounds I've been dealing with? (LINK BELOW) It's only an issue on cool/cold starts. It does go away after the car has warmed for 10-15 mins. It has nothing to do with the blower AC fan. You can hear me give it a bit of gas the pitch goes higher and faster.
I had left the car with the dealer last winter over night so they could catch the sound. They did ... but weren't able to isolate it before it warmed and went away. And with it being the end of winter, we ran out of cold nights.So they made a record of the issue and that I would address it again this winter. Now with the three recalls i need addressed, I will have them look at it again. Might just tell them to focus on a belt and see what happens.

Chirping in 2018 CT

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,809 Posts
Ours has a squeaky, chirpy noise from the dash when it has been parked outside and is really cold (e.g. up in the mountains in the winter). It goes away when the car warms up.

·
Registered
526 Posts
That sound commonly caused by alternator if it goes away after a while, typically happens when weather is wet or cold. The interesting part sometimes it also can be remediated by changing battery if the battery is weak. I believe the reason is due to alternator works very hard when you just start the engine for the first time that cause the sound, oncr the battery reach optimum viltage, it slow down the charge and the noise disappear.

·
Registered
45 Posts
That sound commonly caused by alternator if it goes away after a while, typically happens when weather is wet or cold. The interesting part sometimes it also can be remediated by changing battery if the battery is weak. I believe the reason is due to alternator works very hard when you just start the engine for the first time that cause the sound, oncr the battery reach optimum viltage, it slow down the charge and the noise disappear.
I agree with the above, it's the alternator. Mine does this as well while it warms up. It isn't nearly as loud though. I have a 2018 crosstrek.

·
Registered
526 Posts
It is very difficult to tell from the recording since it has no visual, so either compared with other car side by side or record video using mobile phone from various location in engine bay to isolate the source. Some shortcircuited battery may cause the same issue. subaru engine is known noisy as well during cold atartup

·
Registered
80 Posts
The recording is directly at and the loudest at the interior center hud console area of the car coming from the engine wall. If you pop the hood to listen... the overall engine noise drowns it out completely.

did you crank the volume up on the video to help?

·
Registered
526 Posts
The recording is directly at and the loudest at the interior center hud console area of the car coming from the engine wall. If you pop the hood to listen... the overall engine noise drowns it out completely.

did you crank the volume up on the video to help?
The sounds looks like the one caused by alternator, however to claim replacement may not straight forward except they are ok to fix other unit and see if the noise disappear. You may need to check your battery as well if this just recently happen

·
Registered
80 Posts
So I have an appointment on the 20th to address the three recalls and then have then go after the chirping sound again. In the mean time, I ran a quick errand this weekend… noticed the sound doesn’t start immediately on a cold start. It kicks in after a 5 mins of driving and then stays there until the engine warms. I got home and popped the hood to see if I could isolate the sound. So take a look at the engine pick below. I would say it coming from the area circled in yellow… maybe between it and whatever is to the right (circled in red).

What are these parts of the engine?

Attachments

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,809 Posts
That's the A/C compressor, although it can be deceptive where sounds are coming from in an engine compartment...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks. It did sound like it was coming from the right side or below to the right of that A/C compressor area. I had my son come over and run his ear back and forth over the engine too to isolate the sound. He pointed to the exact same area.
-Would this AC compressor still run to any extent when the AC or heat is not running at all?
-What's to the right of the AC compressor?

I will say that the alternator on the left wasn't making any "off" sounds.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,809 Posts
Thanks. It did sound like it was coming from the right side or below to the right of that A/C compressor area. I had my son come over and run his ear back and forth over the engine too to isolate the sound. He pointed to the exact same area.
-Would this AC compressor still run to any extent when the AC or heat is not running at all?
-What's to the right of the AC compressor?

I will say that the alternator on the left wasn't making any "off" sounds.
They're driven by the engine, so even if it's not "compressing" it will be spinning. There's a clutch on the pulley driven by the engine that determines if the compressor is engaged or not. So, even if the A/C is off, the clutch could be making the noise. The aluminum pipes circled in red carry the refrigerant.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts