Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , I have a 2019 Crosstrex.
Just after a long 2/12 hour drive returning home . Vehicle may have sat for about 6 hours. I went to start the Crosstrex and all I could hear was some clicking .
It has been very hot weather here in Ontario ,Mississauga Canada.

Finally , it did start ! Never happened B4 ?
Even in are cold winters LOL
I been reading possible inferior OEM batterie ?
Also , many different views on the reasons for this intermittent start .

Whats a good Batterie replacement ,type / group size .
Thanks
Victor

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,279 Posts
Just after a long 2/12 hour drive returning home . Vehicle may have sat for about 6 hours. I went to start the Crosstrex and all I could hear was some clicking .

Thanks
Victor
Had a very similar experience with our '18 after only a year so I got the best battery I could rather than the crappy OEM one under warranty and haven't had any issues since, even through the pandemic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had my OEM battery replaced under warranty and the replacement was a bigger capacity (65ah rather than the original 60ah). It is a Yuasa which another dealer tells me is a much better battery.
Worth letting Subaru replace yours under Warranty and then decide if you need to spend your own money.
Apparently Subaru UK know that the Japanese oe batteries are inferior which is why they supply different ones.

·
Prefers black cats
13,279 Posts
I had my OEM battery replaced under warranty and the replacement was a bigger capacity (65ah rather than the original 60ah). It is a Yuasa which another dealer tells me is a much better battery.
Worth letting Subaru replace yours under Warranty and then decide if you need to spend your own money.
Apparently Subaru UK know that the Japanese oe batteries are inferior which is why they supply different ones.
I somewhat agree but it was worth the cost to me not to get stranded in the mountains. The problem happened up in Big Bear in the snow (fortunately, it was outside our cabin). I didn't want to chance an experiment with another OEM battery.

I really don't understand the reluctance some folks here have to spending a few hundred dollars upgrading the battery. Many members here spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on mods and upgrades on their new Crosstreks. Just sayin'... 😸 .

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,012 Posts

Thanks
Victor
Model Year 2018 and Newer - Battery size for 2018-19 Crosstrek | Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums (subaruxvforum.com)

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
991 Posts
If you are still under warranty go to the dealer to get it replaced.

·
Prefers black cats
13,279 Posts
If you are still under warranty go to the dealer to get it replaced.
I respectfully disagree!

For the same amount of effort and a few hundred dollars you could "upgrade" a $30K car...

·
Prefers black cats
13,279 Posts
That's your opinion. But if the warranty hasn't expired yet get Subaru to replace it and save your money but if he's out of warranty then go aftermarket.
And get stuck up in the mountains again? Did you read my earlier posts?

·
Registered
991 Posts
And get stuck up in the mountains again? Did you read my earlier posts?
You should carry a booster pack in case sometimes goes wrong. Maybe that battery was faulty? I still have my OEM battery and it's still functioning properly even in Canadian winters!

It's the owner's call at the end of the day. I won't spend my hard-earned money when it can be warrantied due to a defect from the manufacturer, and I know it's a little bit more challenging to get a decent OEM battery because they try to cut corners to save $$$$ when building.

·
Prefers black cats
13,279 Posts
You should carry a booster pack in case sometimes goes wrong. Maybe that battery was faulty? I still have my OEM battery and it's still functioning properly even in Canadian winters!

It's the owner's call at the end of the day. I won't spend my hard-earned money when it can be warrantied due to a defect from the manufacturer, and I know it's a little bit more challenging to get a decent OEM battery because they try to cut corners to save $$$$ when building.
I know, you rarely post here but always have to have to have the last word. Yes, we have Stanley Powerstations in both of our cars, and they do a LOT more than just a jumper.

It's up to the OP. For a $30K car I think it's worth a tiny fraction of that for a reliable battery, especially when venturing into extreme conditions, which is touted for this crossover...

·
Registered
991 Posts
I know, you rarely post here but always have to have to have the last word. Yes, we have Stanley Powerstations in both of our cars, and they do a LOT more than just a jumper.

It's up to the OP. For a $30K car I think it's worth a tiny fraction of that for a reliable battery, especially when venturing into extreme conditions, which is touted for this crossover...
You're right.

·
Registered
114 Posts
After 3 years my battery on my '13 just up & died. A little research shows that a 24F is only about 3/8" bigger but has like 700 AH v/s 500 stock. Also was about $20 cheaper. Still going strong 5 years later.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,012 Posts

Reactions: Arthur

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just ticked four years last week since buying my 2018. Still on the same battery I bought it with, knocks on wood.
Seek alternator/battery re-charging advice: 2019 Crosstrek c.3500 miles recently needed 4 jump starts. Yesterday, Subaru replaced battery AND told me to drive at least 1 x per wk for 20 min at 60 mph to get the alternator to charge the battery. What!?? I live in the middle of Seattle, can walk many places and drive very little. What are others doing to compensate for starting engine and the 24/7 energy-sucking electronics? Thanks in advance for practical suggestions.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,012 Posts
Seek alternator/battery re-charging advice: 2019 Crosstrek c.3500 miles recently needed 4 jump starts. Yesterday, Subaru replaced battery AND told me to drive at least 1 x per wk for 20 min at 60 mph to get the alternator to charge the battery. What!?? I live in the middle of Seattle, can walk many places and drive very little. What are others doing to compensate for starting engine and the 24/7 energy-sucking electronics? Thanks in advance for practical suggestions.
Model Year 2012 to 2017 - Battery draining within days | Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums (subaruxvforum.com)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts