Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2018 Crosstrek with 40000 miles, the Air Conditioning is not working. I was curious if this is a common problem with the 2018+ Crosstrek?

I did call the dealer and unfortunately I am out of warranty. I tried to say the problem probably occurred before 36000 miles but since it was winter we didn't notice that the AC wasn't working, but that didn't work.

Anyhow, again, I was curious if there are any known weak points or known issues with the 2018+ Crosstrek AC system?

With the AC turned on maximum, the compressor does not turn on and a thermostat inserted into the vent was reading 80+ degrees (F) - no change over temperature with AC off. With the engine off, the AC compressor turns freely by hand. I don't recall the compressor ever sounding badly.

I suspect it is a leak, so no pressure in the system, hence the compressor will not turn on.

I'd also be curious if the A/C system in the 2018+ MY is similar to that if the previous model year or in other Subaru models, if anyone knows off hand. I did notice there is no AC relay in my car to check.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I couldn't find any TSB's about the A/C for your year, and haven't read a lot of complaints.
In previous years there were issues with the compressor O-rings leaking, but have seen nothing for the 18+ models.

As noted in post #15 in another thread, the compressor is variable output and does not have a clutch, hence there's no A/C relay for it. See: Model Year 2018 and Newer - MY18 Crosstrek: A/C relay location?

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,097 Posts
Not that I've seen here, and not with ours. Something that happens with cars but not a common problem here.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a ‘15 with 60K and just had to replace the expansion valve.
You most likely have a leak. Have a shop fill up the refrigerant and add dye to the system to help figure out where the leak is coming from. This works if it’s a small leak. On larger leaks a leak detector (the beeping kind) can spot where the leak is coming from.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i actually just fix my the ac in mine also. had very similar symptoms. ac compressor wouldnt turn on. turns out the low pressure valve was leaking. replaced the valve and had a shop evac the lines and refill. good as new.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Sunshine Orange Premium package auto
1 Posts
Had a rock go thru the condenser coil on my 2018 crosstrek.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On my 2018 Crosstrek with 40000 miles, the Air Conditioning is not working. I was curious if this is a common problem with the 2018+ Crosstrek?

I did call the dealer and unfortunately I am out of warranty. I tried to say the problem probably occurred before 36000 miles but since it was winter we didn't notice that the AC wasn't working, but that didn't work.

Anyhow, again, I was curious if there are any known weak points or known issues with the 2018+ Crosstrek AC system?

With the AC turned on maximum, the compressor does not turn on and a thermostat inserted into the vent was reading 80+ degrees (F) - no change over temperature with AC off. With the engine off, the AC compressor turns freely by hand. I don't recall the compressor ever sounding badly.

I suspect it is a leak, so no pressure in the system, hence the compressor will not turn on.

I'd also be curious if the A/C system in the 2018+ MY is similar to that if the previous model year or in other Subaru models, if anyone knows off hand. I did notice there is no AC relay in my car to check.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On the one year anniversary of the date I picked up my new 2018 Crosstrek, my AC went out. The service guys told me that it failed due to damage caused by debris coming up from the road. I still find that hard to believe. I didn't see, feel, or hear any sound to indicate that some object or stone came thru the grill, caused no other damage, but, put a hole in the condenser, (or is it the compressor). They said it wouldn't normally be covered under warranty but they would not charge me this time. I wonder if it is made of aluminum foil?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts