Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the 2018 roof rails the same as the 2017 model? Asking because many sites don't list crossbars for the 2018 model, but many for 2017.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Check 2017 impreza roof rail compatibility.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
No.

17 # E361SFJ100
18#E361SFL400

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
My original post is below, but read further... unfortunately I was wrong :sad:

I took the crossbars off my 2015, walked 20 feet to my 2018, and put them right on the 2018. No trouble at all. Despite any differences in the rails, the crossbars for the 1st Gens work just fine on either.

Couple images illustrating the bars:

IMGP7477_edited.jpg

IMGP7480_edited_cropped.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
I took the crossbars off my 2015, walked 20 feet to my 2018, and put them right on the 2018. No trouble at all. Despite any differences in the rails, the crossbars for the 1st Gens work just fine on either.

Couple images illustrating the bars:

View attachment 242666

View attachment 242674
They will attach fine but you will find a gap on the inside portion of the rails. When under load, the bars will twist. The dealer sold me the wrong part number E361SFJ100 and told me it was the right part. Well after I attached my bike rack and loaded my 30lb mountain bike, the bars creaked very badly. I got my MY18 very early so at the time the new part number was not in the system. I had to go back and get the right part E361SFL400. The bars fit perfectly on the rails without any gap. I took pictures to show the dealer but unfortuantely I deleted them so can't post any here.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
They will attach fine but you will find a gap on the inside portion of the rails. When under load, the bars will twist. The dealer sold me the wrong part number E361SFJ100 and told me it was the right part. Well after I attached my bike rack and loaded my 30lb mountain bike, the bars creaked very badly. I got my MY18 very early so at the time the new part number was not in the system. I had to go back and get the right part E361SFL400. The bars fit perfectly on the rails without any gap. I took pictures to show the dealer but unfortuantely I deleted them so can't post any here.
Huh, haven't noticed any gaps, but also haven't used the bars yet for any loads. Thanks for the info, I'll have to investigate further. They seems to seat just fine, so any difference must be pretty small... wonder if there's any way to jury-rig a fix... I'd only be using mine for a basket in which to place a luggage bag.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Huh, haven't noticed any gaps, but also haven't used the bars yet for any loads. Thanks for the info, I'll have to investigate further. They seems to seat just fine, so any difference must be pretty small... wonder if there's any way to jury-rig a fix... I'd only be using mine for a basket in which to place a luggage bag.
The close up pictures that I took of the wrongs bars are deleted and long gone from my phone. The only picture that I have to help illustrate of the wrong bars below. The gap is on the inside edge of the rails (all four corners). You should be able to see it easily. I will take a picture of the right crossbars later and show you what NO gap should look like.

IMG_1628.jpg IMG_1628 zoom.jpg

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The close up pictures that I took of the wrongs bars are deleted and long gone from my phone. The only picture that I have to help illustrate of the wrong bars below. The gap is on the inside edge of the rails (all four corners). You should be able to see it easily. I will take a picture of the right crossbars later and show you what NO gap should look like.

View attachment 242682 View attachment 242690
I'll check that area on mine. I think I get the gist of what you're referring to. I'll try to post pics tomorrow which might shed further light on the subject.

Edit: Yep, now that you pointed out the gap, there it is plain as day :( Can't say I'm happy to be wrong about this, but I'm certainly glad you pointed out my error before I put any load on the bars. Ugh, now I'm going to have to find replacements before I leave for holiday trips.

Pics to illustrate soopercooper's point:

front_bar.jpg rear_bar.jpg

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts

[iurl="http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=242682&d=1506029156"]
[/iurl][iurl="http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=242690&d=1506029166"]
[/iurl]
I'll check that area on mine. I think I get the gist of what you're referring to. I'll try to post pics tomorrow which might shed further light on the subject.

Edit: Yep, now that you pointed out the gap, there it is plain as day
Can't say I'm happy to be wrong about this, but I'm certainly glad you pointed out my error before I put any load on the bars. Ugh, now I'm going to have to find replacements before I leave for holiday trips.

Pics to illustrate soopercooper's point:

[iurl="http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=243042&d=1506079940"]
[/iurl] [iurl="http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=243050&d=1506079966"]
[/iurl]
That?s exactly what the gap looked like when the dealer sold me the wrong crossbars. That gap allows for the bars to twist under load. Here?s what no gap looks like with the correct bars.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Amazon is listing the 2017 Impreza bars as # E361SFL000, although the pics show silver rails, so maybe that's for Euro cars or something.

Still, this listing says it's for the 2017 Imp:
https://www.amazon.com/Subaru-2017-Impreza-Crossbar-Set/dp/B01N3MQ2M8/ref=pd_sbs_263_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=818F20XQ7N8EK4VY5G4K

Here are the links from dealer parts site:

https://parts.kearnymesasubaru.com/p/Subaru_2018_Crosstrek/Crossbar-Set---Aero/70227731/E361SFL400.html

E361SFL400 fits MY18 Crosstrek ONLY.

https://parts.kearnymesasubaru.com/p/Subaru_2017_Crosstrek/Cross-Bar-Aero/49925122/E361SFJ100.html

E361SFJ100 fits MY13-17 Crosstrek. Also fits MY17 Impreza.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do you find that the Subaru aero crossbars are strong enough & dont wobble or anything? https://subaruonlineparts.com/subaru-crosstrek-crossbar-aero-p-4557.html

They are substantially cheaper than the Thule branded crossbars. $155 vs $300-$400. I plan on loading 2 bikes.
I've had two sets of Thule AeroBlade for my last cars and they were great. Much thicker than the Subaru part and very straight/flat left to right. The Subaru parts have a slight curvature to them. I have to shim one side of my bike carrier to make sure the bike mount is perpendicular, otherwise my bike will tilt to the side. The only reason I went with the OEM bars for the Crosstrek is the price.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The crossbars I took from my 14 and put on my 18 came from my 11 STI. They fit all 3 cars fine with no gaps. Carried my bike up there the other day with no issues?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I took the OEM crossbars from my 2015 Impreza and put it on the 2018 Crosstrek, no gaps here, works pretty well; I do consider upgrading to the extended crossbars as I plan to rig up the Crosstrek and it'll be carrying a heavier load.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just got the CDN$65 locking "CargoLoc 47-inch Cross Bars" from Amazon.ca for my MY18 (yes, that's $200 cheaper than the Subaru ones). They install and fit well enough, not much wind noise up to highway speeds. Haven't put the canoe on them yet -- bit cold right now.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I just got the CDN$65 locking "CargoLoc 47-inch Cross Bars" from Amazon.ca for my MY18 (yes, that's $200 cheaper than the Subaru ones). They install and fit well enough, not much wind noise up to highway speeds. Haven't put the canoe on them yet -- bit cold right now.
I think I got the exact same ones. LINK HERE

They went on really easy. They're not the most refined product, but during installation I detected no defects in the actual design/construction. the materials seem sturdy enough. My cargo basket attached just fine to them. I also like that the bars can be adjusted left/right as well as forward/back, and they are lockable.

It's not the prettiest set-up, but I'm thinking it should do to get my four member family and our luggage from the DC suburbs to north Florida and back over Christmas. Here's some pics...

IMGP7520.jpg

IMGP7516.jpg

IMGP7519.jpg

IMGP7518.jpg

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,329 Posts
I also have the Cargoloc crossbars. I have a Thule cargo box on top. Works great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They are definitely different, so don't try to purchase the older version if you have a '19.

You can get genuine subaru ones, otherwise Vault seems to have a way better deal on their Crosstrek crossbars (both version's available)

You end up saving about $75 depending on tax, shipping (free through Vault's website), etc

1 - 20 of 21 Posts