Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new owner of a 2018 Premium. I've seen some light mods on the older (13-17) models for the "C-LIGHT' or "Boomerang" lights. I'm seeing if anyones made these mods for the 2018? I'm looking at my lights and it seems its just a housing wit the C-lights/boomerangs, no actual bulb or lights going into that fixture/area? any advice or how-tos would be great!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would say if there is no bulb to replace then the c lights are most likely all LEDs inside the housing. So far the '18s I have seen the c light looks very white thus assuming LEDs.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm a new owner of a 2018 Premium. I've seen some light mods on the older (13-17) models for the "C-LIGHT' or "Boomerang" lights. I'm seeing if anyones made these mods for the 2018? I'm looking at my lights and it seems its just a housing wit the C-lights/boomerangs, no actual bulb or lights going into that fixture/area? any advice or how-tos would be great!
I am not sure if there is any C-lights, at least in my MY18 Premium headlights.
I was looking into this as they are cool, but now have doubts that they exist in any MY18 Crosstrek models.

Anyone know better in detail?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a MY18 JRB base model and looked at the backend of the headlamp console just last night. It “appears” that there is no plug and/or bulb for these boomerang lights, but where these lights would go it seems to sealed or covered with plastic or tape. I am thinking that a off the shelf 194 pigtail with a LED lamp would fit. I got my Hella horn swap project this weekend and if weather permits; plan to do these boomerang lights. If my theory proves successful, I’ll post an update.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
C lights are Available in the Sport trim ( Canada) and I can confirm they Are LED's, also this trim has the Steering responsive
lighting as well, Full LED rear Brake lighting, I have added MoriMoto LED Fogs lights to match the LED Headlamp color

Very Happy with it :signlol:

Troutbum

·
Registered
168 Posts
I really wonder if one can actually just swap out the premium (non-C-light & non-LED) headlight unit, and install a LED & C-light unit for the Limited & Canada Sports version.
If truly possible, I would like to swap them out ASAP.
Has anybody tried this, and/or ask the deal if this is actually possible?
I think this would be a much better solution/option than a DIY bulb swap and C-light install.
Looking for answers, to push me into doing this...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know this thread is a bit old, but I was just thinking about starting a new one on this very subject and figured I'd look for an existing thread first. I see this as being an aftermarket upgrade by someone like diode dynamics (hint hint DD!!). I would love if there was a C-light option for the standard halogen lights on the 18. It appears as though the C shaped piece in the halogen crosstrek lights is not "built in" to the housing. Would be awesome if someone could come up with a replacement lens with LEDs for that piece instead of sticking a strip of LEDs over that piece that you would be able to see! Here's an image of the factory light to show that piece. I'm sure if it's possible someone will do it eventually, but I want it meow!

IMG_6294_preview__30192.1511296300.600.720.jpg

·
Registered
168 Posts
I know this thread is a bit old, but I was just thinking about starting a new one on this very subject and figured I'd look for an existing thread first. I see this as being an aftermarket upgrade by someone like diode dynamics (hint hint DD!!). I would love if there was a C-light option for the standard halogen lights on the 18. It appears as though the C shaped piece in the halogen crosstrek lights is not "built in" to the housing. Would be awesome if someone could come up with a replacement lens with LEDs for that piece instead of sticking a strip of LEDs over that piece that you would be able to see! Here's an image of the factory light to show that piece. I'm sure if it's possible someone will do it eventually, but I want it meow!

View attachment 278889
Well, one of the many issues would be, it seems pretty darn difficult to 'open' up the headlight unit itself, if you want to insert something inside, and keeping it watertight afterwards.

I would love to have everything LED, not just the C-light.

I really wonder if anyone has tried replacing the MY18 Halogen headlight units, with the MY18 LED headlight units?
And does it / would it work?
I presume the MY18 headlight unit sizes are all the same, and possibly the internal socket and wiring are also all the same.
So, is a swap possible???

·
Registered
23 Posts
There are a couple other threads asking the same question about the Limited swap and it seems much more complicated (not to mention expensive) than just swapping and plugging in. My solution while waiting for a C-light option is going to be replacing all halogen with LED bulbs from Diode Dynamics. They have bulbs made to work with the reflector housings resulting in the same light patterns as halogen, but much brighter and whiter. They have a whole section on their site for the 18 Crosstrek. I have opened headlights before and it's not a huge deal as long as you're careful, patient and use the correct sealant to close them back up. Here's the 18 Crosstrek section on their site. Check em out! https://www.diodedynamics.com/by-vehicle.html?no_cache=1&find=2018-subaru-crosstrek-114793

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, one of the many issues would be, it seems pretty darn difficult to 'open' up the headlight unit itself, if you want to insert something inside, and keeping it watertight afterwards.

I really wonder if anyone has tried replacing the MY18 Halogen headlight units, with the MY18 LED headlight units?
I presume the MY18 headlight unit sizes are all the same, and possibly the internal socket and wiring are also all the same.
I tried to reply yesterday and it hasn't gone through. I added a link to the 18 Crosstrek Diode Dynamics page, but as far as I can tell that's allowed. Sorry, I'm new to the forum and a bit new to forums in general.

I have opened headlights before and as long as you're careful and patient, it isn't that big of a deal (although a bit scary every time). Lots of tutorials on YouTube with various techniques.

There have been a couple different threads on the limited assembly swap and from what I can gather, it's much more complicated than just a swap. My solution is going to be replacing most halogen lights with LEDs from Diode Dynamics. Their LEDs are made to work in reflector housings so they have the same light pattern as the halogen, but brighter and whiter (if that's the color you choose). They have a whole 18 Crosstrek page on their site. Just search by vehicle. The LEDs aren't cheap, but based on the price of most OEM headlight assemblies, it should still be a cheaper option. And they'll last longer anyway.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
there's been a few people that have retrofitted projectors to replace the halogen, there's been no breakthrough in adding C-Lights into the 18+ basic/premium trims.

I'm considering purchasing the C-light kit made for the 16-17 model and maybe forcing a retro fit.

as of right now, there is no plug/play option. Any upgrade would be a retrofit/custom job.

I got a quote from a lighting shop on the east coast, they can do the whole thing for $1100 if you're willing to drop that kind of money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a MY18 JRB base model and looked at the backend of the headlamp console just last night. It “appears” that there is no plug and/or bulb for these boomerang lights, but where these lights would go it seems to sealed or covered with plastic or tape. I am thinking that a off the shelf 194 pigtail with a LED lamp would fit. I got my Hella horn swap project this weekend and if weather permits; plan to do these boomerang lights. If my theory proves successful, I’ll post an update.
Any update on this?

·
Registered
13 Posts

Opening the 2nd gen headlights is not that bad at all. Sealing it correctly is not that bad either if you get the right sealant. I opened mine for a projectors retrofit project recently and its definitely doable if you plan it out well.

If you're going through all that then you might as well swap the whole halogen unit out for the Limited LED units and rewire it.

2019 XV Projectors Retrofits

1 - 14 of 14 Posts