Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Limited folks, has anyone verified the auto-leveler operation of their LED headlights? I see that the modules are in place on the control arms, but have not seen the light cutoff move when car is angled. The only other vehicle I have that has this feature is a 2005 Mini Cooper S. I can actually see the cutoff notch down when the car is angled up. Does Subaru achieve this in some other way?

·
Registered
25 Posts
When you say "the car is angled" do you mean it is on a slope, or that you add/remove weight from the back? I believe that the Subaru sysyem only responds to the latter.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These headlight levelers sit on the body and have an armature attached to the control arm. So it would be whenever the control arm moves enough, as in *** end of car goes down enough during accel, speedbump, weighted down, etc. Like I said my Mini will noticeably move the cutoff. I've gone over large enough speedbumps in the Crosstrek, but it seems like the cutoff just stays put and the beam gets thrown upward. Haven't floored it yet, not until after the first 3K miles with me, but so far it seems like the operation is quite different.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm bumping my old thread since I'd really like to read thoughts on this. I can still confirm the levelers on mine don't appear to affect the cutoff. Anyone else curious as to why not?

·
Registered
19 Crosstrek Limited ORANGE
37 Posts
I can verify that my headlights do aim down when my car is at an upward angle, but it will only do it if I'm at a complete stop. I tore apart a spare LED headlight I have, and it's really interesting to see how everything works! These headlights are a lot more sophisticated than I was expecting.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for confirming they work. Sounds like Subaru decided to only take their action into account at a stop. Wonder why not allow headlight leveling full time. I find it slightly annoying when other vehicles dont have this feature and it seems like drivers are flashing you when theyre just going over large bumps.

·
Registered
19 Crosstrek Limited ORANGE
37 Posts
Thanks for confirming they work. Sounds like Subaru decided to only take their action into account at a stop. Wonder why not allow headlight leveling full time. I find it slightly annoying when other vehicles dont have this feature and it seems like drivers are flashing you when theyre just going over large bumps.
Yeah, I'm not sure why auto manufacturers aren't doing it for when the vehicle is driving yet. I deal with a lot of speed bumps every day, so I know what you mean with how it seems how they're flashing you. Maybe it's due to not wanting to wear out the motors so they don't fail as early? idk.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure why auto manufacturers aren't doing it for when the vehicle is driving yet. I deal with a lot of speed bumps every day, so I know what you mean with how it seems how they're flashing you. Maybe it's due to not wanting to wear out the motors so they don't fail as early? idk.
My guess is costs and regulations. The Subaru setup is much simpler then a dynamic system. Also many OEM’s have switched to ADB systems outside of the USA. These advanced systems are still illegal here in the USA but I think Canada recently made them legal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Sport, Sunshine Orange
35 Posts
Just clarifying, are we talking about the LED headlights leveling up and down based off of angle the car is sitting at? If so, I haven't noticed this. I have noticed the Steering Responsive Headlight (SRH) feature working, moving the lights side to side while turning, but I haven't noticed the beam moving vertically.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,097 Posts
Just clarifying, are we talking about the LED headlights leveling up and down based off of angle the car is sitting at? If so, I haven't noticed this. I have noticed the Steering Responsive Headlight (SRH) feature working, moving the lights side to side while turning, but I haven't noticed the beam moving vertically.
If it's working properly, you shouldn't notice the automatic headlight leveller working. That's kind of the point, LOL, it's supposed to keep the beams aligned properly, in the same place, whether or not there's a heavy load in the back.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You have to look very closely. Next time you come to a stop after a bit of driving look at the top cutoff of your beam. You will notice that the beam moves a few mm up or down. It won’t happen every time but you will see it if you really pay attention. It happens a second or two after coming to a complete stop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts