Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I've now got Rallisport's rev hang delete tune loaded with an otherwise standard power delivery tune. This is how Subaru should have had the car setup from the factory, as far as rev hang is concerned. The driver's foot is now responsible for doing the rev matching when changing gears. What a novel concept! I only wish this had been available 18 months ago so I wouldn't have had to put my clutch through 17,xxx miles of torture with that OEM tune.
:icon_mrgreen:

·
Registered
111 Posts
:icon_mrgreen:
Can't wait for my car to arrive from the factory! I have never purchased or installed a tune before so please forgive me if my questions sound elementary. What are the steps to installing just the rev hand delete tune? Do I just need to purchase a Tactrix Open Port 2.0 or are there other Open Port options? Do I need additional software? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Can't wait for my car to arrive from the factory! I have never purchased or installed a tune before so please forgive me if my questions sound elementary. What are the steps to installing just the rev hand delete tune? Do I just need to purchase a Tactrix Open Port 2.0 or are there other Open Port options? Do I need additional software? Thanks in advance!
You need a Tactrix Openport 2.0 and subaruEdit software, the "lite" version, about $280 for both.

Think of the process as similar to plugging your phone into your laptop and updating the operating system, but on your car. Takes less than 10 minutes to flash after everything is set up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
You need a Tactrix Openport 2.0 and subaruEdit software, the "lite" version, about $280 for both.

Think of the process as similar to plugging your phone into your laptop and updating the operating system, but on your car. Takes less than 10 minutes to flash after everything is set up.

Thanks! Is this the software (it doesn't indicate the Crosstrek)? http://www.epifansoft.com/subaruEdit-versions-prices.html

·
Registered
78 Posts
Rallisport sent me a tune update that invokes one of the better performing existing Subaru fueling maps in place of one of the standard poor performing fueling maps. The result is that I see better pulling, non-lugging performance in the 1700 to 2200 RPM range around town. There's less performance increase when I get to the 3k RPM and up 'fun zone' because the performance is now better below that. This was a pleasant surprise. I haven't noticed any obvious performance increases at Texas highway traffic speeds, but how I drive might already have been invoking a similar fueling map at those speeds. I haven't tried to explore how low of RPM I can run the engine with still acceptable pull (and no lugging), but this tune update was a pleasant surprise. With the deletion of the rev hang, my shifting was already infinitely smoother. Now there's better fueling on top of that for even smoother performance. Almost like I've been driving manual transmissions for 25 years and know what I'm doing. The car now lets me run it properly. Did I say I really like that? It has been a good day.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks! Is this the software (it doesn't indicate the Crosstrek)? epifanSoftware | subaruEdit | Versions & prices
It's the "lite" package of the "All 2011+ Subaru equipped with FB-series engines [all markets]" at the bottom of the page. You will have to contact the epifansoft people directly to purchase the lite version. My experience is that I'd recommend getting the Tactrix openport 2.0 first and have it in hand when you contact epifansoft to get the subaruEdit lite software. There may be some back and forth with them for registering the software and associating it to your vehicle that could involve connecting to the car a couple of times. At least for my Impreza it did.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It's the "lite" package of the "All 2011+ Subaru equipped with FB-series engines [all markets]" at the bottom of the page. You will have to contact the epifansoft people directly to purchase the lite version. My experience is that I'd recommend getting the Tactrix openport 2.0 first and have it in hand when you contact epifansoft to get the subaruEdit lite software. There may be some back and forth with them for registering the software and associating it to your vehicle that could involve connecting to the car a couple of times. At least for my Impreza it did.
I really appreciate the help! Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Rallisport sent me a tune update that invokes one of the better performing existing Subaru fueling maps in place of one of the standard poor performing fueling maps. The result is that I see better pulling, non-lugging performance in the 1700 to 2200 RPM range around town. There's less performance increase when I get to the 3k RPM and up 'fun zone' because the performance is now better below that. This was a pleasant surprise. I haven't noticed any obvious performance increases at Texas highway traffic speeds, but how I drive might already have been invoking a similar fueling map at those speeds. I haven't tried to explore how low of RPM I can run the engine with still acceptable pull (and no lugging), but this tune update was a pleasant surprise. With the deletion of the rev hang, my shifting was already infinitely smoother. Now there's better fueling on top of that for even smoother performance. Almost like I've been driving manual transmissions for 25 years and know what I'm doing. The car now lets me run it properly. Did I say I really like that? It has been a good day.
Good to know that I'm not the only one that noticed a decent difference with the new fueling map, very happy with the decision to get the 6MT, even more so after Rallisport's tune. Downshifting with the UEL headers and nameless delete makes me smile every time.

·
Premium Member
8,374 Posts
It would be interesting to see the results on a dyno with before and afters.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So far what I've been testing in the tunes for my car wouldn't be a peak power increase, but more akin to telling the engine to use it's ability to jog rather than walk or crawl, and improved thresholds telling the car when to make the better power output. In the OEM tune, I think the car is like the dueling scene from The Princess Bride:

"I admit you are better than me but I have a secret. I am not left handed."

The tunes I've tried out so far are like telling the car to start sword fighting now with it's right hand so it can do a better job with it's performance.

·
Premium Member
8,374 Posts
So far what I've been testing in the tunes for my car wouldn't be a peak power increase, but more akin to telling the engine to use it's ability to jog rather than walk or crawl, and improved thresholds telling the car when to make the better power output. In the OEM tune, I think the car is like the dueling scene from The Princess Bride:

"I admit you are better than me but I have a secret. I am not left handed."

The tunes I've tried out so far are like telling the car to start sword fighting now with it's right hand so it can do a better job with it's performance.
The dyno comment was not about the typical 'seeing massive increases in HP at the top end' but rather how the power curve looks with the changes in place. We have seen previous dynos for the previous generation which showed the dips in power in certain RPM ranges that everyone complains about and how the tune flatten those dips out which adds to the driveability of the car. It would be interesting to see a similar comparison.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
The dyno comment was not about the typical 'seeing massive increases in HP at the top end' but rather how the power curve looks with the changes in place. We have seen previous dynos for the previous generation which showed the dips in power in certain RPM ranges that everyone complains about and how the tune flatten those dips out which adds to the driveability of the car. It would be interesting to see a similar comparison.
Can you elaborate on the previous generation's "power dips" please. I had a 2013 2.0i with a manual but it was a little too long ago to clearly remember. My wife has a 2015 but I pretty much never drive it and the CVT tends to mask such inadequacies.

·
Premium Member
8,374 Posts
Can you elaborate on the previous generation's "power dips" please. I had a 2013 2.0i with a manual but it was a little too long ago to clearly remember. My wife has a 2015 but I pretty much never drive it and the CVT tends to mask such inadequacies.
Sure can. But as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words and a link contains thousand more!

So, here's a couple of links for you on previous tuning discussions but first an shot of another tuner's initial results on a 2012 FB20 -

I can't vouch for the accuracy of this but I think it's generally accepted that the drips in both the HP and Torque curves in the base configuration are real in abouts those RPM ranges. In addition, the CVT seems to suffer a bit 'lag' coming from a full stop just under the 3,000 RPM range which may be that pause and slight dip that you see on the graph.

Here's a couple of links to previous threads -

https://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/performance-modifications/39138-tuning-results-fb20-engine-posted-finally.html

https://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/engine-drivetrain/25961-new-engine-tune-what-improvement.html

https://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/engine-drivetrain/108209-throttlehappy-tune.html

And of course, we also have some more unbiased feedback of what's 'under the hood' of one of the most popular Subaru tunes -https://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/engine-drivetrain/131282-throttle-happy-tuning.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wanted to say, now I have time to write this. The tune for rev hang delete is amazing along with the fuel mapping. I have no problems with the low to mid range. It feels linear and how it should have always been. In fact, I love it. I have no issues with anything. Rallisport walked me through this process very professionally and his assistance is appreciated. This morning, I flashed the ECU and immediately when i turned the corner and shifted into second. A huge smile grew upon my face. I was so happy. Im loving it. You're doing a great service to us 6MT crosstrek customers. Please keep it up and never quit! I'm looking forward to future tunes/updates/turbo kits/products.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all, customer #1 here. I used the ThrottleHappy tune on my 2015 CVT and have been logging/testing the tune for RalliSport on my 2018 CVT.

RalliSport has been awesome to work with, can't recommend him enough. He has been very helpful in making the 91 tune work well for my mile-high altitude and increased tire size (235/70R16). Puttering around town is massively improved, and unprotected left turns went from "kind of sketchy slow" to "kind of sketchy fast" when I punch it. Still working on finalizing things, but I'm very very happy so far, and I've learned a lot in the process! For reference the only mods I have are K&N and carbon filter delete.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I know I originally announced tuning for the 18+ crowd, but I'd just like to say that I am able to tune ANY 2012+ Subaru with a FB series engine, that means the FB20/FB25/FB20D etc. I was going to start a new thread, but thought that might be confusing to have two tuning threads at the same time.

I started tuning customer #5 last week and am currently helping tuning customer #6 get setup (he has a 2011 Legacy 2.5i). Word is slowly spreading, which is awesome, so keep letting the NA Subaru community know that I am here to help!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Since you tuned your 18, how is this effecting your overall gas mileage?
That is a good question. Since each tune I do is customized to the customer's needs/wants, there is a sliding scale when it comes to fuel mileage. I ask my tune customers this: on a scale of 1-10, 1 being the least performance gain with the best mileage and 10 being a tune for maximum performance at the sacrifice of a few mpg, where would you like your tune?
Heck, I could make a tune that actually gains a tiny bit of mpg. But with an aggressive tune and aggressive driving, you are likely to lose 2-3 mpg. If you get a moderately aggressive tune and drive like a normal human being most of the time, you shouldn't notice much loss, maybe 1-2 mpg.

I will say this, the higher octane gas you run, the easier it is to make more power (or just better overall driveability) without sacrificing mileage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is a good question. Since each tune I do is customized to the customer's needs/wants, there is a sliding scale when it comes to fuel mileage. I ask my tune customers this: on a scale of 1-10, 1 being the least performance gain with the best mileage and 10 being a tune for maximum performance at the sacrifice of a few mpg, where would you like your tune?
Heck, I could make a tune that actually gains a tiny bit of mpg. But with an aggressive tune and aggressive driving, you are likely to lose 2-3 mpg. If you get a moderately aggressive tune and drive like a normal human being most of the time, you shouldn't notice much loss, maybe 1-2 mpg.

I will say this, the higher octane gas you run, the easier it is to make more power (or just better overall driveability) without sacrificing mileage.
Great reply. Im excited to hear about these options coming available. I just bought a 2019 Impreza Sport with CVT and would love for it to be a bit more responsive on the low end. Ill be in touch one day. Thank you.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.