Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My insurance company, State Farm, won't agree to replace the windshield at Subaru on my four month old car after a pretty massive pine cone fell into the drivers side of the front windshield. The windshield has a deep indentation (pine cone shaped) with fracture spiders across the drivers side. The eye sight still works, perhaps the fractures not reaching their coverage.

My question.

Is an aftermarket piece of glass good enough to make eyesight work correctly? Can regular windshield replacement companies do the job and not upset Subaru warranty? Any thing to look out for? (No pun intended)

Thanks!
Raleigh

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would call Safelite or some windshield company and ask they if their windshield would interfere with Eyesight?

·
Registered
203 Posts
My understanding is that Eyesight requires a specific windshield...I would be cautious about the replacement.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know here in NY your insurance company can recommend a place to replace a windshield but they cannot dictate it...it is your choice!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Make sure that you get EyeSight recalibrated after the windshield replacement.
2nd this. It’s vital that you get this done.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd press the insurance co. for a new genuine Subaru windshield on a 4 month old car.

Non-factory replacement on other makes' cars results in calibration issues...just sayin'.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Non-factory replacement on other makes' cars results in calibration issues...just sayin'.
I kind of remember reading something about that a while back. Something about how the aftermarkets are made to the same qualifying safety standards but at a lesser quality than factory windshields, the ones designed to work well with systems like Eyesight.

I can't find the exact article and I have t run for an "important" meeting but here a quick read:
https://www.torquenews.com/1084/why-subaru-eyesight-models-require-oem-windshield-only

I know there's more info about this, windshields and glass buried in the forums.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would call Safelite or some windshield company and ask they if their windshield would interfere with Eyesight?
This turned out to be the solution. Safelite actually does the glass replacement for the local subaru dealer and uses Subaru parts. Unfortunately I was just informed that the front windshield glass isn't available from Subaru for two weeks. Can't use the Crosstrek as the windshield is caving into the interior. Got a rental car but pulling our pop up tent trailer on a camping trip planned for Monday is off. Can't believe how hard it is to get a part. Safelite claims to be able to calibrate the eyesight system...insurance company says that they will allow dealer to do so if the Safelight system has problems. Longest wait I've ever had for a single part on any car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. There seems to be a lot of confusion on "DOT" marked parts and "original equipment equivalent" parts. Some parts are more "equal" than others I suppose.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It appears in California that the insurance company can give me a "bid" on what they say is original equipment equivalent parts and then I pay the additional costs if I will only accept original equipment parts but I stopped researching when State Farm agreed to the original subaru factory windshield through Safelight.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,886 Posts
Anecdotal (and not even related to cars, initially):

We had severe water damage in our bathroom from the condo above. We fixed it and were referred to their insurer, Mercury. We were sent a "release" that looked liked a release for an automobile accident (e.g. this is the full and final claim for the accident on XYZ). We refused to sign it and Mercury refused to pay. We replied, OK, we'll make a claim in small claims court and also claim for loss of use and enjoyment, etc. Miraculously, a check for the full amount of the repairs showed up in the mail with no release signed.

This is a highly simplified version but it illustrates how insurers try to bully claimants into signing things they shouldn't and avoiding paying for valid claims. It took a long time to even find a contractor willing to work on the bathroom, when we told them that Mercury was involved.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I just went to the Safelight web site just to see what it would cost, $1300 for windshield and $300 for the calibration. Holy crap $1600+ 8.25 sales tax.:jackie-chan-meme-sm

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
So I just went to the Safelight web site just to see what it would cost, $1300 for windshield and $300 for the calibration. Holy crap $1600+ 8.25 sales tax.:jackie-chan-meme-sm
Yikes, I guess we shouldn't be parking under pine trees, then...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anecdotal (and not even related to cars, initially):

We had severe water damage in our bathroom from the condo above. We fixed it and were referred to their insurer, Mercury. We were sent a "release" that looked liked a release for an automobile accident (e.g. this is the full and final claim for the accident on XYZ). We refused to sign it and Mercury refused to pay. We replied, OK, we'll make a claim in small claims court and also claim for loss of use and enjoyment, etc. Miraculously, a check for the full amount of the repairs showed up in the mail with no release signed.

This is a highly simplified version but it illustrates how insurers try to bully claimants into signing things they shouldn't and avoiding paying for valid claims. It took a long time to even find a contractor willing to work on the bathroom, when we told them that Mercury was involved.
Thanks! Good idea to not cave at first offer.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sobering. State Farm claims that Subaru charges 2K for the exact same work...when I got to Safelite the folks there said that Subaru simply takes your money and gives them the car. Safelite uses Subaru OEM windshield, does the install and calibration according to them. I contacted Subaru Corporate and they concurred that Safelite does the windshields of some Subaru Dealers. Much smarter, as other folks have mentioned here not to accept any offer, demand OEM glass and get it done at Safelite if Subaru trusts their ability to calibrate.

I plan to be nicer to squirrels as well.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts