Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I just joined here because I'm having an issue with the starter in my wife's Crosstrek and I'd like to know how common the issue is.

The problem is the starter is freewheeling (spinning but not engaging) and not starting the car. There is a a part call an "over run clutch" that is basically a roller bearing that locks when the starter turns, and spins freely when the engine is running. It is worn out and spins both directions. A new started at cost is CA$720. They don't sell starter parts just the whole unit. This has happened to my brothers 2018 Impreza as well. The starter in the 2018 has been superseded by a new part so I assume they have fixed the issue in newer cars.

anyone else had to replace their starter?

I'm collecting info to take on Subaru Canada because they don't want to give me a goodwill repair. The car is 6 months over the 3y6/60k bumoer to bumber, but only has 55k km on it.

And please no well meaning "have you tried this..." responses, I have scoured the catalog for parts, ordered a used part from a wrecker and even looked into sourcing the roller bearing myself.

thanks

Pete

·
Registered
525 Posts
Did you try your dealership? Try working out a split on the cost? The reason I ask is that I had a prop shaft replaced on our outback only to have it fail less than a year later. The dealership would not cover it under new part warranty because I had put too many km on the car/part. I called SCI and we worked a deal where the cost was split 1/3 between all of us…dealership, SCI, and me. Best part was a number of weeks later I was driving home from work and I got a call out of the blue from SCI telling me they were going to send me $300.00 in Subaru repair $$$ Visa cards. Win win. Try a little negotiation with them.

Reactions: Raleighmclemore

·
Registered
672 Posts
My MY18 is coming up 50k km and no sign of this issue. If I was you I'd be very firm with SC as this has to be an unexpected part failure. I can't remember anyone here mentioning a starter failure...and certainly not at such a low KM. The only reason parts fail early in today's cars is a manufacturing fault. A starter should last for 100s of k km. A used starter from a wrecker from a Subaru that hit a tree would certainly be more economical than one from a stealership.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I been follwong this forum and a couple Crostrek FB ones and you're the first starter failure I have heard of.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I'm happy to hear none of the rest of you have had a problem. It's possible I just got unlucky, but I think that there must have been a problem as there is an updated starter. I wonder how many cars got the one I have? I'll keep listening and see if anyone else chimes in. Thanks

·
Registered
2021 Ice SIlver Sport
1,399 Posts
Do you have any Starter / Alternator repair shops in your area? You can buy a remanufactured starter or get yours repaired. Subaru does sell starter parts for your car. Here is a breakdown. I assume you are talking about the SFT Set Clutch?

You could confirm with Benny. He is in the vendor forum on here and a Subaru supporting dealer.

·
Registered
836 Posts
We ended up having battery issues which would give a "no start" issue on a MY18. After having upgraded the garbage factory battery(too weak) to an AGM type(50%+ more CCA over stock, NAPA) all of this went away. I'd check the battery along with the flywheel teeth to see if there is any damage from the starter partially engaging. Weak batteries have a way of taking out starters and alternators.
regards

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Subyrubyroo, the part i need does not have a part # on that diagram, but I missed that the whole assembly can be purchased. Thanks for pointing that out. it is the SFT set clutch. FYI this is the part need, there is a roller bearing that has worn out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

This is the bearing, the cylinders are worn, they are no longer round so the clutch bearing no longer works. The cylinders were made from steel that is too soft.
I've got a starter coming from a wrecker, my cost will be $85, but I'm going to source the bearings and fix this one.

·
Registered
2021 Ice SIlver Sport
1,399 Posts
This is the bearing, the cylinders are worn, they are no longer round so the clutch bearing no longer works. The cylinders were made from steel that is too soft.

I've got a starter coming from a wrecker, my cost will be $85, but I'm going to source the bearings and fix this one.
Are you talking about the rollers? They look like dowel pins and are probably made softer so they don't destroy the form in the housing. You can buy dowel pins in all the standard inch and metric sizes but have no idea if the hardness would be correct. I'd probably buy the assembly. It can be had for $26-27 US.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm kinda late to the party but my starter had to be replaced right around 45000 miles. Thankfully we had bought the extended warranty so after some pushing to get the guys to even look at it because they were "booked solid" they agreed it was the starter. Literally I drove it there and told them they had to come listen to it as they didn't believe me at first.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So the rollers are the interface between the starter motor shaft and the gear than turns the flywheel. If they wear out the starter doesn't work. I replaced those cylindrical rollers (they are hardened because they are bearings) with new ones and it works like new. Total cost of new rolllers - $2 and a couple of hours to tear down the starter and rebuild it instead of $1170. If anyones starter fails by freewheeling, DO NOT pay for a new one . IMO subaru should be replacing these for free, but I had no luck when I talked to my dealer or Subaru Canada. They just said "sorry, no". I will be contacting Subaru with the details of what I did. Hopefully it helps someone in the future. Here's a pic of my neighbour grinding down a roller because the new ones where 1mm too long.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine went out the same way, was having trouble starting for a few months prior but I assumed battery. One day it just sits there and spins, battery checked out fine. Car had 38k miles but I paid for 100k warranty so it was covered. Dealership told me
It wasn’t common but also had a hard time getting a new one.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts