Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it improve my mileage to remove my crossbars when I'm not using them. It's a new car and I don't even know if that is something easily done and worth the trouble.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like to take them off if I'm not throwing stuff up there regularly. If they're the stock bars, it's as easy as unscrewing 4 bolts and you should have received the torx screwdriver with the bars.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
956 Posts
Hey Richard, he has a valid point... https://www.wikihow.com/Increase-Fuel-Mileage-on-a-Car
Check #5. ;)

On a related note, I used to know a few serious drag-racers. When running in the national competitions, they would remove every bit of weight from the car they could to cut their times and increase the speeds. Seats, spare tires, jack, sound-deadening and even replace windows with plexiglass panels.
I found it somewhat amusing they did all that, but were "significantly" overweight themselves... ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Removing the OEM crossbars will have a negligible impact on fuel economy. I have the Yakima Railbars, (old Whispbars), which actually sit more flush than the OEM bars. In multiple refill cycles with them on or off, it was literally like the equivalent of 1/2-1 mpg (like 27.0 vs 28.0) per tank.

Add a fairing, it’s much, much worse.

On my 2008 Outback, with the Yakima Lowriders, round bars and fairing, it was a 3-4 mpg hit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I have been wondering if it is better (aerodynamically) if mounting a bike on the roof is better facing forward or backward.
This is in reference to fork mount systems.

·
Registered
248 Posts
It's not the weight of the crossbars but the loss of aerodynamics that effects the gas mileage. Much like the lack of humor in your sarcasm affecting the performance of your post.
I thought it was pretty funny...tongue in cheek of course...

Reactions: AstroKats

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,712 Posts
I have been wondering if it is better (aerodynamically) if mounting a bike on the roof is better facing forward or backward.
This is in reference to fork mount systems.
Just a guess but probably forwards because of the saddle. With a fork mount, the bike will be pitched down a little, so the saddle will be facing forwards and down with the smooth part on top interacting with the flow of air. Backwards the back of the saddle will be pitched up with the underside acting like a mini parachute.

Reactions: Seattle

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I Think you are right astro.

·
Registered
6 Posts
probably not to any quantifiable amount. But in theory yes. I take mine off when not in use, but that's because they are 2x4's :D

·
Registered
648 Posts
I would think with the handlebars forward the wind-loading would be greater than the savings from the seat facing forward. With the handlebars facing rearward, the loading would be less because of the turbulence.

artosa

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,712 Posts
I would think with the handlebars forward the wind-loading would be greater than the savings from the seat facing forward. With the handlebars facing rearward, the loading would be less because of the turbulence.

artosa
Possibly. Anyone got a wind tunnel we can borrow? :D

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Definitely it will help to save the fuel but it only very little amount, it perhaps save more fuel by disciplining your feet for controlling the accelleration
After 5200 miles there is no doubt that changing how I handle the accelerator is the greatest factor in my economy. If I drive it like my Corolla, rapid starts and stops, I lose about 4 mpg, sometimes more. I don't think I'll bother removing them. Thanks.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Possibly. Anyone got a wind tunnel we can borrow? :D
I pulled them and went to the nearest, long, steep downhill section. In the three miles of coasting down that hill in neutral, with and without the crossbars, the mileage wasn't affected enough to overcome variables like wind. The Crosstrek coasted about the same speed. Not really scientific, but enough to figure the effort isn't worth it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts