Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

2018 Crosstrek ON THE DYNO!

Model Years 2018 to 2023 
37K views 72 replies 26 participants last post by  stupidchicken03 
#1 · (Edited)
So we decided to do some testing.

We were curious as to how much power the Crosstrek is really making. We were also curious as to how much "power loss" there is, if any, with the beefier Method/KO2 setup.

Im not going to post the results right away. There will be a video coming out with all the info hopefully soon on my buddy Blake's YT ch.
But, I want you all to guess how the car did, and what difference (if any) the wheels made!
I will update post #2 with the results once the video is out.

2018 Crosstrek (Premium model)
6-speed manual transmission
10,5XX miles on the car

Mustang Dyno
fully calibrated - same dyno Snail Performance uses for tuning

Subaru lists 152hp at the crank

OEM wheels/tires:
225/60/17

Method 502/BFG KO2
235/75/15

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Crossover suv
Vehicle Car Automotive tire Bumper Tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Roof rack Bumper
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Take your best guesses!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:
Results are now posted in post number 2 below!!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Time for what everyone has been waiting for!

Results are in, and they were surprising!

Stock wheels/tires put down.... 141whp/131wtq

Methods with KO2s put down... 127whp/122wtq

There was a loss of about 14 whp and about 9 wtq

THAT IS CRAZY! This could mean a combination of things...

1) Subaru UNDERRATES the engine like crazy
B) Subaru has figured out AWD components that work amazing together with little drivetrain loss
#) Combination of both?

Here is the Dyno chart. Stock wheels/tires are the solid line and dotted is with Methods/KO2s.

Text Line Font Parallel Pattern

Cell phone shot straight off the screen

What's awesome about this is that it shows the Crosstrek has damn near peak torque EVERYWHERE. Power increased through the entire range as well.

Needless to say, we were all super surprised! The fact that it put that much down to start was amazing and the fact that the aftermarket wheels/tires ate up that many pony points. All and all, it was a fun experiment!

Here's the video!

#18 ·
Just a guess. The Method 501/Yoko Geo AT/S combo on my car is noticeably lighter than the stock wheel/tire combo.
What size tire are you running?

Since mine are larger than stock, they do weight more.

If you know and not going to post what's the point
Ill be posting up results as soon as the video drops!

He posted his video from him BMW E30 results today, so im hoping mine will be soon! :)

#10 ·
We also weighed one of the OEM and one of the methods.

I compared a number for OEM I found online to me weighing a method with an old bathroom scale. So not too sure how accurate either of those numbers were.

Unfortunately I dont remember what the numbers were, but they should be in the video lol. :( :p

#33 ·
We also weighed one of the OEM and one of the methods.

I compared a number for OEM I found online to me weighing a method with an old bathroom scale. So not too sure how accurate either of those numbers were.

Unfortunately I dont remember what the numbers were, but they should be in the video lol. :( :p
Stock wheels: 51 lbs 8 oz

Tires, Wheels: 15” Methods 502s are a little over 19 lbs - LT235/75/15 K02s are 36 lbs

#26 ·
Nice discussion, but kinda goofy. If I cared I wouldn't have bought a vehicle with a theoretical maximum HP of around 150(ish). I dont give much thought to the HP, torque, CVT output or other performance issues unless there was a real problem. Not really pertinent to this vehicle, IMO. :blink::blink:

#27 ·
I dont care about the power either, per se. More curiosity than anything, and people have wondered.

I bought this car knowing it is low on power and that's not an issue being its my daily driver and weekend off-roads for fun car.

If I want to driving something quick, ill take my big turbo STi out ;)

#41 ·
^ Yup not horrible. Im sure the 215s weigh a bit less.. so less rotational mass to get going.

Well to be fair to Method... I think rim for rim the Method is lighter than OEM.. its the tire that weighs a lot more.
Very interesting, thanks for doing the test and posting. Am surprised though that you lose that much with the A/T wheels/tires. I have the 17" KO2s on mine, so would guess my hp loss would be even more.

I think I saw that you hit about 6100 max rpm on the dyno. Is that peak hp? I notice in the specs on the Subaru website they say 152 at 6000. And on the car tach, it shows redline at 6300. Is there any more hp available to 6300, or does it flat line at 6000?

And I wonder what the diff would be with a CVT Crosstrek?
CVT comparison would be interesting!

What size sidewall are you running on the 17s? I would think they might be about the same or maybe lighter? Ive got a huge sidewall since im on the 15s.

The power kept going! He thinks if it went over redline the graph would continue up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.