Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I like to install an interior DC Power Fuse Distribution Strip Module to power accessories (e.g. LED Lighting, DashCam, other options as they come).

To begin, at the Main Fuse Box inside the engine compartment, utilization of an empty slot is desired:
Musical instrument accessory Audio equipment Technology Electronic device Machine

Firstly, an empty fuse slot will need to be fitted with a 14-18g wire per specifications:
Font Rectangle Pattern Parallel Symmetry

Ideally, drawing from an ACC fuse bracket, to be determined with a micrometer at a maximum output of 30A. Difficulties arise with the fitting of the wire to the empty slot. Assistance with the addition of wiring head (crosstrek specific) is required. Please provide insight if any is known.

Caution with the selection of an empty slot is warranted, presumably due to the possibility of capacity limitations within the constructs of the pre-existing power draws.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Upon establishment of a wire integrated into the engine compartments Main Fuse Box via an empty tapped bracket, the wire will then be guided into the cabin and fed to power the DC Power Fuse Distribution Strip Module; limited to a maximum draw of 30A:
Circuit component Font Electronic component Rectangle Electronic device

Achieving the installation of this Interior Distribution Fuse Block will then allow for accessory modifications to be installed via switch connection plates:
Watch Clock Rectangle Automotive lighting Font

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reference to this gentlemen’s Main Fuse addition can be observed to conceptualize selection of hardware in modern automotive’s. Again, trouble with installation of a fuse-line at empty terminal within the engine compartments Main Fuse Box is observed and assistance is sought (e.g. product specification to achieve lead installation).

Reference:

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Outdoor - "Trekov"
148 Posts
Reactions: rsawicky1

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Though it will be more money, why not go with a wireless power distribution center? No need to tap into existing fuse blocks or wiring harnesses.

Trigger 4 Plus Wireless Control System
This product looks appealing, yet my desires strictly adhere to a balance of aesthetics and functionality to which surmises the content of this thread.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I highly do not recommend any screw clamp style terminals, especially at 30A, in a car (or anywhere), without adding a ferrule. Bare stranded wire into screw terminal will eventually deform and come loose. When it comes loose, the resistance goes up, and could cause overheating or a fire, which a fuse will not save you from. There are much better wire-to-board connectors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I highly do not recommend any screw clamp style terminals, especially at 30A, in a car (or anywhere), without adding a ferrule. Bare stranded wire into screw terminal will eventually deform and come loose. When it comes loose, the resistance goes up, and could cause overheating or a fire, which a fuse will not save you from. There are much better wire-to-board connectors.
Agreed. There is an inherent risk with overheating from energy draw, shorting and much more when things are not completed to the satisfaction of the sciences; let alone professionally, I may add!

The connector I am hoping to find is that of a Wire Poke-In to the engine compartment Main Fuse box; specifically, at an empty terminal (underneath).

I would imagine it looks similar to something like this, below, with artistic attributes delineated by the manufactures of the Fuse Box, or at-least plausibly provided by Subaru themselves. Currently, I am looking into the matter of this provision by Subaru.
Font Auto part Household hardware Composite material Nickel

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interesting thread, I was thinking of doing something similar to this when I get my trek in January.

In the past when I was running a high-powered amp in my truck, I tapped directly off the battery with an amp rated fuse directly next to the battery. I thought this may be the best option to prevent mishaps.

Any ideas or past experiences would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2018 Premium MT
99 Posts
I have a similar setup on my motorcycle. It has a canbus system, so in order to add circuits, I added a PDM60 which is directly connected to the battery and triggered by an internal relay from a wire attached to keyed-on wire in the bike’s canbus system. There are other systems available that are directly powered from the battery and keyed on with the ignition. I would be more comfortable with something like that rather than trying to upgrade a cb slot to handle the added circuits. I agree with mrhengy about the fire risk.

Doug

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This provides practical information if the goal sought is for continous manipulation of accessories, with much regard to amperage variability; the direct-connect to a battery surely offers enhancement of options. A “fuse-tap” would provide sufficient coverage of my inquiry, absent of aesthetics and operability. The reasoning behind my desire to tap into the main fuse box is to achieve a condition of minor enhancement(s) at low draw (dash cam, a few lights, etc.) void of battery terminal surface area utilization and aesthetics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This provides practical information if the goal sought is for continous manipulation of accessories, with much regard to amperage variability; the direct-connect to a battery surely offers enhancement of options. A “fuse-tap” would provide sufficient coverage of my inquiry, absent of aesthetics and operability. The reasoning behind my desire to tap into the main fuse box is to achieve a condition of minor enhancement(s) at low draw (dash cam, a few lights, etc.) void of battery terminal surface area utilization and aesthetics.
Well, My experience with ham radios, stereos & amps or multimedia systems in vehicle's is to direct connect to the battery with a separate main fuse. Ny concern with "tapping" it off the stock fuse box, which it may not be designed to handle, is asking for trouble. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Agreed. Limitation capacities is an odd phenomena instilled in the masses, for which reasons exist. With capacity insight in circuitry mixed with the combination of common sense, a confident, informed and well educated decision may be made.

Can anyone tell me the name or specifications of the Wire Poke-In?

Subaru response is pending.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wire poke in?
That is correct. Wire Poke-In: “An instrument of sorts maintaining conductivity that facilitates access to the OEM Fuse Box backdoor.”

I can’t imagine another name that is more fitting! If you could share details to any other connector that facilitates Main Fuse tapping in modern day automotives, that is the quest of this thread, lad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
That is correct. Wire Poke-In: “An instrument of sorts maintaining conductivity that facilitates access to the OEM Fuse Box backdoor.”

I can’t imagine another name that is more fitting! If you could share details to any other connector that facilitates Main Fuse tapping in modern day automotives, that is the quest of this thread, lad.
Hearsay, there is a Wire Poke-in at the Bulkhead Terminal; unfortunately, this information is well protected by the proprietor.

^Legal implications can be surmised and justified on the basis of safety for the illiterate; this elicited on the absence of disclosure. Send swipes to the DM.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts