Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
After 1 mth, finally the B6 start to shine especially on 100-130 km/h speed. Now at that speed the drive feels like gliding even though a tiny less smooth compared to oem, but the change direction and stroke reserve is better than oe. The rebounce feels slower now so the ride feels less busy now compared when it was new. This also give advantage that I can increase the tire pressue up to 0.5 psi to maximise the grip without being too bouncy. The ride height also seems settle down a tiny bit and the car feels having plenty of grip now. So seems it takes a while for the shock to settle down, and hopefully will outlast the OE.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've got the Bilstein B6s on my 2019. The build quality and performance of the B6s is top notch as expected as I have used the B6s on other vehicles that I've owned over the years.

Background on the car. I swapped out the OEM suspension for the B6s and RS-R springs with 15K miles on the clock. All the additional components such as top hats, bumpstops, bearings, insulators and dust covers for the struts & shocks assembly are new from Subaru and Bilstein. I don't go off road with the Crosstrek. I just want to be able to hop curbs, rally cross, and deal with the terrible road condition in my city. I am currently on Falken Wildpeak 225/65/17.

Compression is aggressive, much more aggressive than the OEM struts. You will feel road turtles and lane reflectors changing lanes. At the same time they will soak up pretty much anything you can throw at it as I have hopped curbs, doing donuts in uneven dirt fields and outright driving the car hard over street gutters, potholes and general crappy roads. Overall, I would definitely get these again. The change is very confidence inspiring comparing to the boat like feels of the OEM suspension in terms of cornering ability with on and off-ramps as well as tight cornering.

I would not recommend these if you're transporting your elderly and folks that are not accustomed to aggressive suspension as they are much more aggressive than the OEM counterpart. This may be due to me using the RS-R springs in conjunction. However, if you are looking to get rid of the boat like feels then these would be perfect as they provide a great sense of control over dips, potholes, and road imperfections.

Disclaimer. I wrote this having owned Koni Yellow, Koni 8611, Tein, and various other type of shocks and coilovers and race springs combos. I also don't care much about OEM comfort for the Crosstrek so please take it for what it is worth.

Happy Trekking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After 1 mth, finally the B6 start to shine especially on 100-130 km/h speed. Now at that speed the drive feels like gliding even though a tiny less smooth compared to oem, but the change direction and stroke reserve is better than oe. The rebounce feels slower now so the ride feels less busy now compared when it was new. This also give advantage that I can increase the tire pressue up to 0.5 psi to maximise the grip without being too bouncy. The ride height also seems settle down a tiny bit and the car feels having plenty of grip now. So seems it takes a while for the shock to settle down, and hopefully will outlast the OE.
Can you share the part no of Bilstein B6 you used?
Is it the same abs for XV GP?

·
Registered
47 Posts
2021 Limited.
I purchased mine from RalliTEK as a Strut/Spring Combo Front & Rear.
Significant difference in ride quality from stock.
I can't say enough about them. Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire Car Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Coil Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Light Tool Engineering Coil spring Technology Suspension Coil spring Flag Automotive tire Electrical wiring Shock absorber

·
Registered
800 Posts
The OE shocks is very compliant and response slower on the struts travel velocity, and it does not damp well enough under heavy load. When it is new, it is very well controlled damping, and when it ages tends to lose damping and becomes very bouncy.
The B6 is much more sensitive on travel velocity change, especially the front will maintain the car height better. When it is new it feels very soft, and progressively way harder when it ages and you may feel every small imperfections on the road. Personally I think B6 is best for OE size or slightly thicker tires if you still want comfort. However, B6 seems lasts longer than OE struts.
Some people will refer OE character is street/semi-sport and B6 is sport/off-road.

·
Super-Duper Moderator
1,091 Posts
BTW, their B4 series would be an OEM equivalent, with Bilstein heritage of course...

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Sport CWP
1 Posts
I'm a little late to the party, but I just had some Bilstein B6 struts installed yesterday at Rallitek in Portland. Driven ~50miles since then and can give a few observations, but before I do, some context is needed:

What was I running before?
Originally, I had been running the Primitive Racing lift w/ King springs. On the 21 Crosstrek, it's something like a 1.25in lift from the springs. I was using my OEM struts that came with the car. I'm also running the car at 34psi on all four tires FYI. For those who don't know, the Kings are a very stiff spring, significantly more than stock. I also run 17in OEM sizing A/S Michelin CrossClimate2s for tire reference. I also carry about ~150lbs in the trunk at all times.

What did I upgrade to B6?
Heard a lot of people (spoke w/ primitive and Rallitek also) say that the Bilstein are a much better aftermarket strut. Also that the King springs are too stiff for the OEM struts causing them to bottom out .

Initial thoughts (w/ ~50mi so far)
The ride definitely got more harsh on the drive home from Rallitek (remember I also have the King Springs installed, so if you have OEM springs it'll be a completely different feel than what I have). I've heard some say that you need to give it a couple hundred miles to help the strut gaskets seat with the weight before it fully settles in, IDK if I fully believe that but TBD. Huge improvement in handling though, car definitely feels more zippy on fast corners which is a plus for me. I'll report back once I've tried them on washboard type forest roads at speed (~25mph) along with some moderate off roading at Brown's Camp in the Tillamook Forest. Literally feels like there is no more body roll on the car whatsoever.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Grille

21 - 29 of 29 Posts