Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking for some reviews/feedback regarding the Bilstein B6s.
Is the ride way better for street/Offroad if so how so.
Can you describe the differences to help educate others?

Right now I’m looking for a smoother ride I’ve noticed some parts of the I17 are bouncy with my set up and I’m running 15 inch rims with standard load tires at factory diameter at 33 psi. Other than that my ride with the oem suspension is alright.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,712 Posts
Lots of threads here already. Try the search feature...

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,712 Posts
There are not I’m specifically asking for 2018+ Crosstrek’s to chime in.
You're right. My apologies. I see now that all the previous threads are prior to MY18...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am under the impression that Blistein doesn’t offer anything for the 018+ Treks from the research I‘ve done? They don’t list anything on there site either. Just curious if you have seen any evidence of anyone running them on a 18+? I‘m a Blistein believe & have ran them for years on my trucks so would be interested in them for the Trek also. Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was wrong. Just check Blisteins site again last time I tried using 2020 for the year it said unavailable but now they are listed. Must have updated their site! I wonder if they are compatible with the Rallitek springs? Ralliteks site says their springs are compatible with O.E or KYB struts doesn’t say anything about these. Figured if going to swap struts might as well do springs as well. If you end up going with the Blisteins let us know how you like them. Thanks

·
Registered
495 Posts
Too bad my B6 is still inside my storage, has not got time to install since many workshop is closed due to pandemic. I also have the rear B4 as well, the lesson learned so far is Crosstrek is very picky with tire pressure.

·
Registered
123 Posts
@EvilMonkey

I have B6's on my Forester XT. (I know different ball of yarn)

Going from OEM Showa struts to the B6's have been pure joy. I'm using Swift Springs, lowered ~1.6" F/R

Everything is nice and tight, sometimes on the firm side, but the shocks are still breaking in, even after a couple of months limited usage.

With OEM or Rallitek springs the B6's would be just as happy in your Crosstrek.

I have yet to find the bumpstops after installing these. Driving in the same manner, I was finding them quite often on the OEM struts @92k miles... Especially the rears.

On my `01 RS I had Bilstein B6's & Eibach springs (Prodrive P1 kit) on it for many years. Best suspension combo I ever had...

Been waiting for years for them to release these stateside for us...

If you were driving a Legacy, I'd recommend the B4 series... Which is their OEM equivalent valved struts.

C.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I asked Rallitek about their springs & these struts for three 18+ Treks this was their response
in case anybody wants to know.
HI ,​
Hello,

Thanks for contacting us!

Yes our springs are compatible with those struts and work very well.

Regards,
Dallin Richards
RalliTEK Support
503 619 0055

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey @EvilMonkey,

I was just going to post their response haha yes the B6's will be compatible with their springs I was thinking about buying the B6s from them for a neat little pandemic project.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@EvilMonkey

I have B6's on my Forester XT. (I know different ball of yarn)

Going from OEM Showa struts to the B6's have been pure joy. I'm using Swift Springs, lowered ~1.6" F/R

Everything is nice and tight, sometimes on the firm side, but the shocks are still breaking in, even after a couple of months limited usage.

With OEM or Rallitek springs the B6's would be just as happy in your Crosstrek.

I have yet to find the bumpstops after installing these. Driving in the same manner, I was finding them quite often on the OEM struts @92k miles... Especially the rears.

On my `01 RS I had Bilstein B6's & Eibach springs (Prodrive P1 kit) on it for many years. Best suspension combo I ever had...

Been waiting for years for them to release these stateside for us...

If you were driving a Legacy, I'd recommend the B4 series... Which is their OEM equivalent valved struts.

C.

Thanks for the input! They do have the B6's at Rallitek in stock!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Finally installed the B6 on 18 crosstrek with stock spring after can not stand the rocking left right with aging shock absorber. First feeling the b6 really carry their designation, feels soft and not harsh, matching with 235/50R18 tyre I use. Feel less harsh when hitting metal road joints. The only feeling I miss is when the OE Showa was new, it actually damp rebound very well in big car characteristic, but when the shock is worn, it did not resist compression on small oscillation and suddenly try very hard to stop the rebound, so it feels like too much dampening. With B6 i can say the ride is more like audi which the car feels very nimble and the rebound dampening does not feel as strong as OE, so the car feel more agile. This is first day so may be will see if there is much change after one month.

·
Registered
275 Posts
just wondering, but do the B6's for the 2018+ have multiple spring perch locations? Some older ones I've installed have had a higher/lower seat location to get slight height differences.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally installed the B6 on 18 crosstrek with stock spring after can not stand the rocking left right with aging shock absorber. First feeling the b6 really carry their designation, feels soft and not harsh, matching with 235/50R18 tyre I use. Feel less harsh when hitting metal road joints. The only feeling I miss is when the OE Showa was new, it actually damp rebound very well in big car characteristic, but when the shock is worn, it did not resist xompression on small oscillation and suddenly try very hard to stop the rebound, iso it feels like to much dampening. With B6 i can say the ride is more like audi which the car feels very nimble and the rebound dampening does not feel as strong as OE, so the car feel more agile. This is first day so may be will see if there is much change after one month.
Thanks for the input kr_xv!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Just to give additional observation on b6 after two weeks and countless tire pressure adjustment, high speed cornering and relax highway driving, here is my conclusion, this bilstein b6 is totally different characteristic with OE Showa. For B6 to have very smooth ride I need to lower my tire pressure into borderline underinflated due to the shocks rebound control is weak but compression control on high speed is strong. The problem is with that pressure, I lose the rear grip during high speed cornering which can be fixed by adding 10 kpa into rear tire.
When 1 add 10 kpa, the ride will be quite bouncy if the road is not smooth.
With the less rebound damping definitely the suspension is slightly more agile during cornering but it lose the traction on the extreme end.
So b6 is not a bad shocks because it maintain height very well, but compared to Koni street or OE Showa I find the ride quality 9is less satisfying, the OE give the big car smooth damping over bump and extreme cornering, and b6 ride i fine is just too busy compared with OE.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to give additional observation on b6 after two weeks and countless tire pressure adjustment, high speed cornering and relax highway driving, here is my conclusion, this bilstein b6 is totally different characteristic with OE Showa. For B6 to have very smooth ride I need to lower my tire pressure into borderline underinflated due to the shocks rebound control is weak but compression control on high speed is strong. The problem is with that pressure, I lose the rear grip during high speed cornering which can be fixed by adding 10 kpa into rear tire.
When 1 add 10 kpa, the ride will be quite bouncy if the road is not smooth.
With the less rebound damping definitely the suspension is slightly more agile during cornering but it lose the traction on the extreme end.
So b6 is not a bad shocks because it maintain height very well, but compared to Koni street or OE Showa I find the ride quality 9is less satisfying, the OE give the big car smooth damping over bump and extreme cornering, and b6 ride i fine is just too busy compared with OE.
thanks for the update @kr_xv I know that bilsteins typically use digressive valving from my experiences. Have you had the opportunity to take it offroad yet?

·
Registered
56 Posts
thanks from me too, the B6 are out of the competition now…. maybe i just stay with the stocks and let it go slowly...

·
Registered
495 Posts
thanks for the update @kr_xv I know that bilsteins typically use digressive valving from my experiences. Have you had the opportunity to take it offroad yet?
With this lockdown I have no chance to bring off road, but i predict it may give better comfort compared than oe for low speed. The big difference from b6 and oe is the capabilities to absorb dips on high speed, oe did it elegantly like big car but b6 did with quite a big shock

1 - 20 of 20 Posts