Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased a 2017 Crosstrek from an online dealer. It came with one key , a valet key is what I call it. It will unlock the car but the alarm comes on. I ordered two FOB’s from a locksmith and he was able to program one FOB. He said the car has the limit of programmable keys , and or FOB’s since there was other FOB’s already in play from the previous owner.. I was wondering if that is true or is he feeding me a line..

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
337 Posts
I don't know about the 2017 model, but the 2020 model has a limit of four keys/FOBs that can be programmed into the system. That said, with you having only one, there are three other keys / FOBs running around that you should probably eliminate. The procedure in the owners manual says to see the dealer to disable all of them; then program in the ones that YOU have. I suppose that a locksmith could do this too.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know about the 2017 model, but the 2020 model has a limit of four keys/FOBs that can be programmed into the system. That said, with you having only one, there are three other keys / FOBs running around that you should probably eliminate. The procedure in the owners manual says to see the dealer to disable all of them; then program in the ones that YOU have. I suppose that a locksmith could do this too.
Good luck.
Thank you for the info. I figured he was probably above board . I will proceed back to the locksmith and everything wiped and start fresh ..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts