Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

My wife drives our Crosstrek, and her favorite option is the heated seats. She uses them here in MN almost year round, if it is under 80 degrees, she keeps them on!

Just this past month she noticed that the drivers seat does not work in the "HI" position. The light on the switch still illuminates, but there is not warming of the seat. It does work in the "LOW" setting, but that will not be enough during the cold winter.

Does anyone have any ideas about what the issue could be between a "low & hi" setting.
I did call the dealer, and they mentioned it would be about $150 to look at it.....and tell me the cost to repair from that point.
I am hoping to check off the easy things first.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
881 Posts
Have you checked the fuses?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not checked the fuses because it doesn't seem to be a fuse issue:
• The light on the switch is "ON" when in the high position. (but seat does not get warm)
• The switch works in the "low" position. (both the light and the heat)

I wouldn't think a fuse would be out in this situation....but I guess anything is possible. I will check it out.

Thanks for the idea. Any other ideas, or experiences similar to this?

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
881 Posts
Don't really know. It should be the same heating element for high and low. Just a different amperage running through them. Making me think that in some place there is an interuption in the power to the high element.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Bad thermostat in the seat bottom. You can usually ‘feel’ it, like a button toward the rear of the seat bottom.
On high, power is applied to the thermostat which is connected to both the back and bottom. The other side of the heat elements are grounded. So each element gets full power.Temperature regulated by that thermostat.
On low, power is applied to one end of the back, thru the connection to the bottom, then grounded. In essence, the elements are in Series and not temperature controlled.
I have seen these button thermostats go bad on many vehicles. Only fix is to replace lower element. Upholstery repair shops can do this.
3 options, live with it, pay to repair it, or buy heating pad that plugs into accessory socket and sits on seat. I have seen all 3 options used by people I know.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I’d sooner first call a reputable upholstery shop, and see what they say before going to the dealership. Guaranteed they know what the problem and fix is. That’s my favorite feature also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts