Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting my valve body replaced on the CVT and need to find out the "relearn' procedure. Anyone know if this is the correct one for a 2015 XV crosstrek? I found it on an Outback forum:

Disconnect battery
Put foot on brake for 10 seconds (drain electrical system)
Reconnect battery
Turn ignition to "ON" position
Turn ignition "OFF"
Turn ignition "OFF"
Wait 15 seconds
Start car
Idle for 60 seconds
Drive for 30 minutes on light/moderate throttle

UPDATE: I talked with a Subaru service manager I befriended. He says it should be good to go and run fine with the new valve body but if it does throw dash lights, I would need to bring it in. He also learnt me on the CVT's. Subaru doesn't recommend CVT oil changes unless under rough conditions. He started doing 30k changes and has had no problems with them once he started doing that. The valve body is the first thing to go. It caused the transmission light to blink and throw a P971 code. This puts the transmission into limp mode. It feels like there is a brake on the transmission when the limp mode kicks in. This will continue to get worse until the valve body is changed out. Typically valve body failure is about 80k - 90k on original oil. Subaru has extended to 6 year/100k on the CVT because of this. I had my oil changed twice in 100k but alas, my valve body is done at 101k. I am EXTREME though on my CVT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Getting my valve body replaced on the CVT and need to find out the "relearn' procedure. Anyone know if this is the correct one for a 2015 XV crosstrek? I found it on an Outback forum:

Disconnect battery
Put foot on brake for 10 seconds (drain electrical system)
Reconnect battery
Turn ignition "OFF"
Turn ignition "OFF"
Wait 15 seconds
Start car
Idle for 60 seconds
Drive for 30 minutes on light/moderate throttle

UPDATE: I talked with a Subaru service manager I befriended. He says it should be good to go and run fine with the new valve body but if it does throw dash lights, I would need to bring it in. He also learnt me on the CVT's. Subaru doesn't recommend CVT oil changes unless under rough conditions. He started doing 30k changes and has had no problems with them once he started doing that. The valve body is the first thing to go. It caused the transmission light to blink and throw a P971 code. This puts the transmission into limp mode. It feels like there is a brake on the transmission when the limp mode kicks in. This will continue to get worse until the valve body is changed out. Typically valve body failure is about 80k - 90k on original oil. Subaru has extended to 6 year/100k on the CVT because of this. I had my oil changed twice in 100k but alas, my valve body is done at 101k. I am EXTREME though on my CVT.
Did Subaru take care of it or we're you out of pocket on the repair? Also, how much was the part?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did Subaru take care of it or we're you out of pocket on the repair? Also, how much was the part?
They took $500 off the cost for me I was $1400 and change out the door for a part that they know has a problem. I guess that’s just the way it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It turned out that the valve body I bought had a bad solenoid also. I was able to swap in another good solenoid and then I didn't need to do the relearn. Note for others who find this post, Subaru service guy said they have several with wiring harnesses that are bad. I suspect he was talking about the short harness that goes thru the transmission cover. Mine tested fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts