Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I was browsing cars101 (2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek research webpage- Premium, Limited, Hybrid, Hybrid Touring) and I see that the 2015 gest a new remote for the keyless entry/remote start.
Now we all know the 2014 remtoe starter rage is terrible for the keyless entry model since it doesn't have an antenna.
What about this one ? Anyone with a 2015 that has the remote starter and keyless entry is welcome to share the range :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I picked up my 2015 Limited with keyless entry and push button start 3 days ago and it has remote start with the new key fob.
Terrible is an understatement, IT SUCKS!!!! It will not start the car from inside my house unless i go to the window where the car is parked right outside. I have a clear line of sight to the car from the door next to my office and the car will not start ( Approx 75 - 100 ft away). I have to go outside the door and walk to within 50 ft before the car will start. Kind of defeats the purpose of having it! I have to go back to the dealer to get my back ordered side moldings put on and for them to fix a scratch they put in while prepping the car for me to pick it up so I will have them look at it then, and if they can't correct the problem I will have them take it out!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what screwed us (as I mentioned in another post) is the keyless/smart key system. Without it the remote starter comes with it's own long range remote:
http://pictures.dealer.com/p/papesubarusne/1844/b1a9ae644046387200489c42deeb595c.jpg

What I'm trying to understand (and I don't really see why not) is if we could program the unlock command to this remote with the antenna that would enable us to have the amazing ~400ft range.
Let me know if you figure something out !

·
Registered
515 Posts
Remote start with push button range is about 40' according to the dealer and Subaru. Remote start with key start is 400'. Buy a car with key start, and get the super range. 2 different systems with 2 different antennae. The key start has an extra fob. I'd rather have one fob.
I ordered remote start and push button, and a block heater. Plug it in, start it while walking towards it is my plan.I never warm my car up more than 60 seconds anyway. Remote start is mostly to get the ac going in the summer before I get in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The high temp yesterday was 11 degrees here . Who wants to sit in a cold car with cold leather seats? Thats why we spend the extra $400 for remote start. 40 feet is unacceptable! If I had know the range was cut down from 400 feet to 40 feet because of the push button start/ keyless entry i never would have paid extra for their remote start. Seems like something they should disclose if that is true. I have also noticed that my car will not unlock from anything more than approx the same distance as the remote start. So it must be the new key fob thats the issue.

·
Registered
515 Posts
High temperature was 4 degrees here. Low was -14F. All my cars have leather seats, live outside the garage, and we don't warm them up. Chicago is tough for Sally. I'm fine with 40'.

·
Registered
228 Posts
40 feet is unacceptable! If I had know the range was cut down from 400 feet to 40 feet because of the push button start/ keyless entry i never would have paid extra for their remote start. Seems like something they should disclose if that is true.
My sentiments exactly. This option was expensive, so the limited range combined with auto-stop of the engine when the door is opened makes it one of the biggest scams ever in my car-buying experience. I would have been less ripped-off getting the underbody coating.

The dealer failed to mention its limitations but of course they were happy to take my money.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I would go aftermarket. Cheaper, farther range and more features. Hybrids have been having the same issues. Look at a few old threads

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
like, for crying out loud, if other makes (chevy, for and others) can make a single fob for both the car entry and include a button to remote start while keeping the distance/range high, why can't subaru? and for the love of me, please add a small tiny diode to have a feedback from the car, so you know whether or not your car started...it's not a rocket science, just get on it. I'll pay you extra $100 just to get a good range, feedback and all-in-one-fob solution. Please...

·
Registered
640 Posts
You guys do realize the OEM alarm is not made by Subaru. It's a cheap add on that Subaru marks up and forwards to you. Just like the kicker add ons. That is why it's a separate key fob.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
You guys do realize the OEM alarm is not made by Subaru. It's a cheap add on that Subaru marks up and forwards to you. Just like the kicker add ons. That is why it's a separate key fob.
Well I guess that would explain a lot :/

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just had my Subaru dealer remove the remote start from my 2015 crosstrek limited. The thing sucked from day one. It would only start the car from about 50-75 feet away with clear unobstructed view. It was useless. After a few phone calls to the dealer and Subaru USA customer service they took it out and are sending me a check for the $511. I'll go buy one that works now!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does the 2015 remote start also shut the engine off when you unlock the door, like on the old models? Or does the engine stay on when you unlock the car after using remote start?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
You can unlock the doors with it running but it shut off as soon as you opened any of the doors.
Argh.... That is just silly

·
Registered
515 Posts
My 15 Limited is a week old now. Yep, 40' range with no obstructions. If anything is in the way, it doesn't work. That's the range for locking and unlocking, too. You cannot leave the car with the remote and the car running, and lock the car like my BMW. You can shut it off, start with the remote, then leave. When you get back: The door opens, and the car shuts off. Weird. Love the car. Remote distance is a weak feature. I'll keep the starter, but it's less than the standard of performance for the rest of the xv's features and options.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Also have poor range with my 2015 Limited with OEM remote start. Sometimes have better luck if I use the chin trick. Also seems to work better if I face the front of my car towards my building.
Still disappointing though. Also annoying that it turns off when I open the doors.

You can actually have it locked while running. If you open the door, then manually flip the lock switch, then close the door, it will be locked and running.
However, the behavior gets odd in that case too. You can't use the keyless entry or key fob unlock anymore. You have to take the physical key out of the fob and open it that way.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Also have poor range with my 2015 Limited with OEM remote start. Sometimes have better luck if I use the chin trick. Also seems to work better if I face the front of my car towards my building.
Still disappointing though. Also annoying that it turns off when I open the doors.

You can actually have it locked while running. If you open the door, then manually flip the lock switch, then close the door, it will be locked and running.
However, the behavior gets odd in that case too. You can't use the keyless entry or key fob unlock anymore. You have to take the physical key out of the fob and open it that way.
This is super bizarre and IMHO stupid behavior :/ oem remote is a bad choice :/

1 - 20 of 26 Posts