Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Crosstrek AC was going off and on. Took it to our local mechanic. Apparently the electrical windings related to the air conditioning compressor are part of a defective assembly. Cost to repair estimated at $1,600. Subaru posted an internal bulletin acknowledging the problem and recommending replacement of the unit. Contacted Subaru Customer Advocacy Dept and now I need to take it to a Subaru dealer for another diagnostic. I am hoping Subaru does right and straightens this out for we consumers.

·
Registered
486 Posts
You can buy just the clutch but not through Subaru. It was about $100 but may be less now. Several of us have changed them including myself. And yes, it is a known issue on most all Subarus for years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can buy just the clutch but not through Subaru. It was about $100 but may be less now. Several of us have changed them including myself. And yes, it is a known issue on most all Subarus for years.
Thank you for that important info!

·
Registered
486 Posts
If they do not take care of you and you need to buy the clutch, just be sure to get the correct one. The model number is on a plate on the compressor. Ebay or Amazon both sell the clutches. But there are several versions of clutches and the listings are kinda generic. So be sure it lists which model compressor the clutch kit fits. I found that some listings tend to say they fit the Crosstrek but are incorrect when you compare model numbers.

·
Registered
486 Posts
If you have a clutch issue, generally the AC will work fine till the pressures increase, then the clutch will slip thus leaving you without AC. Once the pressures drop and the clutch can grab again, you get the AC back for a short time, cycle repeat. I first noticed mine when it got very warm out, was like the AC could not keep up. No necessarily everyone's issue but there are literally hundreds of posts over the years on various forums that had the issue with the clutch on a Subaru.

I forgot to mention the first time that if it is indeed just the clutch slipping, you can fix that without any parts if yours is in good shape. There is a single bolt holding the outer part of the clutch on. You remove the bolt then the outer clutch plate comes off, no puller needed unlike some other Subarus. If you look on the outside of the splined shaft, there will be 2 shims. You can remove to adjust the air gap depending on how much you need. The air gap is the space between the outer clutch and the AC pulley. The gap should be between 016" and .025" but if toward the upper end, will most likely slip on a used clutch. I set mine toward the lower end and has worked like a champ. Just be sure the gap is large enough that it stops turning when you turn off the defrost or AC or you can cause all kind of trouble to the system.

If you attempt this, the belt does not need to come off as the pully is not being removed and is pressed onto the compressor housing. You're just removing the outer plate which is on the compressor shaft. It will spin so that may present a problem if you don't have tools. Do not attempt if you don't know what you are doing.

Lots of videos on Youtube. The only thing is ours comes off the shaft without a puller unlike older Subarus seen in most of the videos.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If they do not take care of you and you need to buy the clutch, just be sure to get the correct one. The model number is on a plate on the compressor. Ebay or Amazon both sell the clutches. But there are several versions of clutches and the listings are kinda generic. So be sure it lists which model compressor the clutch kit fits. I found that some listings tend to say they fit the Crosstrek but are incorrect when you compare model numbers.
Thank you so much for this information. I will!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts