Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! New crosstrek owner and new to the forum. I bought a 2015 Crosstrek about 5 months ago because I am going to college in Colorado and my RWD 2002 Mercedes was not the smart choice. Love the car so far, except for one big thing... the sound system. My 2002 Mercedes came with a Bose system that had nice speakers, an amp, and a small sub from the factory. You could turn that thing all the way up and have some decent bass while it still sounded crystal clear. The crosstrek is a huge step down from that and I would like to fix that. I am skilled with wiring and have no problem modifying things to fit together, but I do not have any idea how audio systems work. I looked at speakers and got immediately confused by component or 3-way, and what the wattage means for the speaker, etc. I just want some advice and what to get for the car. I plan on swapping out everything eventually, but I am not sure what to start with. New head unit then speakers? Speakers first? When to put an amp and sub in? Also I am working full time on top of full time (now online) college classes. But that means I am not really spending any money so my budget is not too restricted.

I know I want a nice touchscreen head unit that can have carplay and still use the back-up camera. As for speakers/tweeters/amp/sub, throw some combinations at me please, I don't know where to even start. I want something with good bass that still sounds good at high volume. I am no bass head but I appreciate quality audio.

Also I plan on stripping the interior and putting some sound proofing in this summer before driving 1600 miles back to Colorado. The road noise for two 12-hour driving days is unbearable, paired with a pretty trash sound system, makes the trip not as enjoyable as it could be.

p.s the car came with both rear door speakers blown I think (they just buzz a lot at any volume) so I am sure that also contributes to my hatred for the sound system, but I still want to upgrade haha

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hey guys! New crosstrek owner and new to the forum. I bought a 2015 Crosstrek about 5 months ago because I am going to college in Colorado and my RWD 2002 Mercedes was not the smart choice. Love the car so far, except for one big thing... the sound system. My 2002 Mercedes came with a Bose system that had nice speakers, an amp, and a small sub from the factory. You could turn that thing all the way up and have some decent bass while it still sounded crystal clear. The crosstrek is a huge step down from that and I would like to fix that. I am skilled with wiring and have no problem modifying things to fit together, but I do not have any idea how audio systems work. I looked at speakers and got immediately confused by component or 3-way, and what the wattage means for the speaker, etc. I just want some advice and what to get for the car. I plan on swapping out everything eventually, but I am not sure what to start with. New head unit then speakers? Speakers first? When to put an amp and sub in? Also I am working full time on top of full time (now online) college classes. But that means I am not really spending any money so my budget is not too restricted.

I know I want a nice touchscreen head unit that can have carplay and still use the back-up camera. As for speakers/tweeters/amp/sub, throw some combinations at me please, I don't know where to even start. I want something with good bass that still sounds good at high volume. I am no bass head but I appreciate quality audio.

Also I plan on stripping the interior and putting some sound proofing in this summer before driving 1600 miles back to Colorado. The road noise for two 12-hour driving days is unbearable, paired with a pretty trash sound system, makes the trip not as enjoyable as it could be.

p.s the car came with both rear door speakers blown I think (they just buzz a lot at any volume) so I am sure that also contributes to my hatred for the sound system, but I still want to upgrade haha

Thanks in advance!
The first Subaru that my wife bought was the 2015 Forester with the "upgraded" navigation radio. Like you, I was less than impressed by function, form, sound, well, pretty much everything about the audio system.

When she wanted to trade it in at a year old, primarily because of the sound system, I dropped about a grand changing it all out (myself) to a pioneer NEX head end with steering wheel control integration. The sound and phone integration was much better.

If you love the car, but hate the radio, I would highly recommend it. And you can do it yourself if you have the patience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts