Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have recently bought a 2015 Crosstrek, it has only 35,000 miles on it. My family and I took it on a road trip and it only got about 26.1 mpg on the highway and that was with cruise control on most of the way, I've heard that they avg about 30-34 mpg on the highway, so I'm not to happy about my results, does anyone have any advice? Regards T.C.

·
Registered
44 Posts
where are you located at? winter blend does give you lower mileage, also are you all high way travel or city driving.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
3,628 Posts
I also notice a very substantial MPG difference depending on my highway speed. My MPG is usually in the mid 30s if I'm cruising at 55, but driving at 80 might knock 10 MPG off that number ...

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,068 Posts
We're your tires properly inflated? Were you hauling anything on the roof rails?

·
Registered
2017 Desert Khaki | Sparco Terra's | Yokohama G015's | Sports Mesh Grill
65 Posts
Any headwind? I once drove from Denver to SLC (across Wyoming) through an insane headwind and barely averaged 22mpg. Normally I get 31 combined.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I also notice a very substantial MPG difference depending on my highway speed. My MPG is usually in the mid 30s if I'm cruising at 55, but driving at 80 might knock 10 MPG off that number ...
Ditto, crosstrek is very sensitive on non flat driving and much faster driving that will not hold 7th gear in optimum low rpm ard 2k

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello, I have recently bought a 2015 Crosstrek, it has only 35,000 miles on it. My family and I took it on a road trip and it only got about 26.1 mpg on the highway and that was with cruise control on most of the way, I've heard that they avg about 30-34 mpg on the highway, so I'm not to happy about my results, does anyone have any advice? Regards T.C.
I don’t think winter blend fuel explains much of anything related to your poor mpg. Our 2013 XV has never dipped below 30 mpg in New Hampshire winters since new.
Checking your tire pressure is very good advice. I like a slight over inflation when looking for best mpg.
Snow tires will slightly affect (negatively) mpg, as opposed to summer rubber.
Remove the roof rack cross bars unless absolutely needed.
Rain guards and an add-on hood chip guard will cost about 1 mpg. We have had them since new.
Check your air intake for dirty filter or an obstruction (mouse nest). Do this immediately.
Consider a different fuel vendor. Try this immediately.
Something is definitely wrong. If it doesn’t change, take it to an experienced Subaru mechanic and have the codes read. It might be a bad sensor.
Most likely, it is something very simple. Be not afraid. You picked a good car that should be getting more like 31 mpg combined in winter. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2014 XV Crosstrek Hybrid Touring
54 Posts
Driving my 2014 XV Crosstreck Hybrid Touring in Colorado for 26,500 miles, I have never gotten over 29 miles to the gallon.
The Hybrid is rated at 1 mile per gallon better than the standard engine.
I have been track of every fill up and mpg since purchasing it new in March 2015.
Going uphill on I-70 into the mountains I usually get only about 22 to 24 mpg.
I'm sure this is because I drive about 75mph most of the time even at 11,000 ft in altitude.
My normal around town mileage is in the 27mpg range.
The mpg calculations in the nav system tell a totally different and wrong figure for the mpg.
Never believe the mpg on the nav display. Total fiction.
Possibly if I was driving downhill to Kansas or Nebraska at 55mph I would get above 30mpg, but I don't think that is a speed I have driven since Nixon was in office.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don’t think winter blend fuel explains much of anything related to your poor mpg. Our 2013 XV has never dipped below 30 mpg in New Hampshire winters since new.
Checking your tire pressure is very good advice. I like a slight over inflation when looking for best mpg.
Rain guards and an add-on hood chip guard will cost about 1 mpg. We have had them since new.
Check your air intake for dirty filter or an obstruction (mouse nest). Do this immediately.
Something is definitely wrong. If it doesn’t change, take it to an experienced Subaru mechanic and have the codes read. It might be a bad sensor.
Most likely, it is something very simple. Be not afraid. You picked a good car that should be getting more like 31 mpg combined in winter. Enjoy.
My 2015 gets about 30 mpg on highway when just myself or with my wife. On a recent 7 hr trip with 4 people, bags, and bike rack mileage dropped by 35%. Big difference compared to my Hyundai Santa Fe that only loses <10% with extra weight. On the ride home I monitored mileage closely and noticed that as long as I maintained speed <70 mph then was able to only have slight drop in MPG. Great when not having to haul a lot of extra weight, but when you do keep speed down and it won’t be as bad. If you get over 75mph then don’t expect great mileage but have a fun trip!

·
Registered
26 Posts
how can winter blend fuel not relate to a decrease in mpg?

Winter-blend fuel has a higher RVP because the fuel must be able to evaporate at low temperatures for the engine to operate properly, especially when the engine is cold. If the RVP is too low on a frigid day, the vehicle will be hard to start and once started, will run rough.
Summer-blend gasoline has a lower RVP to prevent excessive evaporation when outside temperatures rise. Reducing the volatility of summer gas decreases emissions that can contribute to unhealthy ozone and smog levels. A lower RVP also helps prevent drivability problems such as vapor lock on hot days, especially in older vehicles.
The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says conventional summer-blend gasoline contains 1.7 percent more energy than winter-blend gas, which is one reason why gas mileage is slightly better in the summer. However, the summer-blend is also more expensive to produce, and that cost is passed on to the motorist.

then there's this: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/coldweather.shtml
Fuel economy tests show that, in short-trip city driving, a conventional gasoline car's gas mileage is about 12% lower at 20°F than it would be at 77°F. It can drop as much as 22% for very short trips (3 to 4 miles).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts