Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
(soon) 2022 Crosstrek Limited. 2012 Ram 1500 4X4 V8.
67 Posts
And a bottle of something else for yourself, to celebrate completing the job. :cool:
Whiskey... Just saying...
Just trying to get some opinions on price here, bud. Not too familiar with this car, haven't had to do brakes for a loooong time. And in case you haven't noticed, damn near everything has gone up in price because of covid. So I was seeing if this is an outrageous estimate or reasonable. Some here offered helpful info, some here were condescending d-bags. So thanks for the latter!
I'll apologize for that. You posted looking for opinions on total price, and I think I was the first one to start diving into "call all your local parts dealers for parts quotes first". And then the flood gates opened for the DIY folks. I'm one of those DIY folks for vehicle repair.

We all went down into the weeds. I don't see any d-bag posts but then again I'm not reading these posts from your perspective. I hope from all the posts, d-bags and other, that you've been able to take something useful from it.

To some people the DIY scene is for fun, others a financial necessity. Either way, and like others have pointed out, if it's not your cup of tea then that's cool too.

·
Registered
21 Sport
1,697 Posts
Whiskey... Just saying...

I'll apologize for that. You posted looking for opinions on total price, and I think I was the first one to start diving into "call all your local parts dealers for parts quotes first". And then the flood gates opened for the DIY folks. I'm one of those DIY folks for vehicle repair.

We all went down into the weeds. I don't see any d-bag posts but then again I'm not reading these posts from your perspective. I hope from all the posts, d-bags and other, that you've been able to take something useful from it.

To some people the DIY scene is for fun, others a financial necessity. Either way, and like others have pointed out, if it's not your cup of tea then that's cool too.
most people use mechanics for service and repairs -- like the OP who inquired about the cost he was quoted

·
Registered
(soon) 2022 Crosstrek Limited. 2012 Ram 1500 4X4 V8.
67 Posts
most people use mechanics for service and repairs -- like the OP who inquired about the cost he was quoted
That's why I apologized for going down the rabbit hole of doing some homework himself about it. I wasn't trying to be rude.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
324 Posts
Of the many car forums/mailing lists I have been a part of over ~25 years, this is usually not the case. Car forums are usually comprised of mostly passionate car people who prefer to work on their own stuff in some capacity.....which is what they use the forum for. This forum is kind of the opposite, which comes as a bit of a surprise to me based on the other forums I have been a part of.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,001 Posts
Guys, just let it go. Nobody here was being condescending, and this thread is loaded with helpful information and comments ... some presumably useful to the OP, and others useful to the hundreds of other folks who have and will read this thread. You can't be expected to read the mind of a new thread started by a new forum member.

And quite frankly, there was only person in the thread who left a post that violated forum rules -- and that was the OP.

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,513 Posts
It's worth mentioning higher quality pads will come with a little packet of grease if case you don't have any.
Yes, but also grease the big pin slides on your caliper itself - those little packets are just meant for the slides on the pad where they slide against the caliper frame right? I always pull the rubber accordion boots, clean the pins and re-grease.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0 CVT
62 Posts
You’re definitely getting bent over by that quote. I worked two years in auto parts sales, that’s robbery. As shown above in a autozone cart, it should be under $300 easily.

you can obviously do it yourself in a few hours of effort and a YouTube video, or you can go to Midas and get a quote (probably cheaper) and they warranty the brake job for life. Free replacements on rotors, pads, lines, fluid, etc, they’re one of the only companies I know of who will do lifetime replacements if you have them install brakes, it’s kind of a awesome deal although expensive at first. You might spend $1,000 on it with Midas, but as long as you own the vehicle you get free brake replacements the rest of its life. If you keep the vehicle more than 2 years it’s paid for.

You can also try to find a different shop or a friend who will do it for cheaper labor… but sometimes you get what you pay for with cheap labor… I would suggest DIY or the Midas lifetime option.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sounds expensive however the shop is dealing with a 7 year old snow country car and all the delights that brings.

Shops mark up parts , its just a fact of life and part of their revenue stream.

If you arent a DIYer (this is actually a straight forward job if it stays in its lane and simple remove and replace) and you have positive history with the shop then just do it. Yep its probably a couple hundred to high. Will you care in 3 months when you are driving you fully fresh braked car? probably not

·
Registered
65 Posts
Comparing costs on this forum, like anything else, will give a really wide range of "normal". Get more quotes in your area. Having to do the front and back at the same time will add to your sticker shock.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts