Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
21 Sport
1,697 Posts
Oil change, air filter, spare tire,and brake pads are designed for owner service. I can understand some don’t want to mess with CVT, but spend $10000 for a $400 job seems like a dealership self-stimulus package to me. Subie is probably one of the least complicated cars around to work on and they use common parts among models. On top of that, front and rear brakes wear out at different rates, rotors don’t necessarily need replacement every time. There is a lot of “this aint smells right” to me.

I no longer own used 911, the stupid computer that the Indie shop can no longer afford to read codes makes it a rich man’s Subaru.
we've seen quite a few DIY oil changes result in drained CVTs

·
Registered
2021 Ice Silver Crosstrek Sport
8 Posts
If you don't usually perform the mechanical maintenance/repair of your vehicles, have a dependable/trusted repair shop perform the brake job. In my younger days I did all that stuff myself, but I now pay the pros to do the major stuff. They have the required equipment and hopefully the knowledge to do the job correctly and quickly. It isn't an inexpensive proposition, but how many times do you get a four wheel brake job. Good luck.

·
Registered
186 Posts
we've seen quite a few DIY oil changes result in drained CVTs
You can’t fix not doing homework and being ignorant. I haven’t made that mistake yet because I get on forum like this to learn all the information needed before hand. If one just jacks it up and lets go the first drain hole he saw, that’s on him.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Absurd. Here’s a basic breakdown of costs:

$20 Front Pads (cheap) - Centric 10315390 Ceramic
$53 Front Pads (best) - Akebono ACT1539 Ceramic

$32 x2 Front Rotor (cheap) - Durango BR900496
$36 x2 Front Rotor (best) - Raybestos 980360FZN Element3 Coated
-------------------------------------------------
$16 Rear Pads (cheap) - Centric 10311140 C-TEK Ceramic
$43 Rear Pads (best) - Akebono ACT1114A Ceramic

$22 x2 Rear Rotor (cheap) - Durango BR901128
$29 x2 Rear Rotor (best) - Raybestos 980962FZN Element3 Coated

2017 SUBARU CROSSTREK 2.0L H4 Rotor | RockAuto
-------------------------------------------------

$3 x2 - Brake fluid (if you want to bleed brake fluid) - https://www.amazon.com/Prestone-AS400-Synthetic-Brake-Fluid/dp/B000FW4MJ8
$3 - Brake cleaner (buy locally)
$0 Labor - You’re doing this yourself; you can do it.
------------------------------------------------

Total (cheap parts) - $153
Total (best parts) - $235

·
Registered
214 Posts
I might as well join the party. 2015XV-Premium car has 176,000 total. Recently had rear pads and rotors replaced at dealer. Pads - $95, Rotors -$190 - total $468. Now before you all tell me how awful that is...the dealer has a lifetime powertrain warranty. I purchased the car new in May of 2015. I have had three wheel bearings replaced and one front axel. No charge. So I feel okay with my ownership and my purchase...also got a $1200 discount off the price at time of purchase. No point, other than there may be several variables involved in cost of ownership and maintenance. Back 50 years ago when I was 25...I might have done the work myself...but that ship has long since sailed.

~Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
[/QUOTE]
But as I think about this if your 1st move is to post on a forum about price of parts and not know how to solve that problem with the online parts places. DYI is not your thing. Pay the man
[/QUOTE]

Just trying to get some opinions on price here, bud. Not too familiar with this car, haven't had to do brakes for a loooong time. And in case you haven't noticed, damn near everything has gone up in price because of covid. So I was seeing if this is an outrageous estimate or reasonable. Some here offered helpful info, some here were condescending d-bags. So thanks for the latter!

·
Registered
21 Sport
1,697 Posts
You can’t fix not doing homework and being ignorant. I haven’t made that mistake yet because I get on forum like this to learn all the information needed before hand. If one just jacks it up and lets go the first drain hole he saw, that’s on him.
tell it to the guys who **** up their cars, and come here afterwards. i have a mechanic who works on my car, a gardener who takes care of my yard and a dentist who does my teeth

·
Registered
186 Posts
tell it to the guys who **** up their cars, and come here afterwards. i have a mechanic who works on my car, a gardener who takes care of my yard and a dentist who does my teeth
And some takes care of you. Different strokes for different blokes. You can put those people down for making mistakes but they helps dumb $hit like me not to repeat the same mistakes.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,001 Posts
It's all a matter of education. We definitely get people like that, but I think car forums get a lot more people who are having an issue that they might not fully understand, and they've gotten a line of **** about it from a dealership or mechanic who's only in it for himself. Those folks have a feeling that they're likely being taken, but they don't have the comfort level to figure things out for sure.

That's where car forums in general can be super helpful, and threads like this in particular. Whether or not somebody actually wants to work on their own car, it's important to know at least the fundamentals of what the project at hand entails, and the level of skill and time that's required.

That said, I'm a strong advocate for everybody doing at least some of the basics on their car. Nobody should ever pay somebody else to change an air filter, for example. And it's really good for people to try some other maintenance chores at least once or twice, to build up their understanding of the vehicle. That understanding can be crucial when you're talking to a new mechanic somewhere down the road.

·
Registered
21 Sport
1,697 Posts
It's all a matter of education. We definitely get people like that, but I think car forums get a lot more people who are having an issue that they might not fully understand, and they've gotten a line of **** about it from a dealership or mechanic who's only in it for himself. Those folks have a feeling that they're likely being taken, but they don't have the comfort level to figure things out for sure.

That's where car forums in general can be super helpful, and threads like this in particular. Whether or not somebody actually wants to work on their own car, it's important to know at least the fundamentals of what the project at hand entails, and the level of skill and time that's required.

That said, I'm a strong advocate for everybody doing at least some of the basics on their car. Nobody should ever pay somebody else to change an air filter, for example. And it's really good for people to try some other maintenance chores at least once or twice, to build up their understanding of the vehicle. That understanding can be crucial when you're talking to a new mechanic somewhere down the road.
i'm an advocate for letting people spend their money how they want to. i have a day job. i pay others to do the things i don't want to do (cut grass, change brakes) even if i am perfectly capable of doing those tasks, and i am. i also pay for tasks that i am not capable of doing, like a root canal

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
14,531 Posts
I'm in the category of been there done that. I'm grateful to my late dad for teaching me about cars as a kid. He did everything himself, on the car the house, whatever. Now I choose to pay someone else but I know enough to not get ripped off, too much...

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
324 Posts
yeah, complete ripoff.

Never had anybody do a set of brakes on any of my cars...or my other halves. Too easy to do myself to risk some monkey screwing things up. Plus I can choose higher quality parts than a typical shop would and I actually grease my caliper pins, unlike most.

Just did a quick search on what rotors and pads I'd pick from Rock Auto for my '21.

-FRONT ROTORS- $59ea
-REAR ROTORS- $50ea
-FRONT PADS- $29
-REAR PADS- $25

Total parts: $272

I already have caliper pin grease.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
32 Posts
But as I think about this if your 1st move is to post on a forum about price of parts and not know how to solve that problem with the online parts places. DYI is not your thing. Pay the man
[/QUOTE]

Just trying to get some opinions on price here, bud. Not too familiar with this car, haven't had to do brakes for a loooong time. And in case you haven't noticed, damn near everything has gone up in price because of covid. So I was seeing if this is an outrageous estimate or reasonable. Some here offered helpful info, some here were condescending d-bags. So thanks for the latter!
[/QUOTE]
Just re read my comment. It may have been a bit heavy handed. Not meant to be condescending in any way. I was relating my enjoyment of problem solving. I failed. I read you were concerned about the price. I gave you current pricing, and the most recent labor rate I have encountered. I pointed out DYI is a great way to save on the labor rate. You are right to look for assistance on this forum. A lot of talented folks with good information. Lesson learned. I will keep it to just the facts.
John

21 - 40 of 50 Posts