Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Xtrek has ~80K miles and needs new brakes. I got an estimate from a local shop in Golden, CO, and I was astounded that it came out at $1067. That's front brake rotor x2 ($190), front / rear brake pad ($116), rear rotor x2 ($190), rear brake pad ($80), fluid/shop charges etc, + $420 labor. I get that I can't control the labor cost and I trust this shop. But >$1000 for brakes seems absurd! Does anyone have an opinion?

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
14,661 Posts
Seems about right. I wouldn't want to do all that work for $400...

·
Registered
(soon) 2022 Crosstrek Limited. 2012 Ram 1500 4X4 V8.
67 Posts
Sounds like they're gonna use cheap pads. I'm just guessing though... I really don't know because I'm in rural Canada.

If you have the time, it might be worth it to call around to a few local parts shops just for your own knowledge. Most places you call will only need your make, model, and year and they'll tell you what they have. You might be surprised by the price difference between cheap and expensive brakes.

Sometimes the brakes are identical but the different price is for a warranty. It's not like you pay a flat fee and add a product warranty after. Some manufacturers add the warranty into the sticker price. Basic pads $99 (1 year), basic pads PLUS $129 (2 year), SUPER basic pads PLUS $159 (3 year). It "sounds" like your getting a better product but really they're all identical expect for the warranty. So in this case yes, get the cheapest pads. But maybe you want something that'll last longer so you want a ceramic pad? So skip all the cheap pads and go for the basic ceramic pads. It'll cost you more but you won't be going back as soon to buy another pair of cheap pads. Etc etc.

·
Prefers black cats
14,661 Posts
There's really no comparison here...

You can shop around for the cheapest parts and scrape your knuckles doing it yourself. I've done that. Many times. Or you can pay someone to do it...

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
32 Posts
Check Rock auto you can price what ever level you want. I have used the “heart suggestion” and been satisfied.
Just a quick check.
Looks like
$140 for 4 rotors
$70 for pads for 4 wheels
Add shipping
Add Fluids
The labor is what it is. Sounds like it takes them about 3 ish hours. You should double that for dyi
Brakes are obviously very important. You need to to be meticulous if you take it on yourself, but it has always been a place to save as a dyi project armed with research and a guru. Heck they have disc brake on bicycles now. I would bet there is a video to see what’s involved for your exact car. I personally love doing this stuff. The problem solving, a new tool or 2, a chance to understand how things work.
But as I think about this if your 1st move is to post on a forum about price of parts and not know how to solve that problem with the online parts places. DYI is not your thing. Pay the man

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,192 Posts
I buy parts from Rockauto;
2015 SUBARU XV CROSSTREK 2.0L H4 Caliper, Rotor & Brake Pad Kit | RockAuto

You might only need pads, I like Akebono Ceramic ACT. They last a long time, run clean and are not noisy;
2015 SUBARU XV CROSSTREK 2.0L H4 Brake Pad | RockAuto

If your brakes are not pulsating, you may not need new rotors. My mechanic charges $100 for pads/ axle, $150/ axle with rotors for labor. Rear brakes wear out around 60,000 and fronts around 90,000 miles.

Get many estimates. Your first quote was quite high.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I’ve been using AutoZone for decades for brakes. I have a 16 Trek with 65k. I replaced the front pads around 63k, and rears at 35. They sell upgraded to ceramic for about $60.00. They have good-better-best pads. The best are the ones I always go with. The awesome thing is, that once you buy their pads, they are then free for life. Yes. You buy new ones when you need them, bring back the old worn ones, and they give you all your money back. My mechanic charges about $100.00 to change out either front or rear brake pads. He lets me bring my own stuff. And these pads are good. I haven’t needed to replace rotors, but I’m sure they have good prices for them also. I’m sure they aren’t lifetime warranty for them. Sounds like your shop is high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,192 Posts

·
Prefers black cats
14,661 Posts
But as I think about this if your 1st move is to post on a forum about price of parts and not know how to solve that problem with the online parts places. DYI is not your thing. Pay the man
Yeah, this...

Not the first job I would attempt as a first time DIY! Brakes are kind of important!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I will go somewhere else or find an indie shop. the book rate for each axle should be 1 hour. So two hours for $120/H is $240. Where the tech come from that charges $420? Japanese factory?
Somehow, poor man's Porsche becomes another Porsche. If you already have jacks and an impact wrench, Watch how they are changed on youtube and DIY. Subaru OE brake pad kit is about $90 that comes with shims and grease all things needed, don't cheap out on pads, make sure either reuse the factory pad sliders and shims or use quality hardware to minimize squeals. Don't assume you need new rotors, rotors in the past can last two pad change. Now people just throw them out with the pads!!??

I am shocked that how much Subaru AD are ripping off their customers.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yeah, this...

Not the first job I would attempt as a first time DIY! Brakes are kind of important!
Watch Youtube and you will find out how easy it is. I think my indie will gladly do it for $250 per axle. I will do it for beer over the weekend for you but as you know I can't afford being within 30 miles of the coastline. hehe

·
Registered
21 Sport
1,735 Posts
I will go somewhere else or find an indie shop. the book rate for each axle should be 1 hour. So two hours for $120/H is $240. Where the tech come from that charges $420? Japanese factory?
Somehow, poor man's Porsche becomes another Porsche. If you already have jacks and an impact wrench, Watch how they are changed on youtube and DIY. Subaru brake pad kit is about $90, don't cheap out on pads, make sure either reuse the factory pad slides and shims or use quality hardware to minimize squeals. I am shocked that how much Subaru AD are ripping off their customers.
my mechanic i believe charged me around $250-$275 for front or rear brakes and that included changing rotors. i'm sure the cost has gone up in the last year tho. $1k is high

·
Registered
561 Posts
Order factory parts(discounted)....
brakes
and just install them yourself. One nice piece about the factory pads come with all the clips and hardware. I'd also buy 2 bottles of subaru brake fluid to flush the system out. It's never worth using cheap parts on your car. That quote does not seem too bad if there replacing all 4 rotors/pads and flushing the fluid.
regards

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,020 Posts
For somebody who wants to get into DIY auto servicing, brake pad replacement is a great place to start -- it's a straightforward process, there's lots of info online, and you can save a good chunk of money. I can get why folks might be hesitant to try it, though ... after I rebuilt the master cylinder on my old MGB, I spent the next month worrying that I might have screwed something up and that I was going to die as a result.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Order factory parts(discounted)....
brakes
and just install them yourself. One nice piece about the factory pads come with all the clips and hardware. I'd also buy 2 bottles of subaru brake fluid to flush the system out. It's never worth using cheap parts on your car. That quote does not seem too bad if there replacing all 4 rotors/pads and flushing the fluid.
regards
+1

·
Registered
198 Posts
Agreed! But all rotors and fluid change and bleed?
Oil change, air filter, spare tire,and brake pads are designed for owner service. I can understand some don’t want to mess with CVT, but spend $10000 for a $400 job seems like a dealership self-stimulus package to me. Subie is probably one of the least complicated cars around to work on and they use common parts among models. On top of that, front and rear brakes wear out at different rates, rotors don’t necessarily need replacement every time. There is a lot of “this aint smells right” to me.

I no longer own used 911, the stupid computer that the Indie shop can no longer afford to read codes makes it a rich man’s Subaru.

·
Registered
198 Posts
For somebody who wants to get into DIY auto servicing, brake pad replacement is a great place to start -- it's a straightforward process, there's lots of info online, and you can save a good chunk of money. I can get why folks might be hesitant to try it, though ... after I rebuilt the master cylinder on my old MGB, I spent the next month worrying that I might have screwed something up and that I was going to die as a result.
That’s part of the charm of owning MGB or any UK roadster of that era, working on your cars over the weekend and worry about them the rest of the time.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts