Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured this might help someone out. My 2014 Crosstrek air conditioning would go from ice cold to warm randomly as I was driving. I was able to pull over and saw the ac clutch was not engaged when it was blowing warm. Dealer wanted to replace the whole ac compressor ($1.5-2k parts and labor) After much trouble shooting i narrowed it down to the AC clutch gap was too large and therefore wouldn't engage all of the time. I easily took out one of the shims and it works perfectly. No special tools required to get the clutch off.

Seems like there are 3 rubber pieces on the front side of the clutch that are supposed to keep the gap smaller. In my case they are worn out and one was missing. Hopefully this helps someone not waste a ton money when it isn't necessary.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yep, posted about it on here previously. It is just a matter of time till this affects more people. A quick look at the other Subaru forums and you will see this is a common Subaru issue.

There are 3 options to fix this with the one you mentioned being relatively simple in comparison to other Subaru models that have the clutch pressed onto the shaft.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I figured this might help someone out. My 2014 Crosstrek air conditioning would go from ice cold to warm randomly as I was driving. I was able to pull over and saw the ac clutch was not engaged when it was blowing warm. Dealer wanted to replace the whole ac compressor ($1.5-2k parts and labor) After much trouble shooting i narrowed it down to the AC clutch gap was too large and therefore wouldn't engage all of the time. I easily took out one of the shims and it works perfectly. No special tools required to get the clutch off.

Seems like there are 3 rubber pieces on the front side of the clutch that are supposed to keep the gap smaller. In my case they are worn out and one was missing. Hopefully this helps someone not waste a ton money when it isn't necessary.
same issue with my xv...it starts blowing cold air, what i do is i turn off the ac then on it again after few minutes...but after several repitition of the on off on of the ac switch it wiil not blow cold air again especially on hot afternoons...unless i turn off the engine and rest the xv atleast halfday for the ac returns blowing cold air...on off on process till it does not work anymore ...do you think its clutch gap??

·
Registered
319 Posts
You don’t need to replace the compressor. You can either remove a shim from the shaft, shim the front of the clutch, or replace the clutch. Details on here linked above. The dealer will not do any of the 3 options, they will want to replace the entire compressor.

Subaru doesn’t offer a new clutch but they are readily available. Be sure if you go that route to get the correct one as there are slight differences. Go by the model number on your compressor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts