Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

2014 Factory Radio Replacement Suggestions

Model Years 2012 to 2017 
7K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  folkiefoodie 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 with the OEM head unit (regular, not premium) and have suffered its awful sound quality since Day 1. I upgraded the speakers last year, which helped, but the sound remains "gritty". Can anyone recommend a replacement stereo / head unit that fits and retains the functionality (Blue Tooth & phone, steering wheel controls, etc.)?

#4 ·
#5 ·
Thank you so much for your responses. I was leaning towards going to Crutchfield, since they are about 30 min from me, but I wanted to get some feedback first on what units people have tried and liked.
Note: I'm sure anything will be a huge improvement over the hash sibilance noise generator that passes for an OEM head unit. Why does this thing sound so bad, cheap Class D amps?

#6 ·
What source are you using?
I put Polk db651 speakers in the front and play 192K mp3s. Sounds good to me.

#7 ·
I put a double din pioneer headunit in mine with polk coaxials in the rear and jbl components up front. Had to get a maestro rr module to keep steering wheel controls, back up cam, etc. BUT the module also allows you to see extra stuff like more gauges (coolant/oil temp, fuel pressure, oil pressure, intake temp, etc.), your tire pressure in each tire, which door is open if one is open, battery voltage, stuff like that. Not all of it is that needed but it’s nice to have some of it. I’m leaning towards getting a small amp for the speakers though because while the sound quality is 10x better, it still distorts a bit at higher volume, and I’m definitely a windows-down-and-radio-up kinda person.

Aftermarket head unit definitely helped a lot though and I can turn it up pretty loud, and I love having CarPlay with navigation and such. Highly recommend it since the stock head unit is junk.

#8 ·
+1 on the pioneer head unit and maestro rr. I installed a Pioneer AVIC-7200NEX so I'd have GPS/mapping when I was out of cell range (doesn't take far in Idaho) and got on some forest roads. The Pioneer unit has enough power I didn't replace my amp when it died. I installed a Kicker 11HS8 compact sub under the passenger seat, it was a tight fit but rounded out the bass very nicely. One nice thing about the maestro is it give you a gauges screen so you can see what your systems are doing instead of the idiot lights. Also displays tire pressures.

#9 ·
Thank you so much for your responses. I was leaning towards going to Crutchfield, since they are about 30 min from me, but I wanted to get some feedback first on what units people have tried and liked. Note: I'm sure anything will be a huge improvement over the hash sibilance noise generator that passes for an OEM head unit. Why does this thing sound so bad, cheap Class D amps?
I contacted Crutchfield (and Abt) and they say there are NO aftermarket units that will fit a 2014 Outback--much less offer the same as (never mind more than) functionality as the OEM head unit.