Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Crosstrek
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating a couple different camping options and looking for advice. One option I am considering is mounting a Frontrunner Slimline on top and add a RTT with quick release. Total weight will be a little more than 160 pounds. I've been reading that max load is 150. Is that correct? That can't be right. Maybe they were referring to Aero bars max weight. Any help with this would be great.

Thanks,
Doug

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,412 Posts
That is correct. According to the manufacturer, Subaru, the Crosstrek is not rated to handle a roof top tent. Some people put them on anyways, and I've seen disagreements on the forum about if that causes damage. If it were me, I wouldn't be too worried about going 10% over the weight limit.
I believe the 150 pound limit is the dynamic weight limit when driving. The static weight is higher, but still no good for a RTT. Might be 500 pounds static? It should say in the owner's manual.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,234 Posts
I am contemplating a couple different camping options and looking for advice. One option I am considering is mounting a Frontrunner Slimline on top and add a RTT with quick release. Total weight will be a little more than 160 pounds. I've been reading that max load is 150. Is that correct? That can't be right. Maybe they were referring to Aero bars max weight. Any help with this would be great.

Thanks,
Doug
Correct, it's 150lbs total dynamic weight of everything added to the roof, including the cross bars, tent, stuff in the tent, etc. When parked the static weight can be higher (e.g. two adults climbing into the tent).

There are lots of threads here about RTTs and what people have done. Try searching for tent, etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I'd like to share my experiences. Firstly, the crosstreks safety rating means the car is capable of holding the entire weight of the car on it's roof (even more, actually) in the event of a rollover. call it 3k lbs. I have a 14' Limited, 2" lift, 225/75/15's with a frontrunner rack, quick release tent mounts, 180* awning, and a smittybilt RTT (the original one). Total weight on factory rails (NOT THE CROSSBARS, I DONT USE THOSE) around 225 lbs... Then, add my fatass (285) wife (132, don't tell her I posted her weight) and bedding, olight lantern, clothes, a firearm, etc... Total sleeping weight is around 650lbs, or just north of that. I have ABSOLUTELY no issues with my setup. I'll admit I was a bit.... Gentle the first few times we camped in there, and tested it with out our son (28lbs). We have over 100 nights in this thing over 2 years, and it's been great. I feel a good rack is essential. The frontrunner is #1 in my book, but prinsu seems decent as well. I don't think I'd feel comfortable (personally) on crossbars, even the rectangular steel crossbars unless I had 3 or 4 of them to distribute the weight better. Feel free to ask questions if you'd like

1 - 4 of 4 Posts