Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2014 XV Crosstrek with about 120K miles on it. Recently started throwing P2764 codes, which the manual says is due to the "Lock-Up" solenoid. Tested the resistance, which was indeed out of spec. The vehicle would jerk on the shifting emulation and go into "limp mode".

I discovered that Subaru does not sell the solenoids separately, and was quoted $750 for a replacement valve body. Hoping to save some cash on such an expensive, and potentially unnecessary replacement, I looked into aftermarket solenoids. I found the "Vauto" replacement for the lock and purchased it for $100. I made the replacement and the new solenoid tests in spec throughout the harness. I did not replace the AT fluids and poured back in whatever came out with the valve body during the replacement process.

The P2764 code is now clear and the vehicle no longer goes into "limp mode". However, the jerking is still occurring.

When accelerating from stopped or very low speed, when I hit around 1500-2000 RPM, the RPMs just drop off, the transmission "shifts" and then everything is smooth. If I am smooth on the acceleration, the jerking from the drop-off is not terrible, but it's very unsettling for anyone who is not expecting it. Additionally, in a situation where I might need to actually accelerate quickly to avoid a collision, this could be extremely dangerous.

I am considering doing the full valve body replacement, but I am not sure what the actual issue is at this point. I have 4 potential ideas:

1. Bad solenoid? The cheap aftermarket solenoid is "in spec" on resistance so the TCM doesn't complain, but it is not actually functioning correctly.

2. Incorrect installation of the replacement solenoid? I think I did the replacement correctly; however, I am not a professional service tech. I would expect more and or new issues if I messed something up, but I am not sure.

3. Something else is actually the problem? Maybe the solenoid replacement is fine and installed correctly, but something else is going on to cause the RPM drop-off. Should I be replacing the AT fluid? Is my entire CVT potentially going bad?

4. TCM needs to be reset and run through a "relearn" procedure? I understand this is something that can only be done via the Subaru Select software. I'm not sure if this big of an issue could be caused or resolved due to software learning, but maybe it's possible. If so, does anyone have experience with asking a dealer to run this procedure? Not sure what it ought to cost.

The issue is the same whether I'm in Drive or using the paddles. Sometimes, when I first start the car and get going, the issue isn't immediately present, but it does start doing it every time I drive the vehicle.

And I guess my biggest question right now is, aside from the annoyance and potential danger from the jerkiness, could this be causing additional damage to the transmission?

I'd appreciate any thoughts from anyone who might have experienced anything similar or has better familiar with what the CVT is doing in the 1500-2000 RPM range.

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here's a writeup from another Subaru board .... I went thru this and had the dealer do it ..... I explained it further in the thread ... but the OP went with a replacement solenoid from Amazon.

·
Registered
2021 Ice SIlver Sport
1,283 Posts
It is possible one of the other solenoids is going bad or the one you got isn't working correctly. Per an article linked in one of the VB replacement threads, the reason so many of these fail is due to not changing the so called "Lifetime Fluid". I replaced the complete vale body on my 14, was over 140,000 miles. Can be had for a lot less than the $750 ordering online. I reasoned that I only wanted to do the repair once. Being the other solenoids were the same age, through the same heat cycles, and and dirty fluid that it was just a matter of time till I possibly had issues with the others. I did not have any jerkiness, just all the dash lights and codes stored. You're kinda in a bad spot now though. Was your transmission jerking before you had the CVT codes popping up? If so, then possibly you can rule out the fuel issue. While fuel could be an issue, I doubt both would fail at exactly the same time.

·
Registered
2021 Ice SIlver Sport
1,283 Posts
Here's a writeup from another Subaru board .... I went thru this and had the dealer do it ..... I explained it further in the thread ... but the OP went with a replacement solenoid from Amazon.

Lots of bad reviews for the solenoids on Amazon. Like almost half of them. Some reporting jerkiness. Maybe it is just the solenoid afterall??

·
Registered
140 Posts
Also to consider, the dealer valve body comes with a 12 month warranty ..... so I don't have to be concerned if it fails again for a year after they replace it.

Since it is an electrical part, I don't know for certain if they would honor that warranty for a non dealer to replace it.

As per the link I posted above, the OP just posted TODAY, his replacement solenoid JUST FAILED .... you can read his update.

As far as the PZEV warranty mentioned below, I called my buddy the service manager, he said in NJ there is no such thing. It MAY BE a California thing since their cars and state extend anything emission related.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I did basically the same as the person in that other thread, except no codes came back and the solenoid resistance is still in spec.

I don't believe the jerkiness was occurring prior to the replacement, but the vehicle was obviously having a multitude of issues with accelerating, etc.

I'll take a look into fuel pressure regulator diagnostics.

Seems to drive ok other than the jerking. I'm guessing I don't need to worry too much about it causing more damage (?) but probably need to resolve this sooner than later.

The CVT isn't covered by PZEV warranty, but the fuel pressure regulator might be?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hey doomtop, I also feel that bump when the converter locks up at around 1400 to 1600 rpm, followed be an immediate 300rpm crash. Sometimes the bump is pretty strong! It's been doing that for over 20K miles and I've never gotten a check engine light or any other lamp. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

The weird thing is, it's not consistent. It might do it one day, and not another. Or if it's doing it one day and I turn the car off and back on, it might stop doing it until I turn the car off and back on again, then it'll start doing it again. This all leads me to believe it's in the programming.

Have you tried Service Bulletin 16-130-20? It doesn't apply to your model year, but if the solenoids are contaminated it may be an option.

Mine is a 2015 with 75K miles.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Point 4, you need to do a relearn. It's a quick process, should take about 15 minutes, but I bet it will take care of your issue.

It -may-be wise, next time, to replace all the solenoids, as if one goes bad, the others surely aren't far behind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay so I have a couple updates here and would welcome any feedback.

First, I basically didn't really do anything to address it and have just been driving it. I've put thousands of miles on it and it hasn't really gotten any worse.

Which brings me to the second: It is now throwing the P2764 and P0700 codes again and the dash is lighting up all over the place and the codes won't clear.

The really interesting part though is that as soon as the codes came back, the jerkiness stopped. Like it's not a problem anymore. It accelerates smoothly again and everything runs fine. I've put about 1500 miles on it with the codes and lights flashing and everything and it seems to run fine.

Not sure what to make of this . . .

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had the vale body replaced around 280,000 km but my only symptom on my car was the torque converter would not lock up so rpm's were high and the fuel economy sucked on the highway. I had no other symptoms

Dealer did my replacement and I drained and filled the CVT fluid before they did the work then they drained and filled it when they did the valve body. That was the first drain fluid came out dark but not disgusting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
2764 is the lockup solenoid and 0700 is generic transmission problem. Been there, done that twice. First time on Subaru's dime at 53k miles, second time on my dime at a bit over 150k miles. I have no idea if Subaru replaced the cvt fluid the first time or just put the same fluid in there. I would not be surprised to find they reuse the fluid. Second time, I had an independent (good) mechanic do it and he specifically said he replaced the fluid and any filters in the process. Heck...if this time it goes another 100k miles like the first replacement, I'll be happy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, 2764 is the lockup solenoid. But the CVT seems to lockup just fine now. That's what's weird!

I haven't tested the resistance yet, but I have to assume it's out of spec.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts