Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2013 XV Crosstrek. CVT.

The AC stopped working. I am not sure when, but I do know that when the weather warmed up and the AC was turned on it didn't blow cold air. It was blowing hot air. After some investigation under the hood, the compressor clutch was not engaging.

So far, I have considered and tried the following:

• Checked the associated fuses. No issues.
  • AC relay: Fortunately, I have a 2012 Impreza, and it is virtually the same vehicle. So, I took my known working AC relay from the Impreza and put it into the XV. I put the relay from the XV into the Impreza. The Impreza's AC works without issue. It is/was not a relay issue.
  • TSB/Recall: I first looked at (and read) all of the information I could find on the issue, including reading all the threads I could find on this forum. Most of the issues point toward the TSB on the AC. My XV is not included in the TSB range of vehicles. I have a different compressor, and my VIN is earlier. I am out of warranty. (This is why I chose to start another thread).
  • Pressure issue: I found a thread that included this post suggesting that a low pressure would cause the vehicle to protect test and not run the compressor. I purchased AC PRO. The gauge read EMPTY when connected to the low side. I refilled, as per the instructions. Voila! The compressor clutch engaged and started to spin. It is engaging and disengaging properly with on/off inside the cabin.
However, it still blows only hot air, and the compressor makes a wretched noise. There is a thread on this, and includes this video:

Unfortunately, that thread its much help, as it points back to the TSB on the AC compressor. The issue in the TSB is that the compressor clutch doesn't engage. I now have the compressor running, it just isn't blowing cold air.

Next steps:
1. Check for leaks elsewhere. Does Subaru put UV dye into the system from the factory? The AC PRO I used does not include a dye.
2. Check the pressures. I will rend the gauges from the auto parts store.
3. Replace the compressor. I can do this easily, and there are great tutorials and videos online. The compressor is $5-700 dollars. I would like to explore other options before this. There are horror stories of replacing the compressor and having it dead again in a year because there was some other issue. I want to make sure I am considering everything. I could replace the system, but that would add exponential cost.

TL:DR:
- AC not working, compressor clutch not engaging
- Not part of the Subaru TSB, out of warranty
- System pressure low, recharged
- Clutch engaging, compressor spinning
- Compressor making a terrible noise, system is still blowing hot air

Suggestions?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bit the bullet and had the dealer do the work. They diagnosed a bad compressor clutch, necessitating a compressor replacement. They replaced the compressor, all gaskets, pulled the vacuum and did a full recharge. The monetary setback was around $1400. I could have replaced the compressor, but had no way to remove the refrigerant and do the recharge at my home garage. Plus, I figure they can deal with any issues that might spring up in the future. It has now been blowing (super) cold air for more than a month.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2013 XV Crosstrek. CVT.

The AC stopped working. I am not sure when, but I do know that when the weather warmed up and the AC was turned on it didn't blow cold air. It was blowing hot air. After some investigation under the hood, the compressor clutch was not engaging.

So far, I have considered and tried the following:

• Checked the associated fuses. No issues.
  • AC relay: Fortunately, I have a 2012 Impreza, and it is virtually the same vehicle. So, I took my known working AC relay from the Impreza and put it into the XV. I put the relay from the XV into the Impreza. The Impreza's AC works without issue. It is/was not a relay issue.
  • TSB/Recall: I first looked at (and read) all of the information I could find on the issue, including reading all the threads I could find on this forum. Most of the issues point toward the TSB on the AC. My XV is not included in the TSB range of vehicles. I have a different compressor, and my VIN is earlier. I am out of warranty. (This is why I chose to start another thread).
  • Pressure issue: I found a thread that included this post suggesting that a low pressure would cause the vehicle to protect test and not run the compressor. I purchased AC PRO. The gauge read EMPTY when connected to the low side. I refilled, as per the instructions. Voila! The compressor clutch engaged and started to spin. It is engaging and disengaging properly with on/off inside the cabin.
However, it still blows only hot air, and the compressor makes a wretched noise. There is a thread on this, and includes this video:

Unfortunately, that thread its much help, as it points back to the TSB on the AC compressor. The issue in the TSB is that the compressor clutch doesn't engage. I now have the compressor running, it just isn't blowing cold air.

Next steps:
1. Check for leaks elsewhere. Does Subaru put UV dye into the system from the factory? The AC PRO I used does not include a dye.
2. Check the pressures. I will rend the gauges from the auto parts store.
3. Replace the compressor. I can do this easily, and there are great tutorials and videos online. The compressor is $5-700 dollars. I would like to explore other options before this. There are horror stories of replacing the compressor and having it dead again in a year because there was some other issue. I want to make sure I am considering everything. I could replace the system, but that would add exponential cost.

TL:DR:
  • AC not working, compressor clutch not engaging
  • Not part of the Subaru TSB, out of warranty
  • System pressure low, recharged
  • Clutch engaging, compressor spinning
  • Compressor making a terrible noise, system is still blowing hot air

Suggestions?
Apparently O-rings and seals have been an issue. My O-rings went and they made it sound like it was normal. I have 25 year old cars that the a/c has no issues and works way better than in the x-trek.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having problems with ac on 2014 crosstrek blowing warm air after driving 20 to 30 mins on hot day.After reading other posts I have determined that clutch windings is the problem after the clutch has wore some and on hot day the gap is wider.Purchased new compressor on Google for 129.00 and had local shop install it with oil and freon for 190.00.Have not had anymore problems with cooling on hot days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts