Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 crosstrek that I had purchased new back in 2013. The car was recently taken in for a valve spring recall and according to them was successful. After a couple fill ups I noticed the gas mileage was going down steadily on my display and decided to do the math myself. I currently get just a little over 22 mpg with my crosstrek and 90 percent of that is highway miles. I am not a lead foot either. I am wondering if anyone else is having issues after the recall.
Yes I have taken it back to the dealer only for them to tell me nothing is wrong. I have also heard that the crosstrek is sucking oil after the recall. Mine is not doing that but could see a relation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
22 sounds bad to me. I bought my 2014 CVT model used several years ago. I have roughly 60k miles and get a pretty consistent 28 mpg. Mostly in town and short trips. It goes over 30 on the highway. I would not be happy with your reported mileage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is what we used to get then after the recall...poof. The dealership says nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Valve springs have nothing to do with it, I promise. I'm a tech by trade, and build motors for a living, have since the '70's. The springs either work or break, and a break could mean a valve will not close and get hammered by a piston that can destroy it and the valve and cause a catastrophic motor failure at worst. A very costly repair at best.

Driving style, winter fuel, tier 3 fuel, ethanol blend, tire pressure, traffic can all contribute to poorer fuel economy. I have a '13 as well and for a test I averaged 30.6 mpg for the first 6K miles. I drove to get the max possible, except a few runs to 110 mph and several trips from 4200' up to over 9' elevation. My last few tanks are averaging 25-26, been below freezing here, big snow storms too, bad for fuel economy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2013 Crosstrek with CVT and noticed a decline in gas mileage after the valve springs were replaced. I usually leave the center display set to miles until empty. Typically I'd fill up and it would read 360 miles. I then noticed it declining after fill-ups, 350, 340, 330. Tonight it was 310. In late September I started tracking it with a calculator, with numbers starting at 22.48, 23.03, 20.9, and tonight 19.5. I find the trip calculator typically reads on average of 2 MPG higher than using a calculator.

About a month after the valve spring replacement, my wife and I took a trip from Long Island out to Joplin, MO in July. The car never got better than 29 MPG, going or coming. I took that same trip in July of 2015 and got 31 MPG. I also noticed that when the AC was on the car seemed like it was sucking wind as opposed to before. I switched from 87 octane to 89 and it seemed like it's normal self except for MPG. Don't know, the car has 84K plus miles on it now, maybe that's a factor.

I mean knock wood the car's been down to Florida, up to Bar Harbor, ME, out to Joplin, MO twice, and down to D.C. more times than I can count.

My other peeve with the car is the paint on the trailing edge of the hood has pitted showing rust spots. I purchased the paint stick and touched it up. Now pitting in other areas along the trailing edge of the hood. Dealer (Donaldson's Subaru) blamed it on stone chips. The trailing edge of the hood, multiple times???? Knock wood no chips on the hood that would be more likely to get struck. I probably should've taken the car to an autobody shop and had them evaluate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts