Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you in advance for any information, for the last 2 weeks I've been hearing a high pitch spinning sound coming from the motor. The sound is in sync with the revs of the motor, faster I travel the faster and higher the buzzing sound. Weeks ago it would start when the engine started then went away but now is constant even at idle while not moving. Any ideas?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the board.Being that the sound changes with how fast the engine is spinning means that the noise is coming from something that is also spinning.I can't tell you for sure without being there but a "buzzing" sound is most likely the idler pulley on the accessory belt.When you first heard this noise it was only on start up and went away?That sounds like what my '90 Nissan truck was doing.It was the timing chain tensioner.The oil seal was leaking,causing oil pressure to bleed off and the chain to go slack after sitting overnight.When the engine was started,the chain would rattle until oil pressure on the tensioner was restored,the slack in the chain was removed and the sound went away.Perhaps your oil seal has gone from losing pressure overnight to not being able to hold enough pressure to keep the chain tight when the engine is running either.Now once again,it could be anything else on the engine that spins and it's impossible to know for sure without being there to hear it for myself.

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there and welcome to the board.Being that the sound changes with how fast the engine is spinning means that the noise is coming from something that is also spinning.I can't tell you for sure without being there but a "buzzing" sound is most likely the idler pulley on the accessory belt.When you first heard this noise it was only on start up and went away?That sounds like what my '90 Nissan truck was doing.It was the timing chain tensioner.The oil seal was leaking,causing oil pressure to bleed off and the chain to go slack after sitting overnight.When the engine was started,the chain would rattle until oil pressure on the tensioner was restored,the slack in the chain was removed and the sound went away.Perhaps your oil seal has gone from losing pressure overnight to not being able to hold enough pressure to keep the chain tight when the engine is running either.Now once again,it could be anything else on the engine that spins and it's impossible to know for sure without being there to hear it for myself.

Good luck
Thank you Yes, Mechanic says the 3 Idler pulleys and the AC Compressor needs to be replaced. The tensioner is still in good shape. This car costs about an extra $500 every 3 months or so with repairs after repairs. Time for a new ride.

Thank you, again

·
Registered
579 Posts
3 idler pulleys AND the AC compressor?I find it very unlikely that all of those would all go at once.I can see one and maybe 2 but all 4 all at once?I would get a 2nd opinion.If by chance all 4 did go at once it must be because someone over tightened the belt which destroyed the bearings.Replace those parts that really are bad,insure the belt is properly tightened and you shouldn't have any more trouble with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3 idler pulleys AND the AC compressor?I find it very unlikely that all of those would all go at once.I can see one and maybe 2 but all 4 all at once?I would get a 2nd opinion.If by chance all 4 did go at once it must be because someone over tightened the belt which destroyed the bearings.Replace those parts that really are bad,insure the belt is properly tightened and you shouldn't have any more trouble with it.
Going to another dealer today, we'll see what they say. I'll keep you posted.. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, the sound was coming from the 1 of the 3 idler pulleys, but I changed both center idler pulleys and the sound is GONE. my gosh so happy. Turned out that the AC compressor is still good "knock on wood". Thanks to MarioAndretti for the advice.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I'm glad to hear that you got it fixed without getting ripped off.If it was all 4 then can you just imagine the racket it would have been making.You say you took it to another dealer?If it was a dealer you went to the first time then I would go back and give the service manager an ear full.Tell him that by trying to make a dishonest buck by playing the customer for dumb it has come back to bite him.Tell him that not only did the techs cost the company money by not getting the job from you,but they will also lose money in the future when word gets around about their shady practice.I would also inform him that you will be reporting him to Subaru of America.SOA hates anything but 100% positive reviews and I don't think that a review could get much more negative than yours.

So you think it's time for a new ride because of the cost of repairs?Stop going to that dealer and the cost to keep your ride going will likely be much less.Unnecessary repairs do tend to add up quickly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts