Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the 4:35 mark of a recent NADA interview Mr. Tom Doll SOA CEO, stated the Crosstrek Sport and Limited will get the 2.5. He didn't state when or where. Canada and America? Anyone know any specifics? e.g. can we get the 6MT with the 2.5 in America please? If yes, take my money... I'm unable to post the video link as this is my 1st thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Super Moderator
2013 XV Crosstrek, Tangerine Orange
3,436 Posts
Here's a link for the those of us who are post-Facebook:

Super interesting! He confirms that later this year we'll get a Sport version of the Crosstrek, and that both that version and the current Limited will get the 2.5!

·
Super Moderator
3,436 Posts
At the 4:35 mark of a recent NADA interview Mr. Tom Doll SOA CEO, stated the Crosstrek Sport and Limited will get the 2.5. He didn't state when or where. Canada and America? Anyone know any specifics?
Since Doll is head of Subaru of America, this confirms that we’ll be getting the larger engine in the USA, probably at the time the 2021 model year cars are introduced this fall. He said the new engine will be for the Sport and Limited models, so presumably the base and Premium models will still have the 2.0 engine. If that’s the case, you won’t be able to get the MT with the larger engine.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Since Doll is head of Subaru of America, this confirms that we’ll be getting the larger engine in the USA, probably at the time the 2021 model year cars are introduced this fall. He said the new engine will be for the Sport and Limited models, so presumably the base and Premium models will still have the 2.0 engine. If that’s the case, you won’t be able to get the MT with the larger engine.
so the rub is the 2.5L will cost you $5k. hmmmmm. I wonder what the sport will cost (and what it is). this could make others vehicles like the RAV4 more attractive.

·
Super Moderator
3,436 Posts
Is it true that Subaru does not even have a manual transmission for the 2.5?
I think the Forester's current 2.5 was modified a little for the current generation of Forester, and they don't make MT Foresters anymore ... so that exact engine has never been an MT vehicle, but it's pretty similar to the previous 2.5 that was used in MT Foresters, so making it work wouldn't be too much of a deal.

But Subaru is going to have to make a variety of tuning, suspension, and other adjustments to put the 2.5 into the Crosstrek, and some of that would vary depending on the transmission used ... so I think it's super-unlikely that they'd do that work twice just to offer the manual in a higher-trim car. Lots of people here claim to like the manual, but nearly everybody who doesn't hang out in car forums buys the CVT ... I'd guess manuals are less than 10% of the Crosstrek's US sales. So in the big picture, it just isn't worth it for Subaru.

·
Super Moderator
3,436 Posts
so the rub is the 2.5L will cost you $5k. hmmmmm. I wonder what the sport will cost (and what it is). this could make others vehicles like the RAV4 more attractive.
It'll be interesting to see ... but the way the Forester lineup is structured is probably a clue. The Forester has a Sport trim level between Premium and Limited. More orange accents, to make @AstroKats happy! :D

·
Super Moderator
3,436 Posts
so how is the sport different and how is it priced compared to limited and premium?
Just go to Subaru.ca and take a look. :)

But keep in mind that the Canadian trim levels aren't the same as US trim levels. We're not going to know anything for sure until the 2021 Crosstreks are announced this summer.

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
901 Posts
It would be a crying shame if a "Sport" trim level didn't have at least the option of a stick shift.
That said... I wouldn't be surprised.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Just go to Subaru.ca and take a look. :)

But keep in mind that the Canadian trim levels aren't the same as US trim levels. We're not going to know anything for sure until the 2021 Crosstreks are announced this summer.
sport is priced between the two so we're talking roughly $3k for 2.5L. I could live with that

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
In the video in post #3, it is at 4:30 .

·
Registered
832 Posts
Wow, I'm blown away! Been waiting for an announcement like this for years. No way in hell did I think Subaru would introduce a new trim AND a more potent engine for the Crosstrek in the middle of a generation. This news puts a new Crosstrek back on my radar when I look to trade up a year or two. Props to Subaru for listening to the wants of their loyal fans!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts