Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2023 Limited
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of my Crosstrek 2 months ago. Really like the car so far (3k miles). It replaced a 2009 Honda CRV EXL AWD with 236k miles. We bought it new and it turned out to be a great car, my wife and both kids drove it as there daily. I took it over with 185k miles on it, drove it for 3 years as commuter and traded it in( I have a Tundra Rock Warrior 196k miles). Both still mechanically sound and super clean for there year.

My question is at start up the motor sounds like it starts dry, is this normal for a 2.5 L? My thoughts are if oil is not getting to specific parts at start up they will wear quicker. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Premium 6 speed
17 Posts
Congrats on the new Limited!!!

There have been some discussions of startup noise on the forum. Some believe it has to do with where the filter is. It drains back into the motor and upon startup it must refill before heading out to oil the rest of the moving parts. Do a quick search on Oil or Fliters and the threads may show up.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Outdoor - "Trekov"
267 Posts
I took delivery of my Crosstrek 2 months ago. Really like the car so far (3k miles). It replaced a 2009 Honda CRV EXL AWD with 236k miles. We bought it new and it turned out to be a great car, my wife and both kids drove it as there daily. I took it over with 185k miles on it, drove it for 3 years as commuter and traded it in( I have a Tundra Rock Warrior 196k miles). Both still mechanically sound and super clean for there year.

My question is at start up the motor sounds like it starts dry, is this normal for a 2.5 L? My thoughts are if oil is not getting to specific parts at start up they will wear quicker. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum!

The FB25D in my MY21 Crosstrek Outdoor also sounds like an empty can full of nickels being shaken during the first few seconds of a cold start-up. I've been given to understand that Subaru service advisors consider this behavior to be per design.

There are very few reports of premature wear or catastrophic failure for the FB25D boxer engine. If most of your driving is short trip, stop 'n' go urban driving, consider that as "severe service" and increase the frequency of your oil/filter changes. Clean/de-carbon the intake side (intake valves and throttle body) of the GDI boxer engine every 30k miles. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,716 Posts
This 2.5 H engine has been around for a while in the Forester, Legacy and Outback. The April CR magazine on pages 98 and 99 does not show problems with the engines for these vehicles.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Premium 6 speed
17 Posts
I know this is simple minded, but I don't worry about drain back from the filter. If you dip a spoon into oil, then let the spoon drip for awhile, small amounts of oil cling to the spoon well after all the oil that is able has dripped off the spoon.
There is enough lubricant left in the oil passages in the engine and on critical parts to minimize the friction for the several seconds it takes the car to build the oil pressure back up.
i prefer to focus my attention on more pressing matters like house payments, investment opportunities, root canal surgery, well pump replacement, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts