Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been pondering living up north in the summer and heading south in the winter.

I've been looking and found a 13ft camper that's under 2000lbs. This is a "full size style" but short camper.

Apparently, with a 2.0l gas engine in the UK our Treks can handle 1500kg OR 3300lbs.

Curious if anyone has attempted to tow over the US limit or not.

Also, for reference. Subaru XV - Towing Capacity & Weight Limit Information

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,373 Posts
I tow a 3500 lb boat/trailer with mine, and no problems. I run it 100 kph (62 mph) on the freeway. But it is not that far (100 miles) and mostly flat terrain. And I have trailer brakes. Just be sure not to load up too much tongue weight or cargo.

·
Registered
76 Posts
In the UK it's 1400kgs (3087lbs) only with a trailer brake kit. https://www.subaru.co.uk/xv-prices-specifications

It all has to do with heat and the ability for the transmission to dissipate it: The average temperature in July in the UK is 65F. Compare that with the average temp for Texas in July which is 96F. You can also drive across England in about 8 hours.

Subaru US/Canada says that 1500lbs is the max based on our environment. If you're in a climate and distance where you're weather is like the former you're probably safe, if you're in a climate like the latter or driving trans-North America you're going to cook your transmission.

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
In the UK it's 1400kgs (3087lbs) only with a trailer brake kit. https://www.subaru.co.uk/xv-prices-specifications

It all has to do with heat and the ability for the transmission to dissipate it: The average temperature in July in the UK is 65F. Compare that with the average temp for Texas in July which is 96F. You can also drive across England in about 8 hours.

Subaru US/Canada says that 1500lbs is the max based on our environment. If you're in a climate and distance where you're weather is like the former you're probably safe, if you're in a climate like the latter or driving trans-North America you're going to cook your transmission.
It may also have to do with the level of possible legal action over accidents - you can't predict how much someone may sue for in the US and how much the jury will award them!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Good points. I tried to find it and not sure if you were implying there is a "brake kit" available for the crosstrek. I assume trailer brakes only work with a brake controller. I wonder how one would install one on a Crosstrek.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,839 Posts
It may also have to do with the level of possible legal action over accidents - you can't predict how much someone may sue for in the US and how much the jury will award them!
This is a very good point! Tort law in the US is very different from the UK. If something really bad happens and it turns out it just may have been due to exceeding the manufacturer's recommendations, then the sky's the limit. They could go after all of your assets and then some...

Reactions: 241514 and rlouie
1 - 6 of 6 Posts