Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening and thanks in advance for any help. I'm looking to add a subwoofer to my 2014 cc crosstrek and wanted to see if it would work without problems. I have the American Bass XR 10D2 and an amp that will run 1500 watts rms (though the sub is only rated for 1000 but I wanted the overhead to avoid clipping). I wanted to know if this would work on the stock 90a alternator and battery or if I've set my sights to high. Thanks again for any advice!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Stock treks have a fair amount of rattles as is, I can't imagine what you'll shake loose with a 1000 watt sub.

Just a word of warning, hearing loss sucks big time. I can't carry a conversation with my father in law because his hearing is so bad, even with aids. He seems lonely when we go out to eat because he doesn't want to disrupt conversation having to have everything repeated to him. I think about that every time I plan on running my shop vac or power tools. On goes the hearing protection. Science has come a long way, but not far enough yet.

Just something to think about.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your reply. I don't plan on keeping it full blast, but I did want to make sure the car could handle the wattage from the sub playing. I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. I've been in the army for almost 20 years now. Started off as infantry and now fly Blackhawks...two very loud jobs. I too worry about hearing loss and try to protect myself from it.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
416 Posts
Good evening and thanks in advance for any help. I'm looking to add a subwoofer to my 2014 cc crosstrek and wanted to see if it would work without problems. I have the American Bass XR 10D2 and an amp that will run 1500 watts rms (though the sub is only rated for 1000 but I wanted the overhead to avoid clipping). I wanted to know if this would work on the stock 90a alternator and battery or if I've set my sights to high. Thanks again for any advice!
That might be pushing the alternator a bit much- 90Amps x nominal 12Volts = 1080Watts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could be wrong. I googled stock alternator on 2014 Subaru crosstrek and it came up with a 90 amp alternator.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
416 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I put in an American bass xr 10d4 subwoofer with a db15 amp. I have 1,000+ watts running to it with no issues! It sounds great!

·
Registered
145 Posts
A 90A alternator can deliver a theoretical 1080 Watts approx. (P=EI). Given that your amp is nowhere near 100% efficient it needs 20-30% (guesstimate) more than the stated output, so your real draw is higher. The alternator also still has a car to run and a battery to charge so the whole deal sounds mis configured.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I forgot to mention that my car has a 110a alternator. I don't know if I was wrong or the previous owner upgraded but it's a 110a alternator and it's easily sitting at 14.4 watts. All I know is that everything works and sounds great!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Assume you mean 14.4 volts, that doesnt mean much in load terms apart from confirming its working

You should be fine as long as you dont expect full output, which in a car would be ridiculous anyway. Hopefully they are just marketing power levels not real ones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The amp itself is rated for 1500 watts cea rms. Like I said, I only have 1,000 running to the sub. I also listen to metal so I'm sure it's not pulling 1,000. Any time I put on rap, just to see how loud it can get, the lights dim. However, I don't like to push it like that anyway.

·
Registered
260 Posts
So I put in an American bass xr 10d4 subwoofer with a db15 amp. I have 1,000+ watts running to it with no issues! It sounds great! View attachment 303429
I have 6 channels x 120 on my front 3-way, and 1000 watts on my sub with my stock 2018 crosstrek with zero problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts