Check Hybrid System Light

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

QuestionCheck Hybrid System Light

My newly purchased 2015 XV Crosstrek hybrid has been in for repair 2 times already and is showing the same problem again for the third time now. The Hybrid system failure icon comes on, and a red battery warning light comes on, then the warning comes on the screen Check Hybrid System, and it instructs me to turn engine off and restart, consult owner's manual. This is the same set of warnings I got the first time, when they replaced the serpentine belt and tensioner, and the 2nd time, when they replaced the generator, and now I'm still getting the same warnings. I'll drive it back to Subaru service tomorrow morning. If it does as before it will also give me an "engine overheating" warning before I get to the dealer's. This is very discouraging that they haven't gotten to the bottom of the problem yet.
    This car looks new and well cared-for, but with the same problem 3 times I don't know if anyone knows what's going on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I had the same problem but without the engine overheating light. The dealer replaced the ISG as a "one time good will" and that took care of it. Since they've already attempted to fix yours, they shouldn't charge anything else this time, but that is annoying to have to go back. After this fiasco, I bought a tool to read all the hybrid codes with SSM3 so I can diagnose it myself in the future. If you're in LA, I'd be happy to read the codes for you.

I've read about this in other threads...the likely culprit is the engine restart battery (passenger side battery). Go to batteries plus and replace it with the same battery that a 2016 Toyota Prius uses (cost is around $200)...they'll know which one it is. Do not replace it at the dealership as they will charge you $700+ for it. Also note that it's recommended to remove the + of the auxiliary battery (drivers side) for at least 10 sec after the passenger side battery is installed (will reset the system - unfortunately you will need to rested date/time and nav functions - but a small price to pay). Hope this helps!