Hybrid Model Year 2014 to 2016 Engine Start/Stop Battery Replacement

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

ExclamationEngine Start/Stop Battery Replacement

Hi all! I'm new to the thread and a little new to Subaru. I bought a used 2014 XV Crosstrek Hybrid Touring 2 years ago and I recently started having problems with the engine restart stop/start battery (front passenger side). I took it to the dealership and they said the battery is dead and I need to replace it but quoted me at about $800. I looked on the forum and found there were 2 cheaper battery options that people have used as a replacement. Has anyone had any long term experience good or bad with these 2 batteries??? Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM BCI Group S46B24R Car and Truck Battery https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli51pagm or Optima 46B24R Prius Yellow Top Starting Battery OPT8171-767 https://www.batteriesplus.com/replac...4r/opt8171=767

Does anyone know the actual specs of the Subaru battery replacement so I can compare it to the 2 cheaper battery options above? I can't seem to find them anywhere online and I hate to get a cheaper option if it won't work or will screw up the hybrid system.

This battery going dead makes me REALLYYYYYYYYY nervous about the large expensive battery in the trunk going dead......

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I bought the Duracell from Batteries Plus. Had them replace the other battery at the same time. Shop stores though, it was cheaper at the store near my girlfriends house than it was here at home. I think it was near $300 for both batteries.

--md

That's good to know! I don't think I'll need to replace my other battery yet though. How long have you had your Duracell start/stop battery? Any problems?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

It's been in the car for a little less than six months. No issues at all. The original batteries were four years old and I did notice some of the symptoms others were experiencing.

--md

I just replaced this battery today on my car (2015) using the Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM BCI Group S46B24R. So obviously no long term experience, but some research and details I can share.

Spec for this battery is 450A CCA; you can see OEM model N55-R.
    Screenshot_20190112-181439_Drive.jpg

My battery was diagnosed by the dealer in response to a check engine light. Don't think this is the cause of my check engine though since it came on while my car was running.

EV mode was still working fine with my old battery, tested at 323A CCA. The Duracell is warrantied at 410A CCA to 4 years; new out of BatteriesPlus mine tested at 488A CCA. The warrantied value is below spec, but it's a no brainer over a $700+ battery that's maybe warrantied to spec for only a year.

BatteriesPlus associates were very helpful. Optima is warrantied to spec value of 450A. But comment from associate was that since Optima moved manufacturing to Mexico it feels like return/warranty rate has gone from 10% to 35%. Couldn't recall a Duracell return.

Okay good to know!
    Quote Originally Posted by mdowning View Post
    It's been in the car for a little less than six months. No issues at all. The original batteries were four years old and I did notice some of the symptoms others were experiencing.

--md

Thanks for the image! That helps a lot! I still don't fully understand all the battery talk/specs but it looks like the Duracell matches up to the OEM battery. The warranty is definitely better than the OEM.

It's frustrating the cruise control is disabled when the hybrid warning light is on so I will probably try out this cheaper replacement!

Quote Originally Posted by altair View Post
    I just replaced this battery today on my car (2015) using the Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM BCI Group S46B24R. So obviously no long term experience, but some research and details I can share.

Spec for this battery is 450A CCA; you can see OEM model N55-R.
    Screenshot_20190112-181439_Drive.jpg

My battery was diagnosed by the dealer in response to a check engine light. Don't think this is the cause of my check engine though since it came on while my car was running.

EV mode was still working fine with my old battery, tested at 323A CCA. The Duracell is warrantied at 410A CCA to 4 years; new out of BatteriesPlus mine tested at 488A CCA. The warrantied value is below spec, but it's a no brainer over a $700+ battery that's maybe warrantied to spec for only a year.

BatteriesPlus associates were very helpful. Optima is warrantied to spec value of 450A. But comment from associate was that since Optima moved manufacturing to Mexico it feels like return/warranty rate has gone from 10% to 35%. Couldn't recall a Duracell return.

This was very helpful! My EV would not engage, I saw this thread and installed the recommended Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM BCI Group S46B24R battery. Now it works great and the EV mode kicks in when it should - Thank you for saving me $600+!!!