XV Hybrid - Inflated Tire Pressure

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: XV Hybrid - Inflated Tire Pressure

XV Hybrid - Inflated Tire Pressure

Hello everyone,

I purchased my new XV Hybrid in late March and since then I’ve only reached an average of 27 mpg (mostly city driving) each time I fill up with gas. I’ve noticed other owners experiencing 30+ mpg but for some reason I cannot get there. Granted, they say you should you not worry about your gas mileage until after your break-in period of 1,000 miles and I only have 600 but it does make me wonder what I should expect going forward.

The one thing I have noticed after I purchased the car, is when I took it home and gave it a once over I noticed the tire pressure to be 42 psi in each of the tires. I looked in the manual and noticed the front should be 32 and the rear to be 30 so I let out the air to meet the manufacture’s requirement.

I’m wondering if the reason some folks are getting better gas mileage is due to those folks having 40+ psi in their tires. For those of you getting expected mileage could you report what psi is in your tires?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Welcome aboard. I do not recommend running tires at 42 psi. It would make your ride extremely harsh plus you could wear out the center portion of your tire for being over inflated. Go with the 32 & 30. Most engines need at least 3000 miles to loosen up. The warmer weather will also increase your mileage.

They often ship them out with overinflated tires, your dealer should have set the pressure properly as normal setup. I got mine around the same time and am averaging 28.8mpg with mostly city driving. Your driving habits are a big factor so be mindful of them. MPG will get better with summer gas and continuing break in.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

My dealer had 40 psi on my tires when I picked up my car too! I don't get it at all...

I took it down to the 32/30 recommended pressure and since I've had the car I'm at 28.8 mpg. But with the latest fillups over the past month, I've been above 30. So I think you're right that after break-in you'll notice a little boost but the most impactful thing is how you drive and avoiding big hills, drastic acceleration/braking, etc. If you can keep it in electric mode during bumper-to-bumper traffic or going downhill, you'll notice a huge boost.

Hey you got the same one I do! A 2014 XV Crosstrek Hybrid Touring, Ice Silver Metallic. I just put some chrome fog light covers on and they look sharp. I prefer the silver over the green and with the silver rear led tailights it looks better.
    PS I put in blue lighting too cause it ties in with the dash display and blue is more "electric"
    PPS To make this more on topic I checked my tire pressure and it was high too so the moral is to check your pressure as soon as you get it home and often thereafter.
    Last edited by wlsinwi; 04-18-2014 at 05:46 PM.
    2018 Crosstrek Limited DGM with pkg 23

Thats pretty bad for a hybrid. My standard XV is averaging 30mpg mostly city, some highway.

Check your tire pressure in the cold. Then make sure your tire pressure is at least 32psi. If you are dropping the tire pressure to 32 after the car has been driven a little, its most likely that the cold pressure rating is probably around 28 or so. I keep mine at 36psi cold. I get the best mpg from that spec.

Checked my tires over the weekend and they were in 40-42 PSI. Brought it down to 34/32 (like to give a little extra to account for temperature drops). Instant ride improvement. Didn't seem to affect mpg.

Looks like that's a standard for Hybrids out of the factory. Probably to account for different climatic conditions and possible long dealer storage. It would be nice if dealers would adjust the tire pressure to recommended when delivering a new car though...

Our 14 Outback was at 42 psi all around from the dealer. Our 14 Crosstrek was 46 (ish) psi. I lowered them both when I discovered it. Funny part is, I took the Outback in for an oil change and they were back at 40+ when I got it back. I had a stern talking with the service manager, and told them to leave their paws off my pressures. I'm not sure why they are doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by gytrdun View Post
    Our 14 Outback was at 42 psi all around from the dealer. Our 14 Crosstrek was 46 (ish) psi. I lowered them both when I discovered it. Funny part is, I took the Outback in for an oil change and they were back at 40+ when I got it back. I had a stern talking with the service manager, and told them to leave their paws off my pressures. I'm not sure why they are doing that.
    My guess would be, they are trying to prevent accidental tire under inflation. By that I mean, owner who forget to check their tire pressure regularly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

when i put 40lbs in mine the lite comes on the dash as overinflated.max i can put in without the lite coming on is 38lbs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast